Emby/Kodi vs VPN....

SwanStream

SwanStream

This is maybe a little nitch to get any help with, but I'm hoping for some suggestions...

I've got an emby server that does work 'stuff' that requires me to use a VPN based on OpenVPN. I know no more on that subject. I'm often connected for days at a time. The result in the local network is my network goes from private/home to public/unidentified when I'm connected via the VPN. This throws my local network into convulsions, partly related (as far as I can figure) to firewall settings.

So I've opened port 8096 and that seems to take care of it. What's odd is that although this setup has been in place without changes for a year or so, I've not had the 'server unreachable' message very often or as far as I can tell related to this 'fix'. 

Two real questions: Has something in the Emby/Kodi ecosystem changed that would explain this new problem with an old setup?  and Is opening the port the right way to fix this problem without opening myself up to the big bad web?

Thx in advance!

SwanStream

Follow-up. Seems that was a temp fix! The only "fix" I've found is to turn off the firewall all together, which obviously isn't a fix. Any help greatly appreciated.

Angelblue05

Is the webclient reachable without turning off your firewall (from outside the vpn)? Again, I don't see how this is an Emby for Kodi issue. Might have better luck posting your question in the server section.  ;)

Edited by Angelblue05

shorty1483

@

I also recognized in the past that Server takes the VPN public IP when using VPN. You could try the following:

Server Dashboard-> Advanced settings->Bind local IP address (give in your server LAN IP)

Luke insterted this setting for such things.

But at least you're not exposing infos to the web as long you just open 8096 on the Emby server machine (at least this port and/or 8920 for SSL need to be open), as long as the port is closed on your router/web gateway.

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

SwanStream

@@shorty1483

Thanks! added that to the config and will see if this stabilizes the issue. I'm usually careful to start Emby before the VPN so it's clean, but maybe I've screwed up now and then.

Question though - I've been looking at the dashboard 'status' of the server and the "Local access:" # has always been stated as the LAN IP and not the VPN #, so are you saying that MAY NOT be true? 

@@Angelblue05

Good suggestion. Got another question that is Emby for Kodi that I'll post separately.

• Like 1

shorty1483

@@shorty1483

Thanks! added that to the config and will see if this stabilizes the issue. I'm usually careful to start Emby before the VPN so it's clean, but maybe I've screwed up now and then.

Question though - I've been looking at the dashboard 'status' of the server and the "Local access:" # has always been stated as the LAN IP and not the VPN #, so are you saying that MAY NOT be true? 

@@Angelblue05

Good suggestion. Got another question that is Emby for Kodi that I'll post separately.

My IP changed on Windows Emby Server after establishing VPN connection as Client. That's why I mentioned.