File structure for TV season extras?

ShoutingMan
Go to solution Solved by ShoutingMan,

ShoutingMan

What's the structure for extras (bonus materials like deleted scenes and making-of docs) for TV shows?

The extras are logged as episodes and filed according to the generic name MakeMKV stuffed into their metadata on creation. I'm using this folder and file structure. From searching, in 2014 multiple extras folders in tv shows weren't supported. Is this still the case? Do I need to put a single Extras folder up in the "root" series folder equal to the Season folders?

/TV

/Dollhouse

/Season 01/

/Season 01/Dollhouse - s01e01.mkv (& etc)

/Season 01/Extras/

/Season 01/Extras/Deleted Scenes.mkv

/Season 01/Extras/Making the Show.mkv

/Season 02/

/Season 02/Dollhouse - s02e01.mkv (& etc)

/Season 01/Extras/

/Season 02/Extras/Deleted Scenes.mkv

/Season 02/Extras/Making the Show.mkv

Edited by ShoutingMan

Deathsquirrel

they go in the Season 00 folder just like the episodes go in Season 01/Season 02.

/Dollhouse

/Season 00/

Dollhouse S00E01 Deleted Scenes Season 1.mkv
Dollhouse S00E02 Making the Show Season 1.mkv

Dollhouse S00E03 Deleted Scenes Season 2.mkv
Dollhouse S00E04 Making the Show Season 2.mkv
/Season 01/
Dollhouse - s01e01.mkv (& etc)
/Season 02/
Dollhouse - s02e01.mkv (& etc)

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 1

ShoutingMan

Ok, thanks, will try that!

I don't think this is documented in the Wiki. The TV naming page doesn't mention extras at all. And this is contrary to how movies are handled and documented. This should be added to the docs, if possible.

Is there any word that Emby will be updated so TV extras will be handled correctly - as per-season extras?

ShoutingMan

Thanks and thanks. I didn't notice the "Specials" in the TV naming when I was searching the docs. I was searching for "extras" though.

I'm sure this will fix my problem; just need a free opportunity to rearrange files and re-scan the library :)

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

It kinda works but not completely. It creates a Specials folder with entries. But except for the first entry S00E01, all the titles are the generic title that MakeMKV stuffed into the file metadata; Emby ignored the title I put in the filename. The first entry in Emby is given wrong metadata, seemingly grabbing random metadata for some known special and assigning it to that file, also ignoring the title in the filename.

Files are named in this manner

Season 0\

Dollhouse - S00E01 - Behind the Scenes Season 1.mkv

Dollhouse - S00E02 - Cast Interview Season 1.mkv

Dollhouse - S00E03 - Behind the Scenes Season 2.mkv

Dollhouse - S00E04 - Cast Interview Season 2.mkv

ShoutingMan

(I was hoping TV Specials worked much the same as Movies Extras. I'm guessing I need to lock the Metadata and edit the entries in Emby Server.)

Happy2Play

You can't use the S00E01 because there is a special already.  But shouldn't have any issues with the others.

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=82046&seasonid=32557&lid=7

With the series structure I don't really see "extras" being added.

What issue are you having with filenames?  You can edit the metadata to change how the name is presented and show these special before the perspective seasons also.

no screen grabs do to dummy files. I used S00E02-S00E05.

58a3c0bea45ee_specials.jpg

58a3c0cf38653_season1.jpg

58a3c0dfe7997_season2.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

ShoutingMan

Here's the files. Notice the right-side preview shows the metadata has some generic title that MakeMKV embedded. This is used by Emby Server to label the files.

58a3c5b34bd25_DollhouseSpecialsFiles.png

Here's how Emby Server interprets the Season 00

58a3c5da4681c_DollhouseSpecialsServer.pn

And how Emby Theater displays it:

58a3c5fdc087e_DollhouseSpecialsTheater.p

ShoutingMan

It seems for TV extras (Specials / Season 0), Emby Server is being too smart. It be better if it was dumb for this case: get the ordering and title from the filename, just as Movies Extras do, and don't try to get metadata from the web because that's going to be wrong and don't fallback to getting metadata from the file because that's going to be wrong as well.

ShoutingMan

What issue are you having with filenames?  You can edit the metadata to change how the name is presented and show these special before the perspective seasons also.

Yes, I can edit Emby Server metadata. That's extra work. As shown by Movies Extras, it should be unnecessary work. But if that's the only way, I can explore that to decide if it's worth the work or not.

I'm figuring out if it's better to leave TV series as disc ISOs or to rip the individual MKV files. ISOs are much less work to setup. MKVs ultimately are a better and more flexible playback experience, but much (much) more work.

Deathsquirrel

It would be a nice improvement if TV specials defaulted to the name present in the file name when present.  Use whatever text is past the S00EXX string as the name when no metadata exists for that episode number.  Manually editing the special titles is a pain though it is GREATLY sped up by the UI change that shows the next several episodes in a strip below the description.

• Like 1

• Solution
ShoutingMan

So for TV Specials:

(0) Turn off Emby Server or work in a scratch folder

(1) Check TVDB for known Specials. Incorporate this in file naming / ordering

(2) They go into a single Season 0 folder in the root series folder, with file naming such as this:

Season 0\

Dollhouse - S00E01 - Behind the Scenes Season 1.mkv
Dollhouse - S00E02 - Cast Interview Season 1.mkv
Dollhouse - S00E03 - Behind the Scenes Season 2.mkv
Dollhouse - S00E04 - Cast Interview Season 2.mkv

(3) Edit metadata of files to have the desired title set in their Metadata, which is what Emby Server will use to assign their names
I used MKVtoolnix ( https://mkvtoolnix.download/index.html ) to edit the MKV title property to be the name I was using in the filename for my "specials". I set the E01 episode to be the Unaired Pilot that TVDB knows about. That yields the desired results.

(4) Move Files and Folder into TV folder or turn Emby Server back on. Scan Library.
Edited by ShoutingMan
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Can you change the behavior of extras for TV shows to work like movies? There is a big problem with how it works right now, and that is conflicting with TVDB specials.

For example, I am trying to rip the extras for Season1 of a show currently airing season 3. The extras in Season 1 are not in TVDB as specials, so according to the above instructions I should pick an unused specials number for the extras. BUT the show is currently airing, and new specials are constantly being created, so eventually whatever number I pick as an "unused special" will be used in Season 3, or Season 4, or some other season years from now. When that happens, my special will conflict with the ones in TVDB.

I think the best solution would be to just make it work like it does for movies, make an extras folder under the season folder, or an extras folder under the main TV show folder.

/TV

/Show

/extras

or 

/TV

/Show

/Season 1

/Season 1/extras

It would also be preferred if the filename was used for the name of the extra, like it is for movies, instead of relying on the MKV metadata.

Thanks!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
interman

Following up on what Syplex asked, has anyone come up with a way to handle extras for TV shows? For example, Star Trek Voyager has 5-10 extras for each season. So far, I have not seen a good solution. 

TIA!!

Don

funwithmedia

Following up on what Syplex asked, has anyone come up with a way to handle extras for TV shows? For example, Star Trek Voyager has 5-10 extras for each season. So far, I have not seen a good solution. 

TIA!!

Don

I've got a feature request regarding this that you can vote for if it resonates with you:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55915-emby-server-theater-additional-extrasspecial-folder-types-for-tv-series-similar-to-movies/

• 4 months later...