Playback error when playing .AVI

GedMan69

Hi, you restricted user access to transcoding. That's why you're having a problem as this media is not supported by the browser.

GedMan69

Great , thanks.

I managed to fix the problem.

Edited by GedMan69

Detail4687

Great , thanks.

I managed to fix the problem.

How did you fix it. I am having the same problem

How did you fix it. I am having the same problem

Please attach the emby server log. Thanks !

Detail4687

So, in case it seems strange...

I have a 4k media file, "Logan.2017.2160p.BluRay.x265.10bit.SDR.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos" (if any of that data helps) and I have a problem playing the file...

• When playing locally in Emby via Chrome (on the same computer that Emby is running) I get Playback Error - No Compatible Streams are currently available.  Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details

• However, when I play it remotely, such as on a Roku TV (I tried two) or on my Pixel 3 phone, the video plays, but I get massive artifacts on the screen. (see screenshot).

• When I play the file locally using VLC, Windows 10 Movie/TV app or Windows Media Player is plays perfectly.

• Note: I have a very high-end desktop and I have many 4k movies and they all seem to work. I have restarted Emby and Windows a few times.

Log.txt

Log (1).txt

Log (2).txt

Log (3).txt

Log (4).txt

Log (5).txt

post-412352-0-21456300-1557379734_thumb.jpg

Detail4687

oops sorry.

I played the file three times in this order:

1. local chrome (didn't play atll)
  2. remote chrome (played with artifacts)
  3. pixel (played with artifacts).

the logs are in order: log, log(1), log(2) etc.  Not sure why there where so many logs, but I rebooted Emby before running this test, and just all logs created from then until I stopped.

Detail4687

Interesting develop.... if I cast the movie to a Chromecast from my phone (via the Emby app) it plays fine!  (but still plays incorrectly on the phone itself using the Emby app).  I hope this help diagnose the problem.

Detail4687

I downloaded the movie (sync'ed acutally) to my pixel phone. Then played on the phone via Emby and it played with the artifacts. I played the file with VLC for Android and it played perfectly, just like on my windows 10machine.

Detail4687

Ok. I have another new file that has the same behaviour.  I used VideoInspector to see if there are any difference in the codec compared to one of my many other 4k videos that do work:

1) original file that doesn't work (the one referenced in this thread)..

5cd52011a3611_original.png

2) new file that also doesn't work....

5cd52037d54dd_Screenshot20190509at234832

3) one of many 4k files that does work...

5cd52062933a9_works.png

the only differnce that I can see the number of audio channels.

I hope this helps. Thanks

mrfragger

Perhaps related to 10- bit HDR, HDR+, Dolby Vision, etc. This stuff is gonna take a couple years to get smoothed out most likely.

Detail4687

Perhaps related to 10- bit HDR, HDR+, Dolby Vision, etc. This stuff is gonna take a couple years to get smoothed out most likely.

the 10-bit is another commonality between the two files that don't play. Perhaps this is the problem?  But I wonder if this is an easy fix for Emby, since both files play via vlc, windows movie/tv, windows media player and on chromecast.

Have you considered using our media conversion feature to convert the avi to a more streaming friendly format?

Detail4687

I did not know emby could convert media (other than transcoding).  Where can I find out more about that?

mrfragger

Just under user settings enable convert then on a particular folder or video click the three dots ... and choose convert.

• Like 1

Detail4687

thanks.  I just tried it, and unforntunately it converted the file to a 1080p.  What I was hoping it would convert it to 8bit but leave it 4k

thanks.  I just tried it, and unforntunately it converted the file to a 1080p.  What I was hoping it would convert it to 8bit but leave it 4k

@@mptpro, did you explore the options in the conversion dialog? it has an original quality option.

Detail4687

@@Luke I selected "original" but here is what happened....

1) this is the original 10-bit 4k file that didn't play correctly...

5cda69c80eaef_Screenshot.jpg

2) I set the conversion to "original"

5cda6a054a314_Screenshot20190513at231436

3) the output file went down to 1080p.

5cda6a2bb40b4_Screenshot1.jpg

Detail4687

Another thing I discovered with the original problem... the 4k 10bit files play fine with Emby Theather, but not in the Chrome web browser and Android app.  It'd be great if we can figure this out, then I don't need to convert the files at all!

Looks like you have multiple versions of that item, correct?

I don't think the conversion process is fully aware of the different versions such that you can choose which one is going to get converted.

Side question:  Why in the name of ... do you have a 4K HEVC item inside an AVI container?  That's like sticking a McLaren engine on a tricycle... ;)

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

Side question:  Why in the name of ... do you have a 4K HEVC item inside an AVI container?  That's like sticking a McLaren engine on a tricycle... ;)

Like the guy that attached a jet assisted take off engine to a Pinto and ended up embedded in the side of a cliff? (He did win a Darwin award.) 

But I agree that AVI is NOT the container that an advanced codec belongs in. For that matter AVI is a container that we all should be trying to get off our systems as time allows. Mostly the conversion process to a more advanced container is easy and can be done in the background and, once converted to MP4 or MKV, most systems will have no problems playing it and, if there are one of the rare problems, being in an advanced container can make troubleshooting easier because the container does not get in the way. 

Detail4687

Looks like you have multiple versions of that item, correct?

I don't think the conversion process is fully aware of the different versions such that you can choose which one is going to get converted.

Side question: Why in the name of ... do you have a 4K HEVC item inside an AVI container? That's like sticking a McLaren engine on a tricycle... ;)

No, only one file.

I don't have an avi file. It's mkv

2njxbSV.png

Edited by mptpro

Detail4687

But the larger issue is why the files play properly with:

Emby theatre

Vlc

Chromecast

Windows Media player

Window movie & tv

Vlc on Android after downloading media to phone

But do not play properly (or at all) with:

Emby in chrome (localjost)

Emby in chrome remote

Emby on Roku (testing on 2 Roku tv, and one Roku ultra)

Emby on android

I don't have an avi file. It's mkv

Sorry.  This thread is labeled "Playback Error when playing AVI".

Anyway, in your case, it looks like the system thinks you have more than one version (based on  your screenshot).  Can  you drop down that "Version" field?  What is in it?