grouping multi-resolution episodes

MndWrp

MndWrp

hey guys !

i'm currently running server 3.0.5309.26857 and my issue du jour is this:

for some reason the episodes i got as multi resolution won't group together unless i manually group them (can be a pain...)

i got them setup pretty basic like this

Farscape

-- Season 1

---- Farscape - 1x06 - Thank God it's Friday Again - 480p.mp4

---- Farscape - 1x06 - Thank God it's Friday Again - 1080p.mkv

a naming issue ?  i read all over the board and i think this naming is right ... ?

thanks in advance for the help !

• Like 1

Tanamur

Hi All - What is the best practice for library organization of a TV series with seasons that span multiple container formats?

I have made some hardware (h/w) changes that highlights another housekeeping issue for storing TV seasons of different container formats. The h/w changes are the addition of a 12-bay NAS and a Roku 3. This adds lots of new space for consolidation of the libraries and native or transcoded playback of everything.

Combining seasons of different formats was a real issue for me in the past when my extender could not play certain formats. So, I organized multiple instances of the same TV series by container format for example:

TV (AVI)\TV Series A\Season 01

TV (MKV)\TV Series A\Season 02

TV (MP4)\TV Series A\Season 03

The PRO of this method is that I know which Media Folder will play on which extender device so I select accordingly. The CON is that I have multiple occurrences of the TV Series.

I don't really want to start mixing the seasons by format under one folder in the library should something else change. Ideally there could be a plugin similar to Auto Box Sets for movies that would combine ranges of seasons of different formats into one instance of the TV series. I have thought about creating season shortcuts and combining them under a single TV series folder but that is quite time consuming also. I have thought about just lumping all season formats together but separating them later would be even more time consuming.

As I say, any best practice feedback would be appreciated even if it is to tell me I am being a little "too" organized  :wacko:

Cheers, Tanamur

At the moment you will likely see duplicates. you can manually group the episodes together using the web interface, but there is no automatic grouping yet. i'm sure we'll get to it, but we just haven't seen enough demand for that yet.

• Like 1

Tanamur

Thanks @@Luke - Query consolidation for a single answer to both...nice and thanks for the quick response. Cheers, Tanamur 

• Like 1

MndWrp

Auto grouping seems to be an obvious next step for this feature .. I vote yes!

.. I thought it was already so ..

Edited by MndWrp
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
RetsRok163

I would be nice if there was a tutorial on how to manually group them from the web interface.  I have looked up and down and cant seem to find this option.  Can someone please help with is.

I would be nice if there was a tutorial on how to manually group them from the web interface.  I have looked up and down and cant seem to find this option.  Can someone please help with is.

I believe this feature was put on a back shelf in a subsequent release.  It will probably return in some incarnation in the future.

RetsRok163

so how do you group them.  I currently have to of every movie showing up in the library.

I have one in 1080p and 720p

How does this group them.

The latest one i just downloaded it and installed yesturday.

Beta or release?  What is the actual version number please?

multi-resolution grouping via files works just fine for movies. it's not yet supported for episodes.

however, for both movies and episodes you can manually group them together using the web interface. from the list screens click the check mark at the top, select the ones you want to group, and click group versions.

yea if they're movies in the same folder, it is always preferable to use the naming convention for automatic grouping. for all other cases the web interface can handle it.

• 2 months later...
pr3dict

Can show me a screenshot of what this is supposed to look like? I tried two different movies/testfiles. The movie I tried showed up as two different movies and the test file I created showed up as the same movie but didnt let me choose the resolution I wanted when I clicked play.

Am I missing something?

just go to the library setup section of the web interface, click the help button and there are examples listed.

Well you're trying to figure out multi-resoltuon movies so i would have thought you'd at least read the movie naming guide. that's where you can find examples.

pr3dict

I saw the guide. That's how I setup the naming convention for the movies. What I am asking for is actual screenshots of what the interface looks like when their are more then one resolution present for a movie...

I don't see how to choose which movie I want to play. the 720 or the 1080.

the bottom of the detail page lists the media sources. the apps currently don't offer a selection and instead automatically pick based on which one is most efficient for them.

Beardyname

If/when the items are grouped it will have a bluish number in the top left corner, and currently you don't have to select a version to be played MBS tries to pick the best one based on what is most efficient for that client.

*edit* crap Luke beat me to it

Edited by Beardyname