Headless Pi music player similar to Rasplex?

leed

Hi all, I'm try to figure out if I can replicate my Plex setup with Emby because I've become very disenchanted with Plex for various reasons. Right now I have multiple Rasberry Pis set up as headless music players with Rasplex. They are controlled with the Plex app. It works well, and with the Hifiberry + pro DAC hat, the sound quality is phenomenal.

Will the Pi image described in the post pinned to the top of this forum work? Is it updated? (the post itself is from 2016). Will it boot into Emby automatically upon powering up? Or, should I explore a Kodi & Emby for Kodi based solution?

has anyone dome anything similar? Just looking for any insight into the best way to replicate my current Plex/Rasplex music setup using headless Pis as clients, as it works very well for me. If I can do everything with Emby, I might even be able to retire my Plex server which I've used for years entirely, as I've been impressed with the Emby Server for Movies and Live TV/ DVR, and the client apps for LG, Roku, and Emby Theater for PC. I think Emby will definitely meet my needs in those areas, but I'm unsure about music.

Thanks so much!

Hi, yes it is updated and can auto launch, but you will need a monitor for at least initial setup. After that I would think you will be fine headless.

One problem though...is there seriously no way to scrobble tracks played to last.fm?? If there is I can't find it. Seems like there *used to* be that capability? If true, I can't use Emby for music. I've scrobbled everything since 2007! Total deal breaker *sigh*

chacawaca

you have a last.fm plugin you can install, but the major problem for headless, is you cant see your queue list from a remote device at this moment. 

One problem though...is there seriously no way to scrobble tracks played to last.fm?? If there is I can't find it. Seems like there *used to* be that capability? If true, I can't use Emby for music. I've scrobbled everything since 2007! Total deal breaker *sigh*

Why do you feel this way? Have you not explored the emby plugin catalog?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I sounded pissy in the last post. I'm trying to be better about my tone, online. Which a lot of us should do (in general as a society, not necessarily speaking of this forum or anyone in it. Everyone seems nice here, so far).

The last.fm plug-in appeared to be for metadata only. I didn't see the word scrobble.

If the plug in does scrobble, I will install it and be on my merry way. And if it does, I would humbly submit that it should be more clear about that as the description says merely: "Downloads metadata and images from Last.FM."

@@chacawaca "the major problem for headless, is you can't see your queue list from a remote device at this moment." Thanks for the info. That would negatively impact usability, but not necessarily be a deal breaker. In fact, one non-Plex solution I'm considering is using Roon to listen to music at home, and also maintain an Emby music library to be able to sync to my phone via the Android Emby app (since Roon lacks any thing like that). I haven't explored syncing with Emby yet, any reason why I couldn't do that?

Thanks again Luke and Chacawaca

Cheers!

• 1 year later...
Whyglobaleyes

Apologies because I suspect I'm being v incompetent. Please can someone give me a link to the post that Leed talked about at the start of the thread? What do I need to install on the pi to set up [headless pizero/ DAC/ amp/ speakers] as an emby playback device please? 

And to think all that is just to get around the fact that the Google Home can't be set up as an emby player

If I get the headless pi set up as a playback device then phase 2 will be to set up mycroft on it - - - then ditch the Google Home!!

thanks in advance.

Whyglobaleyes

Hmm. That's rather fine. 47 min later and it's working! watching Kylie videos on the pi controlled by my phone!

not such a late night.

Many thanks Luke, and Leed for starting the thread in the first place.

BW & probably see you soon with more questions!