Naming Convention: Using IDMB ID

motey

Hi folks,

im new to Mediabrowser and coming from MediaPortal.

This is a great piece of software, thanks to all involed for creating this!

I scanned my movie folders the first time. Now there are some movies that aren't detected right.

Because im coming from MediaPortal my naming convention looks like this: "IMDB-MovieName (YEAR) [iMDB-ID]" (e.g. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) [tt0091042]")

This worked perfectly for the MediaPortal scrapper, because every movie is exactly identifiable by the imdb-id.

You could just rescan your whole movie collection without any refinishing.

Now i realized that mediabrowser doesnt recognice the imdb-id in the filename (Or did i not find the option to configure that?)

Now my Questions are:

Is there a good reason why mediabrowser is ignoring the imdb-id, or is it just a missing feature?

If its a missing feature, is it planned to realize that?

If its not planned and there are no good resons against that, am i allowed to create an issue on github?

Im using version 3.0.5271.29451

Thanks for helping!

Cheesegeezer

Hi folks,

im new to Mediabrowser and coming from MediaPortal.

This is a great piece of software, thanks to all involed for creating this!

Now my Questions are:

Is there a good reason why mediabrowser is ignoring the imdb-id, or is it just a missing feature?

If its a missing feature, is it planned to realize that?

If its not planned and there are no good resons against that, am i allowed to create an issue on github?

Im using version 3.0.5271.29451

Thanks for helping!

Hey there and welcome to MB :D

There isnt really a reason why it hasnt picked them up. With MB the scraper logic is very good and doesnt require you to put an imdb id in the folder name of the movie.

I'm not familiar with MP, but does MP save your metadata to a folder or does it scrape everytime?

You can go into the metadata manager theu the dashboard (little pen icon next to mb logo in top left) select your movie you need to update and add in the correct imdbid in the imdb field. Dont forget to save and the refresh all.

Let me know how you get on

Hey, thanks for the help!

MP does save your metadata in an extra folder or in the movie folder, just like mb.

The funny thing is that MB doesnt recognice almost the same movies like MP (before i configured it to check for IMDB-IDs)

So i think the scrapper quality/logic is almost equal.

One example, is this movie:

mb.PNG

When you google for it one of the first hits is the imdb page providing Metadata and Cover pictures:

imdb.PNG

I really stepped deeply in MP since 5 years now. I know these scrapers are really smart there is much work invested. But there are always movies that are not recogniced correctly.

With renaming tools like http://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/tools/filebot-tv-renamer-and-subtitle-downloader you can add the imdb-id automatically.

And since i switched to IMDB-ID recognition in MP there is no need to rework anything in my library.

And that is very very comfortable. And i think convenience is the reason why we use mediacenters :)

Dont get me wrong, i dont want to push MP/bash MB. There are many good reasons why im looking for alternatives from MP at the moment. It has many disadvantages compared to MB. But IMDB-ID recognition is a scrapper feature i would hardly miss when switching to MB :)

Edited by motey

Cheesegeezer

No probs, i have requested a while ago about searching for alternative titles, and also having these in the metadata, and it is something they will do in the future.

If it had searched for alt titles then "Zombie Ass" would have probably got the hit and correct info.

Anyways, welcome again and if you have any other questions please post them up.

• Like 1

Ok, cool. Thx, pal.

But without wanting to bugging you :D:

this solution (checking for alterntaive titles, too) is just another exception built in the scraper. There will be movies where the scraper will fail, like 2 movies with the same name and year or whatever.

With a imdb-id you have a 100%, 1:1 identification for a movie.

I had only one movie from hundreds where it did not work because it wasnt registered on imdb.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and the quick infos and help

• Like 1

We actually will read an ID tag out of the file name but it needs to be [imdbid=ttxxxxxx] because we read more tags than just that one.

However, there is a much easier way - simply go to the items that were not identified correctly with the metadata manager and use the "Identify" feature.  Fill in the name or whatever you know about it and hit search - then select the proper item.

We actually will read an ID tag out of the file name but it needs to be [imdbid=ttxxxxxx] because we read more tags than just that one.

Hey thanks, that was the piece of information i was searching for :)

Mh sorry, but i think this Information is not correct.

imdbid.PNG

because then this test file shoud be parsed correctly.

Is there a typo in your post?

Danee

In the example, the filename is just the tag, have you tried it as name [imdbid=tt2280358].mkv ?

Yeah, I'm not sure it has ever been tested using just the tag.

But, again, there is an easier way.  Just enter the proper id in the edit screen or use the "Identify" feature and search by title, year, etc.

But, again, there is an easier way.  Just enter the proper id in the edit screen or use the "Identify" feature and search by title, year, etc.

Thanks for the Info. Im aware of this feature. But my intention is to automatize the "add movie"-procedure. So i only have to name the movie correct and put it in my movie  directory. When using the Webinterface to check and identify (as the circumstances require) the movie, i have a lot more tasks to do for adding one movie.

In the example, the filename is just the tag, have you tried it as name [imdbid=tt2280358].mkv ?

Yeah, I'm not sure it has ever been tested using just the tag.

Ok, also tried it with "\\server08\Movies2\wrongmoviename [imdbid=tt2280358].mkv" without success. The question for me is, under which circumstances is the imdbid used by MB. Logical for me would be:

-Server tries to identifiy Movie by filename.

-Identification by filename is not accurate

-Try to find more identifier (year, imdbid,..)

-Identifiy by imdbid -> should always return a hit

-scrap metadata!

OR

-Server tries to find identifiers

-Server finds: Name, Year, Imdb..

-Server: Oh, look what i have found! A Movie ID! That is always a 100% hit, awesome!

-Scrap metadata!

But at the moment none of this logics are used from my view. So the "imdbid=ttxxxxxxx"-feature is almost useless, isnt it?

We support this wrongmoviename [imdbid=tt2280358]

[...] it hasn't been tested in a while. it should still work, but it's possible it may have been lost along the way.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Im using Version 3.0.5271.29451 and it looks like " wrongmoviename [imdbid=tt2280358]" isnt working.

[...] however, with the introduction of all the metadata editing features in the web interface, hardly anyone using such a manual procedure like that anymore. [...]

Yes, it could be that i am using a rare used workflow :)

But almost everybody wants to have a clean naming convention in the movie libary on file level.

And when you copy your DVDs to HDD, download your movie or whatever the filename will most likely doesnt fit your naming convention.

So renaming is a task you cant prevent.

My thinking is: then lets reduce it(adding a movie) at least to this one (not preventable) task.

For this im using http://www.filebot.net/

(Filebot is a software from the mediaportal-crew i think. But i think there are other good renaming and identifying tools like theRenamer)

My Workflow is

-Drag the file to FileBot

-FileBot Identifies the movie or asks for your help if its not possible

-Then FileBot renames the file (with the imdb in the filename) and copies it to the movie dir

So i have identifying and renaming in almost one task

With MB i have to identify the Movie a second time at the moment (with the broken filename scrapper)

which isnt very efficient.

Long story short:

It would be great if the imdbid identification would be fixed.

Thanks for all your input guys! Great community here!

Edited by motey

however, with the introduction of all the metadata editing features in the web interface, hardly anyone using such a manual procedure like that anymore. as a result, it hasn't been tested in a while. it should still work, but it's possible it may have been lost along the way.

We will look into the tag but, since almost no one uses that anymore, it isn't a super high priority.

Why not just use the actual movie name?  That is what 99.9% of people are doing and it works most of the time.  Only on a few special cases do you have to go in and identify something manually.

Koleckai Silvestri

Thanks for the Info. Im aware of this feature. But my intention is to automatize the "add movie"-procedure. So i only have to name the movie correct and put it in my movie  directory. When using the Webinterface to check and identify (as the circumstances require) the movie, i have a lot more tasks to do for adding one movie.

I just name my movies as they are named in IMDB with the exception of moving the word 'The' to the end, replacing colons with commas and then putting the year in parenthesis. Haven't had a single movie get identified incorrectly or had to identify it in the web interface. Pretty automatic and I don't even need to look up IMDB IDs.

Good day,

Since day one, I named the title like this for example:

Home Alone (1990)

So, movie name + year for the folder name, I always go by the IMDB name.

MB always fetch the correct metadata for it

My best

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
MikePlanet

however, with the introduction of all the metadata editing features in the web interface, hardly anyone using such a manual procedure like that anymore. as a result, it hasn't been tested in a while. it should still work, but it's possible it may have been lost along the way.

Hi Luke,

I couldn't find that in the code - but it would be really really nice, if it could be (re?)added.

If I understand it right, properties/tags from filename/path will be retrieved in BaseVideoResolver.cs within Resolvevideo()

So it should be sufficient to add ImdbId to VideoFileInfo.cs, where we already have name and year -> add

public string ImdbId { get; set; }

In ResolveVideo() we simply add parsing of IMDB id from full path - using a regex pattern this is to my experience 100% failsafe, as that pattern won't ever occur in any movie name or directory name unless it is meant to be the imdb ID.

Thus the ImdbId can be in either the directory or in the media file name itself.

Note: For name grabbing it might make sense to strip the regex we use for detection - although that is not critical, as ImdbId should be used over 'name'/'year' - so cleaning is not that important.

-> videoInfo.ImdbId = GetIMDBidFromFilePath(args.Path);

public object GetIMDBidFromFilePath(string FilePath)
{
        Regex CutText = new Regex("tt\\d{7}");
	Match m = default(Match);
	m = CutText.Match(FilePath);
	if (m.Success == true) {
		return m.Value;
	} else {
		return null;
	}
}

I understand you want to make sure, server side processing is safe and foolproof - this should be ok with above approach - and it can save a lot of editing for ppl who have the imdb id in their media path already.

(Due to TmdbId not being build with a reproducable pattern, unfortunately that won't work for TmdbId....)

Once the videoInfo.ImdbId is populated, it could be used as higest priority for searching/identifying in MetaDataServices.cs - before running the local providers ('foreach (var provider in localProviders) ...')

Would be very much appreciated if that could be added to an upcoming release :-)

Happy new year and thanks a lot for all your efforts !

It's great when new people dig into the code like this. Actually the MovieResolver is the only place it is needed:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/blob/dev/MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations/Library/Resolvers/Movies/MovieResolver.cs#L243-L248

You can see there is a check for tmdb, we just need imdb added. Feel free to submit a pull request.

The naming project currently doesn't grab provider id's from file names. I think I just overlooked it so perhaps at some point later I can move it down into that layer.

MikePlanet

Hi Luke,

tried to do so, but I am no dev, so it is a bit hard for me ;-) - I couldn't compile MBS (well, I could, but neither debug nor release did start due to null reference on startup....), so couldn't really test it. Can you review and merge, if ok?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/pull/962

For my understanding: Those changes will only apply on initial import, not on updates !?

Are there any instructions on how to compile MBS and do remote debugging ?

Thanks

Edited by MikePlanet

well done. it looks fine to me.

you should be able to just download the source, build, run and use the debugger as normal. really no advance instructions required if you're already familiar with MBS and with Visual Studio. So if that's not working then let us know.

• 6 months later...
User55263

Hi, is this pull request live in 3.0.5641.5 ?

I'm new to Emby and while the whole scan isn't finished yet, I already got library mismatching while imdb was in the filename (I'm using exactly the same naming convention as OP).

Also, I enabled some logs and I can see : 

2015-07-09 21:03:28.9488 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.omdbapi.com/?plot=short&r=json&y=2015&t=Taken+3&type=movie
2015-07-09 21:03:29.1556 Info - App: MovieDbProvider: Finding id for item: Taken 3

Which let me think that IMDB id is not used :/

Am I missing something ?

Koleckai Silvestri

Hi, is this pull request live in 3.0.5641.5 ?

I'm new to Emby and while the whole scan isn't finished yet, I already got library mismatching while imdb was in the filename (I'm using exactly the same naming convention as OP).

Also, I enabled some logs and I can see : 

2015-07-09 21:03:28.9488 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.omdbapi.com/?plot=short&r=json&y=2015&t=Taken+3&type=movie
2015-07-09 21:03:29.1556 Info - App: MovieDbProvider: Finding id for item: Taken 3

Which let me think that IMDB id is not used :/

Am I missing something ?

It doesn't use IMDB in the file name as far as I am aware. If the IMDB is provided in the metadata, it will use it when performing lookups at OMDB or TMDB.

Moving naming conventions are here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

User55263

What is this thread and commit (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/pull/962) about then ? Commit seems to be present in tag 3.0.5641.5, so I guess it's live, but doesn't works for me.

Does it need to be enabled somewhere ?

Edit: I dug the code a bit, in

MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations/Library/LibraryManager.cs,

MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations/Library/Resolvers/Movies/MovieResolver.cs and

MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations/Library/PathExtensions.cs

but I cannot see what's wrong 😕

Edited by User55263

• 3 weeks later...
Blueeyiz702

Good day,

Since day one, I named the title like this for example:

Home Alone (1990)

So, movie name + year for the folder name, I always go by the IMDB name.

MB always fetch the correct metadata for it

My best

so it would look like this,

American History X - (1998) then inside that folder you would have American History X - (1998).mp4,? MB will find correct metadata?

if the movie is inside it's own single folder, then the movie file can be named just about anything. if you put multiple movies in a single folder, that's when the video file name becomes important.