REQ: Auto-Start Behavior on Install/Update

Theodore

Theodore

I run Emby as a service on a Server 2008R2 VM. Can you please put in an install/upgrade option to choose the application, service, or none of the above to start when completed? What I have noticed is that on some updates you require a db cleanup or a re-index at start and when you have the application start automatically instead of the service (I am sure plenty of others use this too) it will sometimes cause errors and issues when I stop the application so I can restart the service.

Thank you!

• Like 1

It is not a bad idea but the number of users running as a service is fairly small and that's why we don't prioritize work for it very highly. There is another challenge to this as well though, the windows user has to have permission to start and stop services. So that means for us to do something like this we also have to be willing to deal with the inevitable "doesn't work" complaints when it's not able to start for this reason.

Theodore

It is not a bad idea but the number of users running as a service is fairly small and that's why we don't prioritize work for it very highly. There is another challenge to this as well though, the windows user has to have permission to start and stop services. So that means for us to do something like this we also have to be willing to deal with the inevitable "doesn't work" complaints when it's not able to start for this reason.

That's reasonable and understandable. How about instead of choosing between service and application at start, have a selectable option to to start or not start the app when finished? Even if it is checked to start the app as a default, this would let those of us running as a service do it our way with a very minimum of support bother on your part...

• Like 1

Ian-Highlander

Another vote for an option to stop it auto starting after upgrade for exactly the same reason (I run Emby as a service). As said above, appreciate it's not a highly used option, but for those of us that run Emby on dedicated servers it's a bit of a pain having to wait for it to finish whatever scan/database clean it does after an upgrade before then closing it and re-starting the service again.

Ian-Highlander

Perhaps even a simple tick box on the installer process itself that just says something along the lines of "Do not auto start Emby after this upgrade" that then disables the initialisation of the MediaBrowserServer.exe on that occasion from the installer?