How can I use srt subtitle files to play a movie with subtitles on Freenas Emby server?

zpm100

Senna

Whatever I do, I can't watch films with subtitles. Subtitles never appear.

Describe what you did please, in more detail.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

When you add a movie first to a library and you see it appearing after a library scan, when you manually add subtitles (=>not with Emby) after that step , you have to re-scan that library again (with refresh metadata for new and updated files) for Emby to register your manually added subtitles.

zpm100

I scan the library every time. The srt filenames matches the mkv filenames. When I want to play a movie on tv, it just doesn't start. When I disable the subtitle mode to No subtitles, the movie is playing flawlessly just without the subtitle.

I'm using freenas and Emby server 4.0.2.0
The srt and the mkv file are in the same library.

Senna

Again, more info please, like which TV platform your run the Emby app on.

What does the Emby server dashboard display in "Active devices" for your TV, when trying to play that movie with subtitles ?

And does that same movie play in the Emby Web app with subtitles on ?

zpm100

Tv: Sony BRAVIA KDL-40HX750

I'm streaming movies using DLNA. Emby doesn't even see my television when the subtitles should be shown.

In the Emby Web app subtitles are on and everything is fine.

I guess my tv is too old for Emby :/

• 11 months later...
Hologramman

Hi Luke! I have the same problem on LG OLED65C9PLA tv. So I add the subtitle file with the same name as the movie file to the same folder. Re-scan the server. I start the movie on the tv, and I add the "extra" subtitle and after some "thinking" it starts the english one, not mine. It's also strange that, when I jump to an other part of the movie, it takes very long time and my computer starts to work as hell, this takes around 5-10 seconds. In other case, when I don't add extra subtitle, it works within 1 second, without extra computing. I use a very powerfull new pc with win 10 and it communicates via DLNA with the server.  I dont have any idea what can be the problem, can you help me with this?

Best Wishes!

Walter

Hi Luke! I have the same problem on LG OLED65C9PLA tv. So I add the subtitle file with the same name as the movie file to the same folder. Re-scan the server. I start the movie on the tv, and I add the "extra" subtitle and after some "thinking" it starts the english one, not mine. It's also strange that, when I jump to an other part of the movie, it takes very long time and my computer starts to work as hell, this takes around 5-10 seconds. In other case, when I don't add extra subtitle, it works within 1 second, without extra computing. I use a very powerfull new pc with win 10 and it communicates via DLNA with the server.  I dont have any idea what can be the problem, can you help me with this?

Best Wishes!

Walter

Hi there @@Hologramman, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !