Emby for Kodi on OSMC "Unable to direct play file"

XiphosZA
Go to solution Solved by XiphosZA,

XiphosZA

Good day all

I was wondering if somebody can perhaps help. I Have reinstalled my raspberry Pi 2 with the latest version of OSMC July 2016.07-1 and reinstalled the Emby for Kodi repo.

I followed the instructions on GitHub or the ones on the Kodi page so i do belief my settings are correct.

I have used OSMC and Emby together for quite a long time now and it makes a excellent media player but ever since i have reloaded the Pii and the Emby repo

I do not seem to be able to play any videos regardless of the file format or codec.

I keep on getting the message popping up saying : "Unable to direct play file smb://odin/videos/"  (any file name or extension)

I have read on this forum something about manually updating the OSMC which i have done even though its not 100% related.

I have checked .my network credentials for smb access and they are correct.

All my other networked devices ie: WDTV and Roku works perfectly direct playing or trans coding from my Emby server.

Perhaps i'm being a complete tool and i'm missing something.

If somebody can please perhaps point me in the right direction to get this resolved perhaps have experienced the same issue and a solutions.

I have also added the server log file

server-63607740708.txt

Edited by XiphosZA

XiphosZA

Just an update.

I have disconnected all other media players on the network and restarted the server and regenerated the log as posted on the top post.

I have also instead of using the server name used the IP address when entering the network credentials with still no luck.

Angelblue05

Sorry - I missed your post because you posted in the wrong forum section. We have a Kodi forum, just so you are aware next time.

Are you able to navigate to your content via Kodi settings > addons > install from zip > smb

Verify that your path is correct. Enter credentials if asked. By the way, if you are using native playback mode and you change your path in emby, you will need to do a reset local database in Emby for Kodi, otherwise the latest change won't be applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

XiphosZA

Hi Angelblue

My apology couldn't find a OSMC section under kodi forum so i posted it under other apps

Yes i can see my content if i navigate as you have explained. I'm not using native playback mode i use the adon default for emby.

Funny thing is i installed Kodi on my Desktop and installed the Emby for kodi works perfect and it plays all my media with no problems. However on the Pi2 with osmc sames settings i cannot play my media.

Also tried loading openelec with the same issue. I do feel when we get it to work its gonna be a small thing and it's going to bite me in the A.. once we figured it out.

• Like 1

XiphosZA

Just to add i have tried doing as you suggested to follow the install from zip and smb again this time i ticked remember this path and the media is playing perfectly now. :/ 

It appears that it's not looking up the network credentials from the emby config section or am i just grabbing at straws?

Angelblue05

The only way to verify would be to post your Kodi log while having add-on path selected, then trying to playback something. 

I am not sure why it wouldn't work - it's all Kodi handling credentials once we pass the path to Kodi for playback.

Edit: Yeah, we don't have subforums for Kodi devices - Think of Kodi as if you are using Emby for Kodi, post here.

@@CBers could you move the thread, thanks :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

XiphosZA

I'd be glad to send the logs please see attached.

I have reinstalled the Pi 2 again and reinstalled Emby for kodi version 2.2.19 so we can get nice and clean logs

Selected playback mode: Addon (Default)

Entered the SMB network credentials in the Emby playback tab (same credentials as the ones i used in our previous step "add from zip")

I have uploaded the Kodi log and also the OSMC log.

I have noticed a string in the Kodi log

01:14:53  66.421074 T:1728852976  NOTICE: EMBY.playutils -> Unable to direct play.

01:15:03  76.246307 T:1728852976   DEBUG: LocalizeStrings: no strings.po file exist at /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby/resources/language/English, fallback to strings.xml

and the same in the osmc log

01:15:03  76.243973 T:1728852976  NOTICE: EMBY.playutils -> Unable to direct play.
01:15:03  76.246307 T:1728852976   DEBUG: LocalizeStrings: no strings.po file exist at /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby/resources/language/English, fallback to strings.xml

Kodi-log.txt

OSMC-Log.txt

• Like 1

Angelblue05

string would not cause this.

Very strange - and switching to native and reset your local database to compare? Thanks! :)

• Like 1

XiphosZA

Thanks for moving the thread to the correct forum

Ok so attached please find Kodi and osmc the logs

Again did a clean install to have clean logs and only installed the emby for kodi repo and "kodi logfile uploader"

First it didn't want to ply but i entered the network credentials incorrectly, after modifying the network credentials it worked 100%

Kodi-Direct paths .txt

OSMC-Direct paths .txt

• Like 1

• Solution
XiphosZA

Hi guys

Now i'm completely baffled i decided do a final reload again and follow the usual steps like in my first post, installed the emby repo and set it to addon default.

And it works, :D  the only 2 thing that i've done different this time was i have decided to uninstall my emby server application from my home server earlier today and reinstalled it. And plugged in a keyboard instead of using the remote control. Do you think it might have been an issue with the server app?  :unsure:

I have tried so many things and spent allot of time trying to figure this out and "poof" its fixed  :ph34r: . I don't know what could have resolved the issue. Or it might have been finger trouble inserting the correct network credentials using the remote.  ^_^

But i must thank the emby team for the great work you guys are doing i have been with you since the beginning since the windows media center days and wont use anything ells.

Thanks Angelblue for your patience and friendly advice

Edited by XiphosZA
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Really glad you worked it out. It's very strange but my guess is your network credentials gave you a bit of trouble. :) I did notice that sometimes, with the virtual keyboard in Kodi, it will not type numbers, but rather the symbols associated. But at this point, who knows.

I checked your logs and the path were the exact same, so the only thing that could have made a difference is the network credentials..

Edited by Angelblue05

• 2 weeks later...
Psychophylaxis

I had exactly the same problem with direct play over samba not working.

My smb shares do not have any credentials set, so its nothing to do with that.

Direct play path in the Kodi log was correct.

Kodi could navigate to the samba share through Install from zip.

Kodi wouldn't play the files.

I uninstalled Emby addon and reinstalled. Didn't change anything else. Didn't reboot.

Now direct play works.