Auto select direct streaming

jamesplay

jamesplay

I have about 15 or so users that are using my media server over a local network, which sometimes causes strain to my resources.

Most of my movies are in mp4 h264 in order for movies to be streamed directly over a web browser, however a lot of the users are still transcoding movies and tv shows, likely they don't know about direct streaming. 

My transcoding settings are set to max but this doesn't seem to solve the issue.

At the moment, if you select a different resolution on the video settings cog while playing a video, it seems to save that setting.

Would there be any way to check if a movie can be streamed directly instead of going ahead with transcoding?

that's exactly what it does, based on the bitrate previously chosen. if the file is less then that bitrate and can be played natively, it direct streams.

jamesplay

Thanks for the quick answer. I've had to go to some of the users computers earlier today to modify the transcoding settings myself.

Would it be possible to implement an option, maybe under the transcoding tab stating 'Use Direct streaming when possible'?

It doesn't need to be enabled by default, but having a number of users on my server causes a bit of strain. 

Perhaps an alternate option can be to modify user preferences on max bitrate/resolution.

Koleckai Silvestri

What Luke is saying is that a setting isn't needed. The server will always send information about direct streaming if the client supports it. The big problem that you are experiencing is that the web client rarely supports direct play.

• 1 year later...
Poptartica

Actually I've been getting this issue myself. I have had it in the past but it sometimes resolves itself between releases - it's cropped back up again.

Both myself and my other users will begin to play something, and the web player will default to something like "720p - 3 Mbps", even if the option "Direct Stream" is right there. Note that when manually selected, the "Direct Stream" option works just fine and as expected in these situations.

Under user settings, all playback options will be set in an excess of what the files are - in my profile, I set the max streaming bitrate for all options as "30 Mbps", and yet when I play a file which is 2.8 Mbps, for example, Direct Stream will not be automatically selected and must be manually selected instead. The server's maximum streaming bitrate can also be set well in excess of these files' bitrates (ex. 100+) and the Direct Stream option will still not be automatically selected. All of my users are seeing this behavior.

What it sounds like is that if that user, at any point, plays any file which is unable to Direct Stream, this "default" setting will be saved for them across all files until a new "default" is chosen - the outcome being that if you watch even one file unknowingly which is unable to direct stream, all files will behave this way (if they are equivalent or higher bitrate). I agree that for users who aren't privy to the inner workings of Emby, this might be confusing or inconvenient to need to constantly change back the manual way when they likely don't even know to look for "Direct Stream".

edit: holy necro, I just realized that the OP was on Jul. 26 2014 .. not 2015. *facepalm

.. well, I'll leave it in case anyone else is having a similar problem.  :huh:

Edited by Poptartica