VAAPI Not Working

dcrdev

dcrdev

So I was very pleased to see that the latest Emby server release support hardware accelerated transcoding via VAAPI. I immediately update in order to try it out - unfortunately it looks to be stressing the CPU even more than if it were not enabled.

Normally transcoding 1 stream will result in 100% utilisation on 1 core at a time, however with VAAPI enabled it's utilising 100% on all 4 cores.

My GPU works with VAAPI in Kodi, so not really sure what the problem is? Could it be that the emby-ffmpeg package bundled with the Fedora RPMs, is not compiled with VAAPI support?

It might not be compiled in. This is a bring your item ffmpeg feature right now. You can check the transcoding log to verify.

dcrdev

Thanks, but since the Fedora package brings it's own ffmpeg package that coexists with the system package - how can I set the path of ffmpeg myself?

puithove

The path to ffmpeg and ffprobe are passed as commandline parms to the server executable when it's launched.  Depends on how the Fedora package does its startup scripts.

On Archlinux, it uses env variables defined in /etc/conf.d/emby-server and then consumed by the script /usr/bin/emby-server which launches the executable:

exec $MONO /usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata $PROGRAM_DATA -ffmpeg $FFMPEG -ffprobe $FFPROBE

Same on Fedora. Plus ffmpeg is not included in the packages. But is downloaded by Emby server if it's it can't find it (again is downloading the binaries not a rpm). You can change the ffmpeg binaries to use using emby-server configuration file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even better you don't need to mess with ffmpeg, you can configure it in playback -> transcoding

dcrdev

Even better you don't need to mess with ffmpeg, you can configure it in playback -> transcoding

Didn't see that, doh! Yes can confirm it's working now with VAAPI - great job!

So if it's downloading the binaries - can it not just download a binary that's been compiled with VAAPI? I assume it's downloading it from an Emby hosted location?

Edited by dcrdev