Cannot connect to server remotely via iPhone

Baer2020

Baer2020

Hello,

I have set up Emby on my server and it seems to be working well for internal network use. I am having a heck of a time getting it to work for remote use though.

I have the Emby app on my iPhone and iPad and have been testing getting the app to connect remotely by turning off Wifi and turning on 4G. The Emby apps just will not connect remotely no matter what I've tried - I've got the user account I'm trying to use tied to my Emby Connect account, I have Emby Premiere, and I've even tried to add the server manually via the remote (WAN) access IP, but no dice. Whenever I try to log in to Emby Connect on the app, it just kicks me back to the start screen and says "Connection Failure" whenever I try to connect to my server remotely.

Could I get some assistance with resolving this?

Thanks!

• Like 1

rodainas
4 minutes ago, Baer2020 said:

IP1 = local IP address

IP2 = remote IP address

Capture_1.PNG

Capture_2.PNG

Capture_3.PNG

Change the public ports on emby settings to another number

Example

public http 7345

public https 7356

And use those numbers as external and leave internal ports as it is on your router forwarding

example

external 7345 forward to internal 8096

external 7356 forward to internal 8920

Baer2020

Just tried that and no dice unfortunately. Still just getting a connect error when I try to use the Emby app on 4G, or try to connect directly to the IP address+port on Safari on my iPhone.Capture_4.thumb.PNG.4556537437c4b50c9d83d7ac677a66c0.PNGCapture_5.thumb.PNG.8bb80e9763754d92e1f41533729dd78b.PNGCapture_6.png.ed6328b7dbb5b24376dc4ff767d0a4e9.png

rodainas
59 minutes ago, Baer2020 said:

And here's a tracert as well:

Capture.PNG

On what system are your running emby server? 

Could be some firewall blocking connections to it.

jonborgkid

I can’t connect through the iOS app either. I’ve tried setting up port forwarding and everything, but remote connection won’t work. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Craigjcfc said:

Has anyone had any luck with this? I’ve tried everything and it just won’t connect 

Hi there, what exactly have you tried?

Craigjcfc

Everything listed in this thread and some others. I did manager to connect my iPad via Safari while on the home WiFi network but only once. Can’t get the app to work at all

On 8/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, Craigjcfc said:

Everything listed in this thread and some others. I did manager to connect my iPad via Safari while on the home WiFi network but only once. Can’t get the app to work at all

Hi there, are you able to use the web interface on your server machine?

Craigjcfc

Yeah, on a Mac mini. I just managed to get my iPhone connected via 4g but not WiFi via the app and my iPad via WiFi will play via safari but not connect via the app (iPad is WiFi only)

On 8/31/2021 at 9:59 AM, Craigjcfc said:

Yeah, on a Mac mini. I just managed to get my iPhone connected via 4g but not WiFi via the app and my iPad via WiFi will play via safari but not connect via the app (iPad is WiFi only)

That sounds a lot like the local network permission like I mentioned above. I would take a look at that.

• 2 months later...
wpoulson

I also really need help here.  I've been a premier member for almost two years and did nothing until recently when I decided to redo my server, changing from WHS 2011 to Windows 10.

Problem is I can't get my iphone 11 with the Emby app to connect to the server.  I've read thru the above.  On the Emby app on phone, I've signed into Emby Connect when I select my server, which pops up, it just comes back connection failed.  I've uninstalled Bitdefender because I thought that was creating some problems and Microsoft Defender firewall is disabled as well.  Before uninstalling Bitdefender I could not connect from another PC connected to my LAN (same as the Emby server machine) with Emby theater; however, after uninstalling Bitdefender, I can connect Emby theater PC to Emby server PC over LAN, but still not connect over Wifi with the Emby app on my iphone 11.

Interestingly, I am having a similar problem with an iphone app version of Lights Out (Server Management Software) where I can't connect to the server from the Lights Out iphone app to the Server's Lights out console.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Warren

Hi, I noticed you have your router setup for ports 7345 & 7356.
Please show us what settings you have setup in Networking menu on the Emby Dashboard.

If you go to canyouseeme.org and run a port test on 7345 & 7356 what results do you get?

If on a home computer in a browser what happens if you try to go to this page? http:\\192.168.1.1:7345

If you can send me a PM with the Remote access URL shown on the dashboard I can validate this from my side as well for you.

wpoulson

Cayars

Thanks for the reply. I’m on the road with work for a few days but will get the info and get back yo you when I get back

cheers

Warren

• 3 months later...
pleasantcrew
On 7/16/2021 at 10:04 AM, Baer2020 said:

Hello,

I have set up Emby on my server and it seems to be working well for internal network use. I am having a heck of a time getting it to work for remote use though.

I have the Emby app on my iPhone and iPad and have been testing getting the app to connect remotely by turning off Wifi and turning on 4G. The Emby apps just will not connect remotely no matter what I've tried - I've got the user account I'm trying to use tied to my Emby Connect account, I have Emby Premiere, and I've even tried to add the server manually via the remote (WAN) access IP, but no dice. Whenever I try to log in to Emby Connect on the app, it just kicks me back to the start screen and says "Connection Failure" whenever I try to connect to my server remotely.

Could I get some assistance with resolving this?

Thanks!

@Baer2020 did you ever get this issue resolved? If so, how did you resolve the issue? Im having the same remote connectivity issues.