Is Emby Serious About PVR/DVR Inclusion?

bungee91

bungee91

The inclusion of native DVR functionality into Emby was the no.1 feature that pushed me into being a lifetime premiere supporter, however since it's introduction on the server side 1 year ago, it doesn't seem to have been a focus on development lately at all.

In order to be a viable replacement for WMC or Kodi it has to have some form of recording management screen.

I have asked within the main Theater thread twice about any progress or thoughts as to when this may be implemented, or when this may be the focus of development and have received zero responses.

My current primary use case (or hope, as I cannot seriously use this for everything currently) is with the Emby Theater Windows app.

Currently I cannot even stop an upcoming recording within the app at all.

My main question: When will a basic recording management screen be added to Emby Theater?

As for layout, either a button under the current recordings one (as seen attached), or a heading within the recordings button (which is similar to WMC implementation).

Within this we have the option to see the upcoming recordings listed by date, or by show title, and be able to edit the options, stop the recording, etc...

Also the ability to edit series recording options (how many to keep, padding, keep until, etc...).

I'm tired of hearing from my wife (currently using TvH in Kodi) "Tivo wouldn't do it like that, doesn't that drive you nuts", or "Why did we stop using WMC, I liked that much better?"

Is this somewhere on the development road map in the not too distant future?

Is there anything I can do to help make this happen? I'm not a programmer in the slightest, but I really want to see this implemented, and I'm pretty certain there are others here who would like this also.

Thank you for your time, and efforts in making Emby a better product overall.

post-131141-0-72442700-1472403838_thumb.png

• Like 1

bungee91

Thank you for the reply Luke, can you elaborate some as to when this will be under development?

Any kind of road map as to where this lies within the ongoing development?

I think everyone knows it will eventually be added, it is just surprising to me the level of effort to add the HDHR to the server, and once added, the focus was moved on to completely other avenues.

These are all important additions, and are helping to add value to the product, however it has left the PVR side as more of a novelty than a real usable addition to the product.

wally007

Every 3-4 months i install server and try latest clients (recently only Emby theater) and check out LiveTV and whether it can replace my Plex+WMC setup.

Theater in its current form cant be used as WMC replacement. Its missing too many basic DVR functions.

MadibaJ

If Emby where serious about dvr, they would support more tuners.

Agreed. I see plex has just released a beta Dvr with hdhomerun support at the moment. They've stated they intend support more tuners. Edited by MadibaJ

Agreed. It is making progress but it is not close to replace wmc that is why I havent updated to win 10 on my htpc. I have been posting a lot on emby theater thread and luke has implemented a lot of suggestions but there is still heaps more if it cant look as good as wmc my family said dont even think about changing. I like a lot of things that emby has but pvr is still not close to wmc unfortunately. I am not in any hurry to replace wmc as it is rock solid.

Agreed. I see plex has just released a beta Dvr with hdhomerun support at the moment. They've stated they intend support more tuners.

They only integrate with the HDHR DVR and offer no actual Live TV playback.

• Like 1

I have dumped WMC completely and use Emby with NextPVR plugin and Schedules Direct. Superb combination that does everything I used on WMC  We had a difficult time getting used to WMC after life with a superb 16 year old TiVo but WMC to Emby/NextPVR was easy and it is a joy to use, with every chance it will get better. We rarely want or need to manage recordings other than delete them after viewing. If you want full functionality in that area you can do it via the NextPVR app or Windows UI. 

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

I was just reading this thread and I don't understand why the comments above state Emby DVR can't use more tuners? Like Huer stated above there are a lot of tuners supported via plugins. Yes, the integrated Emby DVR doesn't but there are solutions to that with the plugins. 

I also don't understand the refusal to use Emby just because recording management can't be done via Emby Theater right now. You can do it via the Web UI to set up recordings. How often do you have to set recordings? After the recordings are set up there is no reason to have to go back into the Web UI. Yes, I too want to be able to manage recordings via Emby Theater but it is FAR from a deal breaker.

The Plex DVR as mentioned above is VERY new. You can also only manage recordings on it right now via their Web UI. They also ONLY support the HDHomerun tuner and knowing Plex, it will probably be many months before additional tuner support get implemented. It also doesn't let you watch Live TV (as Ebr stated). There is a plugin for Live TV that is fairly new created by a 3rd party developer but there is no EPG guide with it.

I tried out their DVR. I found it very difficult to find shows to record, there are no "New" tags to tell me which shows are new or not. There is currently a bug where it records a repeat episode even if you set it to record new shows only. I am sure that bug will get fixed but who knows how long that will take.

I have found that when you get a bug in Emby Luke and Ebr work very hard to fix it very quickly, so while it may be annoying when it happens they are all over it.

• Like 2

Spaceboy

The only real problem left for me with live tv is that you can't watch in progress recordings. And that's why I'm still using Kodi for the most time

bungee91

Thanks to everyone for their input within this thread, I have also learned some things (it wasn't my accusation) that Emby can use various tuners through the use of plugins (TvH that I use with Kodi would work well with this).

However I also want to clarify some things IMHO, as the OP of this thread I don't want this to take away from the effort that HAS been made, we just know there is more to go to call this a straight forward DVR replacement.

(Again, my opinion/input here as I started this thread asking the question)

Plex DVR means nothing to me, not meaning to pick sides but I'm not a Plex user and never plan to be. Plus their current implementation is nowhere near where Emby is, and shouldn't be compared at this time.

Maybe it will be great at some point, IDK, the more options the better though.

This thread is in the Emby Theater forum, so regardless of what Emby may do within the web client, it does not have the same functions within Theater, and this is where my question comes in to play.

Maybe I should have titled it better "Is Emby Serious about PVR/DVR Inclusion in Theater", I don't know.

My main question still remains which I'm asking to whomever may have some input for development: When in some form of a loose timeline will DVR/PVR for theater be improved upon? Is it a priority, are we thinking maybe in 3 months this will be a current feature being worked on? 6 months? Just wondering.

At it's current state it is not able to be considered a usable replacement for most people, and what you may be able to change using the WebUI or Android, or whatever is not proper support for when using theater (which is my main use case, I understand that is only part of the Emby ecosystem).

Currently I cannot (a couple off hand, not all inclusive):

Stop an in progress recording

Modify an upcoming recording

See a listing of upcoming recordings

These to me should all be available to be considered a primary DVR implementation, however this is still not to take away from the progress made so far, however it has been a long time since native recording was added and little progress to the questions I'm asking here.

Figure this also: (In my eyes) It is not Plex that is the main competitor on the Tv section of Emby, it is the Silicon Dust HDHomerun DVR that is going to be the one to sway people one way or another.

However this doesn't compete for video playback, transcoding, I'm mainly speaking for the LiveTv/DVR stuff which is pretty important to me as Kodi works great for local playback.

Emby requires a subscription, plus guide data. Most will opt for the built in schedules direct at $25 annually, plus need an Emby Premiere subscription.

While this is still early the HDHR DVR will be $30 annually, and include guide data within that $30. However this project (HDHR DVR) is well behind the original goal, however currently at a very good point to be a WMC replacement (which we know MANY people want), but still missing some key features (what I'm asking for here it has currently).

As many here, I want to use a remote, be able to do (almost) everything from one app, and I want the WAF to be as high as possible. This isn't the case currently, and I was just asking when we may see some more progress in this area.

Again, I paid for "lifetime" premier, I'm not complaining, just asking for some information, and think Emby does a lot of things very well, and was worth my subscription cost.

Thanks for the discussion so far, the more interest and the more likely this will become a higher priority to implement.

Edited by bungee91
  • Like 1

I think the best thing to do is just get involved about specific things you'd like to see our improvements we can make. This type of thread unfortunately isnt always useful because it's light on specifics. But if you look at someone like @@denz for example who is very active at providing specific suggestions, and we often act on his feedback very quickly because he gets right into the details.

wally007

I was just reading this thread and I don't understand why the comments above state Emby DVR can't use more tuners? Like Huer stated above there are a lot of tuners supported via plugins. Yes, the integrated Emby DVR doesn't but there are solutions to that with the plugins.

I also don't understand the refusal to use Emby just because recording management can't be done via Emby Theater right now. You can do it via the Web UI to set up recordings. How often do you have to set recordings? After the recordings are set up there is no reason to have to go back into the Web UI. Yes, I too want to be able to manage recordings via Emby Theater but it is FAR from a deal breaker.

Yea, im going to tell kids to run to their room to fire up their laptops so they can handle recordings. Girlfriend will be ecstatic as well to learn that HTPCs throughout the house will need complimentary laptop or keyboards.

Im all for that its difficult and it takes time to implement (hence my trials every few months) but your solution is for bunch of dudes living in a dorm.

• Like 1

wally007

Yea, im going to tell kids to run to their room to fire up their laptops so they can handle recordings. Girlfriend will be ecstatic as well to learn that HTPCs throughout the house will need complimentary laptop or keyboards.

Im all for that its difficult and it takes time to implement (hence my trials every few months) but your solution is for bunch of dudes living in a dorm.

jasonmcroy

Hey, I was just giving another viewpoint, no need to get snarky with me. As far as my solution being for a bunch of dudes living in a dorm, I don't even know what that means - I am not a dude living in a dorm. 

If it isn't useful to you right then find another solution. Geez.

Why would your kids need to "handle" recordings? Set programs up to record, watch or don't watch - disk space is cheap! 

• Like 1

bungee91

I think this is getting a bit off topic, and unfortunately not helpful in any way to continue development.

We all know (regardless of what you choose to accept) this is not feature complete in theater, however some people are more than willing to accept this or it doesn't bother them to hop around to get full control.

I also know that theater is by no means completed either, and that features and bug fixes are happening regularly which is much appreciated.

Also I'm not a dude living in a dorm-room either, but get the idea of what you're trying to get at.

Theater in general does a pretty darn good job of developing for ease of use, and high WAF, just want to say I appreciate that focus when implementing functions/features.

I think the best thing to do is just get involved about specific things you'd like to see our improvements we can make. This type of thread unfortunately isnt always useful because it's light on specifics. But if you look at someone like @@denz for example who is very active at providing specific suggestions, and we often act on his feedback very quickly because he gets right into the details.

Thanks for following up here, but I think your suggestion doesn't properly support the request IMHO.

@@denz is doing a fantastic job supporting and documenting what is not acting as it should, or things that he (or she?) finds to be not performing as expected.

I on the other hand am asking for development to continue adding features to make the DVR section more usable within theater. I'm nearly certain you have an idea of how you want to add these functions in future development (I could be wrong in that assumption), just that this hasn't been priority as of yet.

So, somewhat doing as you're asking, I'd like to list what I (me, others may disagree) find to be important for development/additions within the DVR section of theater (edit: I tried to do this by priority, but that didn't work, they're all important in someway):

• A listing of upcoming recordings (preferably sortable by date and title) with the ability to click on the show which would bring up the specific show entry details (same display as what the guide shows when clicking an entry now) I had added a quick suggestion in the OP of a Paint mockup of the button you'd click for such a thing.. ;) .
  • Within the show entry details, the ability to stop a recording from either the 3 dot menu on the show page, or clicking the "recording" button while active prompting to "Do you want to stop this recording"? If this was a "Record series" recording, a prompt stating "Just this episode? or Cancel this series recording?"
  • Watch an in progress recording (had no idea you couldn't even do that until the above post and I tried it!)
  • (This may be a pain, but seems to be an oversight) If recording a channel (we'll use channel 2 as example) and I go to play live channel 2 (selecting in the guide, same thing currently recording), use the same tuner/stream for channel 2. Currently this same stream seems to take 2 tuners. This actually surprising as I believe MythTv can do the opposite, same channel with a ".1" selection can somehow record two separate streams on that same tuner concurrently (not bashing, just thought that was cool when I had noticed this when previously using it as a backend).

So not sure what else I can do to help support these requests, you have many users with many wants/needs and much to support.

If I can help with documentation, starting a poll (for priority), starting a thread with some layout ideas, or just shutting the hell up about it and let you work, let me know.

A method that I found interesting while reading the HDHR DVR thread.

Their team goes into development mode for a period of time where they only work on the end goal to incorporate features, only BIG issues that crop up get addressed and delay this development within this time.

They get the feature completed, and then go back to squashing the little non show stopper issues afterwards, and then work on that next feature on their development map.

While I don't know your method or resources, this sounded productive given the project.

I suppose this is similar to FDD (feature-driven development) within an agile development scheme. I don't know, just seems productive in this context.

Edited by bungee91
  • Like 1

Vidman

These days who doesn't have a smartphone or tablet? And it's more likely that most of the time you would want to schedule recording when you are not able to be sitting in front of the screen . Now of course you will say this is not the case in your situation, but the emby team prioritise features according to the highest demand and ease of use for the most people
  • Like 1

epayson85

Sorry have to 100% agree with wally... snarky or not lol. My gf absolutely will not go manage recordings via the web. When she wants to record anything, see up coming recordings, and so forth she uses the main tv with wmc on it. Have tried to get her on the web / Emby Android app on her phone. She wants nothing to do with it. If we are talking full solution... true WAF... then the web will not work. People want to manage their tv from a TV using a tv remote. Also just being honest... even I prefer it this way.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
Scott750

Bringing up an old post. I'm kinda like the OP. I can't leave WMC because the TV watching/recording just flat out works. Its inutive, smooth, and appliance-like. Rarely do I have to do anything to the program other than enjoy it. The wife is happy that she clicks 2 buttons and her favorite shows are playing quickly.

This may be a noob question, but since WMC was abandoned by Microsoft, what are the chances to just integrate the TV portion of WMC into Emby or Emby Theater? Is that even possibile? Or reverse engineer the program. Just thinking out loud is all....

What you should be doing is participating in the emby theater section of the community by leaving your feedback on what you'd like to see. we take your feedback very seriously and there are almost every day examples of user suggestions being incorporated into the apps.

• Like 2

bungee91

This may be a noob question, but since WMC was abandoned by Microsoft, what are the chances to just integrate the TV portion of WMC into Emby or Emby Theater? Is that even possibile? Or reverse engineer the program. Just thinking out loud is all....

If you choose to go this path, use the excellent ServerWMC plugin in the Emby plugins sections for LiveTv.

You get the WMC backend (which my wife is using to navigate/use in the one room as primary viewing), and the flexibility of Emby in all other areas.

It's as close as the Microsoft rumored "softsled" for WMC that you'll ever get.

However, if you don't have DRM channels (which won't work in Emby, but will in the location where WMC is used), the Emby implementation is pretty good, and getting better.

However, in the UWP update there is a Recording Management "Scheduled" icon that I STILL don't see in Theater (am I supposed to see this?).

Maybe it is because I have disabled the built in HDHR Emby backend, and am currently using SWMC. Or, it has only been added to the UWP app, and not Theater yet, IDK.? 

Edited by bungee91
  • Like 1