Audio sync prob on Shield but Plex on Shield is AOK

gene0915

gene0915

On my 'server' PC, I'm using Plex and was thinking about switching to Emby. Ran into a  problem during testing.

On my Nvidia Shield TV, if I go into Emby and watch a movie, the audio is out of sync. I need to adjust the audio to +200 in the Shield Emby app. and problem solved. Try another movie and the audio is in sync. So maybe it was that particular movie? Nope......cause that same movie in the Plex app on the Shield plays fine.

I tried this same movie on another TV that has an Apple TV 4 and using the Emby app, it played perfectly. So it looks like there is a problem with the Emby app on the Shield TV?

Any logs I should gather or is this more of a known problem with the way certain movies were encoded? Both movies were 720p MKV files.

Side note..... I really like the look of the Emby app for the Shield TV and Apple TV 4. Is there a reason the Roku app looks like garbage? The Plex app on Roku use to look like garbage for a LONG time but Roku finally dressed it up. Any plans to pretty up the Emby app on Roku?

It does sound like it could be an encoding issue with that particular item.  Does the problem occur on any other items?  Was a transcode or remux log produced on the server when it was playing.

We will be updating the Roku app and it will have a design very similar to the Android TV and Apple TV apps.  Thanks.

gene0915

It does sound like it could be an encoding issue with that particular item.  Does the problem occur on any other items?  Was a transcode or remux log produced on the server when it was playing.

We will be updating the Roku app and it will have a design very similar to the Android TV and Apple TV apps.  Thanks.

Thanks for the reply but after playing around with the Emby app on the Shield TV some more, I'm not interested in pursuing this issue. Not because I don't like Emby......... I'm just not liking the Android eco system as a whole. I'm leaning more and more towards the Apple TV 4. And using Emby on the Apple TV 4, this same movie played perfectly in sync.

Some of the weird problems I've had with the Nvidia Shield;

1) When using the HDHR View app, audio sync problems on 1 or 2 channels TV channels.

2) When using the HDHR View app, weird interlacing issue on 1 TV channel in particular.

3) When using Kodi 16.1 and watching some 720p MKV files, the video is just...............off. Some movies play perfectly, others have a ever so slight problem with ghosting on fast motion scenes.

..... when using Emby on the Apple TV 4, I don't see ant of these problems with movies. Just waiting on Live TV to be added to the Emby/ATV4 app and I think I'll be set. :) In the mean time, the Channels app is working great.

I'm going to carry out some more tests this weekend and if everything works fine, I'll probably buy a lifetime subscription to Emby. Keep up the great work!

In the meantime before live tv is added to apple tv, the app does support remote control so you should be able to play a channel that way.

gene0915

In the meantime before live tv is added to apple tv, the app does support remote control so you should be able to play a channel that way.

I couldn't really find anything on remote control other than controlling other apps. Do you mean Emby could control the 'Channels' app on the ATV4 and display that app from within Emby?

gene0915

No I mean the emby app on your smartphone can remote control the emby app on the TV.

Oh :) .....unfortunately I think I'm one of the few people on the planet that doesn't have a smartphone. The only cell phone I have is an old flip phone that I keep in my car for emergencies. I'm fine with using Channels for live TV on the Apple box and the Emby app for everything else.