Emby on Synology DS216play, Not Connecting to internet

Anupam
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

Emby 3.5.3.0 on Synology DS216play with DSM 6.2.1

I have been using emby server on Synology has for a few months now. After a recent reset of NAS ( reinstall) and install of emby server, It fails to connect with external services.

At present I am unable to add emby connect ID, search for meta data, check for updates to emby etc. It's like emby wouldn't connect to internet.

I checked and internet is working fine on nas. I don't recall any extra settings to enable emby to access internet. Is there any?

Could it be that these are related to problem may be at emby's end.?

This is what error message I get when emby tries to check for updates.

Check for application updates failed  
Error: TrustFailure (A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception.) at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager+d__18.MoveNext () [0x006b6] in <8252e50122f84f82af882c36d707f6ce>:0 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager+d__15.MoveNext () [0x001f4] in <8252e50122f84f82af882c36d707f6ce>:0 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at MediaBrowser.Common.Updates.GithubUpdater+d__3.MoveNext () [0x000f6] in <8096af2ef9e24d15a1a7abee7f8324c0>:0 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost+d__382.MoveNext () [0x00136] in <8252e50122f84f82af882c36d707f6ce>:0 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.SystemUpdateTask+d__11.MoveNext () [0x00086] in <8252e50122f84f82af882c36d707f6ce>:0 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker+d__68.MoveNext () [0x00156] in <8252e50122f84f82af882c36d707f6ce>:0

Hi, have you configured a network connection for your Nas? Are you using a VPN?

NO. I am not using VPN.

Yes, NAS is connected to internet. I checked with EZ-Internet, looks fine.

I checked it. NAS is set as DMZ host, so it should be outside firewall restrictions I guess. Port forwarding looks fine. UPNP is enabled.

Ok, all we're trying to do here is contact api.github.com, a very well known host. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you as to what's wrong as it's very likely related to some configuration on your machine or network.

Hello @

Has your IPv6 configuration changed as a result of the reset?

Best

- James

NO.

My LAN uses only IPV4. Nas is given a DHCP reservation in router.

Ok, all we're trying to do here is contact api.github.com, a very well known host. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you as to what's wrong as it's very likely related to some configuration on your machine or network.

May be I can  give a bit more info.

(1) Regarding update failed

I connected to NAS via SSH. I did a ping to api.github.com. Below is the ping result.5bbc1c9674901_ping.jpg

Immediately after, I tried to check for emby updates and it failed.

(2) Now To the second Issue. Emby connect not working

5bbc1d406e0a5_connect.jpg

This is what I get when I enter emby connect ID and click save. As a general rule I have checked and reched the id multiple times before makeing noise about this.

(3) Issue 3: Failuure to get meta data from IMDB.

IMDB is my goto source to manually point to gather meta data. So I am using it in this case.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7134908/ This is the content I have and I would like emby to get the meta. Emby failed to recognise the files during scan and I decided to try manually.

5bbc1e61ab97a_imdb_meta_start.jpg

5bbc1e90889c1_imdb_meta_fail.jpg

That is what happened. I did a ping test to www.imdb.com from nas via ssh. It works.

5bbc1ebd7ce0d_ping_imdb.jpg

solabc16

Hello @

Thanks for the additional information, which seems to indicate that you have no http/https access from this machine to the Internet.

We can see that DNS resolution and ICMP echo requests appear to be working ok.

With regard to IPv6, my question is whether or not it has reverted to auto-configured and may have previously been set to off as a result of the reset:-

DSM -> Control Panel -> Network -> Network Interface -> [id] -> Edit -> IPv6 -> IPv6 Setup -> Off

From an SSH session can you run the following and post the results:-

wget https://api.github.com/repos/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases

Also, please can you run the send logs utility so I can take a look in more detail : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

My IPV6 in NAS was in Auto/ I set it off and rebooted NAS. Tried is issues solved. No change.

Regarding wget in ssh see below.

5bbc7d4d0829b_Capture.jpg

For logs, the file name is sendlogs_A1_synology_monaco_ds216play_20181009T100114UTC.tgz

solabc16

Thanks for the logs @, I've located the cause of this issue.

I hope to publish the fix later today, if not it will be available first thing tomorrow.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello @

I've just published stable release 3.5.3.0-6 for your platform, please can you install and let me know how you get on.

If possible, I'd appreciate if you can send the logs again once installed.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

So, I updated from package center. The issues I mentioned seem to be taken care of. Emby can check for updates, I added emby connect and It contacts imdb for meta.

But a curious thing I noticed is  how meta is gathered. I mean I understand that depending on library size, meta gathering takes time, but here the progress soes to 90% quickly and struggles to get to 96% to 97% and mosty doesn't complete.

The library if for TV content with 12 Titles /Folders with about 500 episodes in total. Also I have already backed up NFO and art previously into the folder itself. So now when I go for refresh all data, the san shows this stubborn behaviour. And the scan looks incomplete.

I mean earlier In home screen My media had auto generated covers.

5bbd737883640_Capture.jpg

Now its like this

5bbd73a17deef_Capture1.jpg

This is a minor issue and I may sound annoying but I felt I had to bring this up too.

Regarding logs, I have sent the new one after update and my testing. sendlogs_A1_synology_monaco_ds216play_20181010T032658UTC.tgz

The initial scan may take a little while. I would just give it time and allow it to finish. Thanks.

But like I said all those folders have nfo and art already in them from earlier (before reset). Nothing new was added. Anyway I will just let the scan be. But it doesn't generate the collage of images for library in my home now which it did earlier.

But like I said all those folders have nfo and art already in them from earlier (before reset). Nothing new was added. Anyway I will just let the scan be. But it doesn't generate the collage of images for library in my home now which it did earlier.

I'm on .NET Core latest beta and all my Movie and TV Show files have .nfo's individually stored with them and their images (posters, backdrops, thumbs, banners and logos) are on a centralized metadata path that is pointed out on each of the said .nfos.

The first time I installed the .NET Core (remember its even faster now specially after 3.6.X.X) the initial sync took 3-4 hours.

I have 7000 movies and 800 tv shows. Roughly.

Furthermore, my initial sync behavior resembled yours. Jumped right onto 87%'ish and then a slow grind to 100%.

All subsequential "scan all libraries" take from 8min to 11min fyi, which is 70% less than it was before. So there you go, the improvement.

So unless you uninstall and reinstall the server alot, I'd say it's normal and just bear with it :D

What do you mean with :

and struggles to get to 96% to 97% and mostly doesn't complete.

?

One more thing, the collages. Just let the sync finish and do it's thing, it will generate them for you.

I have a much harder issue to pinpoint, I've defined custom images to my libraries

4UnU4RV.jpg

and randomly, the server reverts them back to the ugly (imo) collages.  :ph34r: 

Edited by djhifi

solabc16

Hello @

Glad to hear your system is up and running properly again, keep us posted on the scan.

When it completes (or if it doesn't), send me the logs again and I can check through for any residual issues.

Best

- James

@@djhifi, OK. I get your point. I will leave it be. May be its me, I mean I didn't care earlier but few days of close attention made me look every thing too carefully I think.

@@solabc16, Thanks. I will leave it be for now. And when new media is added later I will check on it and keep you posted.

Sonnenheim

Hello, I am in the boat as anupam was. I recently reset my DS214+ with DSM 6.2.1-23824 running Emby Server 3.5.3.0 and "check for application updates" and trying to access the plugin catalogue fails.

I can wget files from github.5bbdbe0f70216_2018101010_51_411921681781

Like mentioned before I turned off IPv6.

Also the library scan finished with downloading correct metadata but no artwork/fanart (there are poster.jpg files in my media directory which seem to be screencaptures)