New HDHomerun Extend Live TV Stops Playing

lcasadonte

lcasadonte

I had the old non dlna tuner and was experiencing the random ffmpeg and tuner release issues using serverwmc.  I decided to upgrade to the new extend with dlna and onboard transcoding.  After some amount of time (minutes) tv just stops playing.  Audio also drops out.  I have a firetv client.  I tried setting the fps at 30 instead of 60 and I have turned direct play on/off and vlc on/off w/direct play.  Problem still persists.  It looks like I'm direct streaming but having some issues that are ultimately disrupting the stream.  Any help is appreciated. 

Logs.zip

Are you sure it isn't an issue with the source signal?

Although, the Fire TV app is pretty resilient to this.  It will wait for it to resume and even re-try after a time of bad signal.

Hi, welcome. The logs look OK to me. If I had to guess you're probably getting a random signal drop and that is disrupting playback.

There is definitely work we can do in the future to handle this better, such as automatically reconnecting, but based on what I see right now that's what it looks like.

lcasadonte

It plays the same channel through the web app without dropping.  The signal is not 100% but it was 89%.  Any time I've had issues it pixelates using the other hdhomerun (non dlna and serverwmc) but never drops completely.  Is there something else I can try?  It looks like I'm putting out a direct stream ~10mb video stream from the hdhomerun.  I could try playing the channel directly by the tv through dlna and see if it drops there.

I very rarely see the player quit as well. Even when the signal drops for quite a while. But I use it mostly on the shield which is a different version of Android.

Wired or wireless?

lcasadonte

All wired.  The hdhomerun is transcoding and is not playing the native format of the hdhomerun.  Is it possible to play mpeg2 directly?

Edited by lcasadonte

lcasadonte

Just in case anyone else see's this post, where I am at now is direct play on fire tv on but use the internal player, I set the default profile to transcode on the hdhomerun to none but it looks like it still picks up the heavy profile.  So far I can stream for extended times so it looks like it might have had something to do with the vlc player in terms of the stopping.  The hdhomerun is still transcoding to h264 in the heavy profile and streaming at up to 20mb. If anything changes I'll post back.

lcasadonte

Thanks I was still having issues no matter the config changes I was making.  Was hoping to post back with something that worked.  Earlier optimism was misplaced.  I'll try the firmware upgrade.

lcasadonte

Well initial feedback is that didn't work.  I have this in the transcoding log before it fails.  Does anyone know what it means? :

[ac3 @ 0000000003462b20] exponent -1 is out-of-range[ac3 @ 0000000003462b20] error decoding the audio blockframe=23443 fps= 29 q=-1.0 size=  903457kB time=00:13:24.23 bitrate=9202.7kbits/s speed=1.01x    frame=23468 fps= 29 q=-1.0 size=  903457kB time=00:13:26.03 bitrate=9182.1kbits/s speed=1.01x    frame=23485 fps= 29 q=-1.0 size=  903995kB time=00:13:26.60 bitrate=9181.1kbits/s speed=1.01x    frame=23498 fps= 29 q=-1.0 size=  904113kB time=00:13:27.10 bitrate=9176.6kbits/s speed=1.01x    frame=23506 fps= 29 q=-1.0 size=  904251kB time=00:13:27.43 bitrate=9174.2kbits/s speed=1.01x    [ac3 @ 0000000003462b20] exponent -1 is out-of-range[ac3 @ 0000000003462b20] error decoding the audio block[matroska @ 0000000003a5aae0] Timestamps are unset in a packet for stream 0. This is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Fix your code to set the timestamps properlyframe=23511 fps= 29 q=-1.0 size=  905242kB time=00:13:28.77 bitrate=9169.1kbits/s speed=1.01x    frame=23528 fps= 29 q=-1.0 size=  905242kB time=00:13:29.47 bitrate=9161.2kbits/s speed=1.01x    [matroska @ 0000000003a5aae0] Can't write packet with unknown timestampav_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argumentframe=23533 fps= 29 q=-1.0 Lsize=  906363kB time=00:13:29.69 bitrate=9170.1kbits/s speed=1.01x    video:893516kB audio:12728kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: 0.013238%[aac @ 0000000003a3ba80] Qavg: 1073.533Conversion failed!

lcasadonte

Ok I was able to delete and re-add the tuner and guide.  I wasn't clicking on the black area icon I was trying to click on the green icon.  I could never get to the properties though.  I re-added the tuner with the transcoding option on explicitly.  I still can't get to the properties.  It keeps cutting out though.  How would I tell if this unit was being recognized properly as its so new a model?

lcasadonte

I figured I'd re delete the tuner and reinstall with transcoding off this time and see if that effected anything.  I'll post back.

lcasadonte

Ok that looks positive so far.  It definitely provoked the unit not to transcode and allow emby to do that which seems like its working.  Stupid question but i didn't think direct play was transcoding anything so is it possible that direct play drops the input when the signal strength waivers instead of reconnecting?  So in direct play mode I don't get pixelization I would get dropout but in transcode mode I just get pixelization and maybe brief stutter.

Guest asrequested

Given this new info, I wonder if your unit is defective. At least the transcoding hardware. Maybe Luke and ebr can explain if there's a coding issue?

Guest asrequested

I think maybe when it's transcoding, there's a buffer, so when the signal wavers,it maybe be able to push through. Either way, maybe you should invest in a signal booster?

Edited by Doofus

I cant seem to get at the properties of the tuner, not even to delete and re-add.

Make sure you're running the latest version of Emby Server. Try installing from the website.

lcasadonte

I hit another issue while recording, the second tuner didn't release and now that emby controls it i don't seem to be able to manually reset one of the tuners.  Is there a way to do this?

Update to the latest version.

Also, there is no such thing as "tuner doesn't release", because Emby does not take locks on your tuners, it simply uses the Dlna video stream. After Emby disconnects from that video stream, it is the HDHR's responsibility to ensure it is available for re-use.