MKV Transcoding After Latest ATV Beta Update

Pancho
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Server Version 3.0.6400.0 (runs on Unraid 6.1.9 Docker)

Nvidia Shield TV (6.0 SW version 3.2)

Android TV Beta (1.2.42g)

I updated to the latest ATV beta last night (1.2.42g) along with the latest server upgrade and I have noticed that various movies on my NAS are now transcoding on my ShieldTV (using the built-in player - I am NOT using external players).  For example (chosen at random):

Captain America - Winter Soldier - Direct Play

The Finest Hours - Transcodes

HardCore Henry - Transcodes

Man Of Steel - Direct Play

Kung Fu Panda 3 - Transcodes

I can play the exact same movies on my android phone or Emby Theater, and all direct play as expected.    I own 2 Nvidia Shield TV's both on the 1.2.42g app (one wired, the other using wireless 5ghz), and I see the same transcoding movies on the wired unit.  Spot checking the server log I am seeing 'Unknown Profile' on the transcoding files:

2016-08-30 11:14:49.5336 Info App: Profile: Android, Path: \\MEDIATOWER\MEDIA\MOVIES\SUPERMAN COLLECTION [boxset]\MAN OF STEEL\Man Of Steel.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

2016-08-30 11:29:52.4774 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: \\MEDIATOWER\MEDIA\MOVIES\THE FINEST HOURS\The Finest Hours.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

Attached are server/transcode logs.     Any ideas?

Thanks.

Pancho

server-63608119307.txt

ffmpeg-remux-3f937a9e-e979-48e4-bc77-646e2bb365a7.txt

ffmpeg-remux-308fa38d-7561-4337-b9bb-ab9722fd6508.txt

ffmpeg-remux-4bab759d-0895-4847-8e87-1bbea66ea9b8.txt

Edited by Pancho

This isn't a transcode, it's simply converting the audio while leaving the rest intact. I noticed one of them is DTS audio. Does your setup support that and is it enabled in the app?

Luke,

Yes my hardware does support DTS bitstreaming, and I do have it checked in the App.   After looking into the DTS issue further, I believe I see where the issues lies.   If a DTS movie uses the DTS codec, the audio will transcodes/convert instead of direct play.   If the DTS movie uses the DCA codec, it direct plays without issue.

Is that a change that can be made on the server end or client to direct play the DTS codec?

Pancho

post-688-0-90380200-1472576534_thumb.jpg

post-688-0-95826400-1472576540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pancho

Yes this is something we've started seeing recently where sometimes it gets reported as dca, and other times dts. So we'll have to adjust the app to handle that. thanks.

• Solution

LOL - Luke and I were just discussing this very thing.  You'll want to try again with the next beta of the app.  Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi @@Pancho

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42239-android-tv-beta-13x/

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !