DVB Viewer - new user - issues

Hi, I have just installed DVB Viewer + DVB Viewer Recording Service + Emby Plug In to try and get TV incorporated into the Emby Server.

I do have it working to some respect, but not as well as I had hoped.

What works:

1. I can see the guide in Emby with correct channels, guide data and channel logos

2. I can watch (and pause) live TV

What doesn't work:

1. I cannot schedule a recording within Emby - it says it is scheduled, but it then disappears and doesn't stick, and the instruction to record does not register with the DVB Viewer Recording Service

2. I can't start playing back a tv show that is still recording (timeshift)

Also... the refresh guide data in Emby Server is stuck at 0.0% and is not moving.

I have rebooted many times.

I am running Emby Server 3.1.47.0

DVB Viewer TV Plug in 0.8.3.0

DVB Viewer 5.6.4.0

DVB Viewer Recording Service 1.33.01.00

Please advise whether this is expected behaviour, or a configuration problem. Many thanks.

lisa

Hi there, welcome. In order to best answer this, please provide the information requested in how to report a problem.

If you really are running Emby Server 3.1.47, please note this is an old beta release. If you're going to run pre-release versions it's important you stay current with the latest, so I would update that first.

Thanks!

Thanks Luke,

I think I updated to that beta version because I wanted a 'killer' feature that it had at that time, maybe series pooling?

But now that I am a fully paid up member of Emby, the whole house is running it as a replacement to Media Portal, so I want to be safe and run stable versions only. What would you advise I do?

lisa

Thanks Luke, I did as you suggested and I am now running Emby Server version 3.0.6070.0.

The issues with DVB Viewer still remain unfortunately

1. The guide refresh is stuck at 0.0%

2. I cannot generate any recordings from within Emby

3. I cannot start playing back a recorded tv file from the recordings folder, if it is still recording.

Thanks

lisa

Thanks, I attach the log from the server. 

The steps I took were to open Emby and navigate to the TV guide and then pick a programme in the guide and set it to record, a notification came up to say that the recording had been scheduled, and the programme in the guide had a red dot on it. However, I then navigated away from the guide and back again, and the red dot had gone. I went into DVB Viewer Recording Service and there was no indication that it had picked up the instructions from Emby to record the programme. I started recording a current programme (using DVB Viewer recording service) and went back to Emby. The programme was showing as recording within the TV Guide and I navigated to the recordings folder, where the programme was showing. I then clicked to play the programme but I just got a never ending spinning circle and the programme did not play back. However, if I navigated to the folder where the recordings are stored, I could playback the still recording file from there.

Also, in the Emby Server Dashboard under running tasks - Refresh Guide is sitting at 0.0% and not progressing.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Log.txt

pünktchen

Thanks Luke, I did as you suggested and I am now running Emby Server version 3.0.6070.0.

The issues with DVB Viewer still remain unfortunately

1. The guide refresh is stuck at 0.0%

2. I cannot generate any recordings from within Emby

3. I cannot start playing back a recorded tv file from the recordings folder, if it is still recording.

Thanks

lisa

Hi lisa,

1. Does it never finish? Depending on the number of channels, the guide refresh progress doesn't change for 10 minutes here and then goes from 0% to 100% within one minute.

2. You've tried to set a series schedule, am i right? This should generate a "epg search" not a real timer in Recording Service. Please check it in RS webinterface!

3. How many tuners do you have? If you try to watch an active recording from the guide, the real time live tv stream is started not the active recording. This is the way Emby works.

Timeshifting is not possible in any Emby client no matter what live tv backend you use.

Hi Punktchen,

Thanks very much for your reply - really helpful.

1. No, it never finishes, but never seems to start either - it has been on 0.0% for 3 hours now (since I installed the new version of Emby Server and re-booted).

2. No, not a series recording, just tried to record a one off programme an hour or so ahead in the TV Guide

3. Okay, that makes sense, thanks. Does Emby support recording multiple channels from one mux using just one tuner?

Some extra context, I currently use Argus TV for all of my TV recording and watching and have that configured with four tuners. . Unfortunately since switching from Media Portal to Emby, I am not able to incorporate Argus TV. The workaround is to just have Emby point at the recorded TV folder, so I can at least watch the Argus recordings within Emby (Theatre).

I have bought another USB DVB-T2 tuner just to experiment, to see how I can incorporate live / recorded tv / scheduling within Emby, if I find a good way, I can then maybe move away from Argus TV.

lisa

pünktchen

Hi Punktchen,

Thanks very much for your reply - really helpful.

1. No, it never finishes, but never seems to start either - it has been on 0.0% for 3 hours now (since I installed the new version of Emby Server and re-booted).

2. No, not a series recording, just tried to record a one off programme an hour or so ahead in the TV Guide

3. Okay, that makes sense, thanks. Does Emby support recording multiple channels from one mux using just one tuner?

Some extra context, I currently use Argus TV for all of my TV recording and watching and have that configured with four tuners. . Unfortunately since switching from Media Portal to Emby, I am not able to incorporate Argus TV. The workaround is to just have Emby point at the recorded TV folder, so I can at least watch the Argus recordings within Emby (Theatre).

I have bought another USB DVB-T2 tuner just to experiment, to see how I can incorporate live / recorded tv / scheduling within Emby, if I find a good way, I can then maybe move away from Argus TV.

lisa

1. @@Luke any insights from the log? Why does the guide refresh start and stop some seconds later? Keep in mind i don't set any event triggers in my code.

2. Okay. I'll have to check it myself. Maybe something has changed in the RS webinterface. I've coded the plugin, but i'm a MediaPortal user so i don't recognize if something gets broken with DVBViewer.

3. Emby itself doesn't record anything if one is using an external live tv service. The tv backends to all the hard work.

Please don't fill in your recording path in the live tv settings page of Emby's dashboard. This is intended for Emby's core live tv and not for external live tv services. I guess it will conflict with recordings from the DVBViewer plugin.

Maybe define your ArgusTV recording folder just as a regular library?!

Thanks. Could this be causing the drain on system resources? Please see screenshot - it seems that Emby Server is using a lot of memory, but all it is seemingly doing is being stuck on the refresh guide task.

post-140146-0-88599200-1472251162_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Could this be causing the drain on system resources? Please see screenshot - it seems that Emby Server is using a lot of memory, but all it is seemingly doing is being stuck on the refresh guide task.

Yes the repeated guide refreshes could cause that.

@punktchen - that now works, thank you very much for fixing that - it is a killer feature - I can now schedule recordings on DVB Viewer via Emby - really useful  :)

@@Luke - thanks for confirming the issue regarding the high memory usage, can you suggest a workaround for the time being?

I can't afford to have Emby cripple the system resources on my server machine as it is on 24/7, hosts all of the tv tuners, does all the recording / scheduling / and serves all the media files to the whole family.

I tried exiting Emby Server over night but now this morning none of the Recorded TV that happened over night is showing up, and the library scan is taking ages, so I am not very popular!

Is there maybe a beta or developer version of Emby Server that I could switch to where this issue is fixed?

It seems that the memory usage increases from 200mb to 1100mb in a 24 hour period. Will I have to manually restart Emby Server every 24 hours as a workaround? Is there anything else I can do to manage this, until a fix is found?

Wonderful,I had been out all day, when I got home the server had auto updated, restarted itself and memory usage was around 200 / 300mb

I did a manual guide refresh and it completed after 7 minutes.

Memory usage still stable at 300mb

It seems to be fixed - thank you very much  :)