Username VS Device Name and syncing DB

SwanStream
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

SwanStream

I have a few PC's setup that I use interchangeably. This may be related to my 'unreachable/VPN' question/problem post, but either way I'd like to get my head around it and make sure I'm not creating some conflict with this setup. I've seen a few threads related to this but I'm not clear on the cleanest way to use the settings.

So, for the sake of argument -

PC1 - username:Sage, Device Name:Kodi

PC2 - username:Sage, Device Name:Kodi2

PC3 - username:Sage, Device Name:Kodi3

With this setup my assumption is each PC updates it's own DB based on it's last update because it's known by a distinct Device Name, but all the watched/etc activity is tracked collectively because it's the same username.

Is that true and the best way to handle my situation or should I be using the "Permanent users to add to the session" under Extras in config options instead and give each device it's own username too?

• Solution
Angelblue05

The way you have it set up is fine. The only time it would be worth using different users is if you don't want the same libraries/watched status to be sync across all your devices. Device name is to identify the device in the emby dashboard, so really you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05