Slow buffer and cannot seek 'Recorded' LiveTV on Roku3

Mfouchi

Mfouchi
Hi guys,

I'm a MB supporter, and will continue to be.  Great work with all of this - very impressive!

I'm running MB Server Version 3.0.5309.26857

on a Win7 x64 machine

Intel i3-2100T dual core

4GB RAM

I have a Roku 3 running on WiFi (although I also plugged into 1Gb network and had same result)

Roku is running latest 1.23 version of MB channel.

First, let me mention, that when I stream movies or LiveTV to another PC in the house using my Chrome browser, playback starts almost immediately (within 1 sec), and when I jump around to other times in the file, it also resumes within 1 sec.  This happens even if it is transcoding (I change the bitrate around and see ffmpeg churning).  This is awesome.

But on the Roku, when I stream mkv movies, it takes at least 10 seconds to buffer, sometimes more, but once the movie starts, it generally seems to keep up.  If I skip around, it will take at least another 10 to start playing again.

And now to the real problem: When I stream LiveTV-Recorded files (wtv), it takes at least 15 seconds to buffer, plays maybe 10 seconds, stops to load again, plays a little, stops, repeat.

And when it does actually play properly, if I try to fast forward a bit, it stops on the loading screen and never returns.

I have attached the log files from this exact scenario.  I started playing it, fast forwarded, and it got stuck.

After I exit the Media Browser channel, ffmpeg.exe dies, but MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe *32 is stuck at 25% CPU

As a side note, I'm confused why the log file shows the input file as 1920x1080 and is trying to output 1080. When I open the .wtv file in VLC, and it shows the file as 1280x720.  I also have the Roku set to 720p.

Thanks for all you do,

Marc

ffmpeg-sub-extract-2976875a-3022-49de-ba3c-8de096c5ee0f.txt

server-63542316118.txt

server-63542318094.txt

transcode-0f2e466b-8a40-4a7d-b286-a3767fe8e997.txt

transcode-40f4624d-fa2d-4fa4-b684-e91c52ea191d.txt

transcode-f5341c92-4234-491f-acaa-cb300dac6d32.txt

christoph86

I'm pretty sure this is because wtv is not a native format, so it has to be transcoded by the server. This doesn't happen all at once, so if you look at the time when you pause you should notice it continues to get longer, eventually the whole show. So if you try to fast forward right off the bat, you will run out of transcoded material and won't get anywhere. Maybe try pausing it for a few minutes after it loads up and see if you have any better luck. At least, this is what I have been doing and usually works ok.

Mfouchi

Hi,

Actually, I found that the transcoding is throwing errors after going to the new spot (on Roku and iOS Safari)  But works great when using Chrome browser on PC. I think it has something to do with the flags used in ffmpeg.

I put the details in another thread here:

http://mediabrowser....ng-in-wtv-file/

christoph86

That could be.  I haven't tried anything on Safari, but for my roku experience (wireless) it has always been great with everything except wtv files.  WTV files always take quite a bit of loading time on my roku in order for it to play correctly, as mentioned above.  I'm sure it would be a little better if wired, but still plays well after giving it time to transcode everything.