emby-server doesn't autostart

leb0rtran

leb0rtran

Hi,

I installed emby on debian, but it doesn't start up automatically (not on os startup, not if I press the restart button in emby and not if emby does updates).

I can start it perfectly with

services emby-server start

as root

Can anybody help?

thefirstofthe300

Based on how he is starting the server, it looks like he is running a Debian version that is shipping with Upstart or SysV init, so he would need to run the first command.

leb0rtran

I already tried the first command without luck

update-rc.d emby-server defaults

But should't emby restart correctly without the startup on boot if I press the restart button in the webui?

I think there a problem elsewhere.

Do I need to set some user rights which are not set at install?

I installed and started emby as root, but the process is run as normal user (also called emby at my machine) (at least the "services emby-server status" command indicates this)

hurricanehrndz

I already tried the first command without luck

update-rc.d emby-server defaults

But should't emby restart correctly without the startup on boot if I press the restart button in the webui?

I think there a problem elsewhere.

Do I need to set some user rights which are not set at install?

I installed and started emby as root, but the process is run as normal user (also called emby at my machine) (at least the "services emby-server status" command indicates this)

What distribution are you on? Ubuntu 14.04 has a bug, and we haven't been able to figure out how to get it to successfully restart without error on that distribution. 

thefirstofthe300

Try chkconfig --add emby-server.  If you are running Debian stable, you have SysV as the init system so update-rc.d isn't going to work.

geaves

I have emby running on a ubuntu 14.04 server, and emby will not restart from the gui, but I use webmin as a gui frontend sometimes the emby daemon stops if a restart has been initiated, but I can restart it from within webmin and it uses this script;

1 description "emby-server daemon"
3 start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
4 stop on runlevel [!2345]
6 console log
7 respawn
8 respawn limit 10 5
10 kill timeout 20
12 script
13 set -x
14 echo "Starting $UPSTART_JOB"
16 # Log file
17 logger -t "$0" "DEBUG: `set`"
18 exec /usr/bin/emby-server start
19 end script
21 post-stop script
22 exec /usr/bin/emby-server clear
23 end script

I have no idea if this may have some relevance or even be helpful, I just know that this will restart emby, from within webmin this is also set to run at boot.

hurricanehrndz

I have emby running on a ubuntu 14.04 server, and emby will not restart from the gui, but I use webmin as a gui frontend sometimes the emby daemon stops if a restart has been initiated, but I can restart it from within webmin and it uses this script;

1 description "emby-server daemon"
3 start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
4 stop on runlevel [!2345]
6 console log
7 respawn
8 respawn limit 10 5
10 kill timeout 20
12 script
13 set -x
14 echo "Starting $UPSTART_JOB"
16 # Log file
17 logger -t "$0" "DEBUG: `set`"
18 exec /usr/bin/emby-server start
19 end script
21 post-stop script
22 exec /usr/bin/emby-server clear
23 end script

I have no idea if this may have some relevance or even be helpful, I just know that this will restart emby, from within webmin this is also set to run at boot.

Yes the restart script does not work with ubuntu 14.04. I have tried to figure out the issue and haven't been able to track it down. It works on all other distros though. 

leb0rtran

Hi,

I am running Debian GNU/Linux 8.3 (jessie) (Linux emby 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u3 (2016-01-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux)

chkconfig isn't installed but update-rc.d is

I dont think the debian side autostart is the problem, since emby cannot restart itself either.

As stated above, if i press restart in the GUI the service only stops and doesn't start

edit:
I tried systemctl enable emby-server and this fixed the problem with startup at boot!

But if I restart emby from the webui it still does not restart, just stop

Edited by leb0rtran

hurricanehrndz

Restart should work on Debian 8.3. You need to ensure emby is started by sytemd though. 

Please read through the Troubleshooting Guide for restarts and report back your findings.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Linux-Troubleshooting-Guide-and-FAQ

Meanwhile I will test on a vanilla install and report back with my findings as well. The last time I checked though Debian 8 was fine.

Edited by hurricanehrndz