Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

BeRealBud

I've sent my logs. Everything is running fine on my mi box, but with my Shield it's another story. It seems if my bit rate is set to being above the original bit rate this issue happens.

I've sent my logs. 

... use this button to send the log.  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

I don't see any obvious issues there but you are using someone else's server so there are any number of possible variables between your app and their server.  Perhaps the bitrate is just too high to play smoothly?

BeRealBud

I'm able to use emby off my mi box with the bit rate set to max without an issue. Only my Shield is giving me issues. And what's weird is that if I watch a video with a bit rate of 50mb/s I'll have to set the Max bit rate to 45 and then the video will play fine. And then I could watch a show that inherently a low bit rate of 5mb/s and the video will continue to pause until I set the rate lower than 5...even though I was just watching a video with a much higher bit rate set.

pir8radio

Hey sorry, I'm new so I'm a noob when it comes to finding the things you're asking for. I'm using bacon feet at the moment.

I would probably open up a support ticket with them first.

• Like 1

BeRealBud

That was the first thing I did. I'm about to hop onto the Nvidia forums soon because I'm starting to think that this was all caused from the latest 7.2 experience update...

Edited by BeRealBud
  • Like 1

EricGRIT09

I'm having what seems to be a similar issue:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65882-shield-tv-4k-stutterbuffering/

Is yours "pausing" as in you need to click play again to start it back up?  Or is it stuttering/buffering and resuming as soon as it catches up, so to speak?

I've seen mention of this here and there but I haven't seen any changes in behavior on my end - wondering if this may be happening to others with high bitrate concent.  In my original thread I mentioned 4k specifically but this does happen now on some of might high bitrate 1080p content as well, not necessarily HDR and not necessarily Atmos content - just high bitrate it seems.  I can play back the same files in Plex or other players no problem, so it doesn't seem to be a network or Shield problem overall.  Difference in players, I would imagine, but really hoping for a fix as I can't seem to play many of my files.

Edited by EricGRIT09

If you guys are running your Shields hardwired, you might try switching to wireless as well.  Sounds crazy, I know, but you should try it...

mikkelnl

I may have a similar issue. It seems purely random, but during playback (direct play, no transcoding) playback will pause every few minutes sometimes, and resume play after 1-3 seconds.

I'll try the wireless suggestion!

pir8radio

If you guys are running your Shields hardwired, you might try switching to wireless as well.  Sounds crazy, I know, but you should try it...

Yea worked for me...   My wired network is clearly faster than my wireless, but I did this to humor ebr, and surprisingly it worked. something is slowing down the wired connection within the nvidia, whether that in emby, the OS, or hardware I have no clue. 

Edited by pir8radio

Wireless didn't fix it for me...

Driving me insane: Plex is horrible, wanting to switch to Emby but it is having other issues :)

Are you using the same service BeRealBud is?

mikkelnl

Do you have your own server or are you using someone else's?

Ah ok. I’m running emby server for android, latest beta. In that topic Luke already checked my logs: it doesn’t seem to be a server issue.

So server and player are both on the shield. Tried the google play store app and now also tried the beta app.

So server and player are both on the shield. Tried the google play store app and now also tried the beta app.

Okay, so you have the device doing double duty here so it could simply be that it cannot handle whatever bitrate your dealing with.  Or, there could be a latency or bottleneck issue with the network or elsewhere...

EricGRIT09

Okay, so you have the device doing double duty here so it could simply be that it cannot handle whatever bitrate your dealing with.  Or, there could be a latency or bottleneck issue with the network or elsewhere...

I'm running my server on a dedicated Windows machine and using a Shield as the client - still getting the choppiness.  Tried with WiFi and wired, still seeing the stutter/buffering.  If I direct play via Plex it works fine.  

I'm also a network engineer by trade so if there are some tests you'd like me to run to show network health I'm more than willing.  As a starting point over WiFi I'm seeing actual throughput of 200+mbps on the Shield TV and 350+ on my WiFi bridges before I see any kind of substantial packet loss.

edsanchez07

Hey Guys, 

I am experiencing the same exact issue after upgrading to 7.2 my shield, if I try using a different player like VLC the video run smooth, however, it looks like emby cannot handle the bit rate after the update, I also tried with the embycon add on in Kodi and same issue, I need to force the transcode to be able to play the videos. 

Note: I have 300/100 Mbps that should be enough to reproduce this content.