No Dialog Track

mstubbs

mstubbs

Hi, on the Fire TV Stick App i'm having some audio issues - anything that is 5.1 won't play the dialog track.

I can choose 'Dpwnmix to Stereo' and untick 'Bitstream Dolby Digital audio' and this seems to fix it, but causes awful start/stopping of the video.

Anyone any idea how to fix this issue?

Cheers in advance

I should also mention that the videos play fine when using the 'Emby for Kodi' app, although i'm trying to move away from Kodi and into the Emby app

Edited by mstubbs

What is the stick plugged into?  Sounds like it doesn't support multi-channel audio so selecting downmix is the proper thing to do.

What is the media info on the item that you are playing and it stutters?  Sounds like maybe high-bitrate content that the little processor on the stick cannot decode fast enough so you may have to lower the bitrate to force transcoding on the server.

mstubbs

What is the stick plugged into?  Sounds like it doesn't support multi-channel audio so selecting downmix is the proper thing to do.

What is the media info on the item that you are playing and it stutters?  Sounds like maybe high-bitrate content that the little processor on the stick cannot decode fast enough so you may have to lower the bitrate to force transcoding on the server.

I have 2 sticks, both with same issue, one plugged into a 42 LED LG, the other a 24 LED.

This is an example that stutters

post-152699-0-76634300-1472413135_thumb.png

Cheers

Yeah, the server is simply not able to transcode that item fast enough for smooth playback.

What kind of hardware is it running on?

mstubbs

just a self built machine, amd e-350D APU 1.6GHz and 4 GB Ram, Windows 10

Some other 5.1s will play fine with the downmix, e.g

post-152699-0-64801600-1472414699_thumb.png

If its server side I guess i'll have to stick with kodi for now :(

1.2.31a

Okay, that is the release so Luke this doesn't have the changes you were thinking.

mstubbs

So tested the beta, this time everything direct plays (no matter on setting) and no dialog track at all. However if I set it to play with external player (I tested vlc) it plays perfect

Can you tell us exactly what you tried and what happened?

If you are trying to feed the audio direct to a device that cannot decode it, then you will get no audio, but setting the output to downmix should solve that (depending on exactly what is receiving it).

mstubbs
Okay, I've tried summarising everything

On stable:

Audio - Direct
  • 5.1 File
    Direct Play - No dialog track
  • 2.0 File
    Everything fine
Audio - Downmix

• 5.1 file
    Direct Play - No dialog track
  • 2.0 file
    Everything Fine
Audio - Downmix (Bitstream Dolby turned off)
  • 5.1 File
    Transcoding - Audio Works - Constant Stuttering and stopping
  • 2.0 File
    Everything Fine
On beta:

Audio - Direct
  • 5.1 File
    Direct Play - No dialog Track
  • 2.0 File
    Transcoding - Audio Fine
Audio - Downmix
  • 5.1 File
    Direct Play - No Dialog Track
  • 2.0 file
  • Transcoding - Audio fine
Audio - downmix (Bitstream Dolby turned off)
  • 5.1 File
    Transcoding - No Dialog track - Constant Stuttering and stopping
  • 2.0 File
    Direct Play but with audio sync out

Okay, if your connected equipment cannot accept a Dolby Digital stream (which, apparently, it won't) then you have to turn off the option to bitstream DD.  That is why you are getting no audio on DD tracks with that option on.

Now, on top of that, the Fire Stick is very underpowered so we must transcode any high-def content for it and, it appears also that, maybe your server is not powerful enough to handle the transcode...