Music Ratings from Tags

sea3pea0

sea3pea0

I initially synced my kodi music library without the feature to import ratings from tags since it takes so long to import a music library with 8000 tracks on my synology nas. I am wondering how the best way to go about syncing my music library if I want to enable that feature now that the initial scan is done? Do I need to initiate a repair local database or is there an easier way to get the music ratings to sync without having to rebuild the whole database?

Thanks

Angelblue05

I mean, you could definitely do a repair local database sync with the music setting enabled. It will definitely force update all of your content. Thing is, it will take just as long to rebuild your whole database.... In fact, I do believe it would be faster doing a reset, since the repair will verify the entry exists in Kodi - that verification alone repeated for every item will extend the sync time compared to the reset/re-adding process.

The repair sync is still basic. The plan is to implement repair based on either the media type (movies, tv shows, music, etc) or by emby view (emby library sections). However, time being limited means I haven't had a chance to get around to adding this part yet.

Edited by Angelblue05

sea3pea0

Thanks for the clarification. I think the plans for the repair feature are good and I do understand time being a limitation :).  The time it takes to get emby and kodi setup and running smoothly almost turned me away from using emby initially. As it stands now, it seems like scanning my entire library into emby/kodi will take about 12+ hours if everything goes well. As I was getting accustomed to setting emby up, I had some issues that turned this into a multiple day affair. First thing I discovered that was really slowing the library scan into emby was leaving the DLNA settings on, which were the default settings. Turning all the DLNA settings off really sped things up. Then I was having issues with Kodi losing connection to emby at random points during the initial scan, as a matter of fact that just happened again now while I was writing this. I was a little dismayed by all this in the beginning, considering the process of getting my library set up with kodi and mysql only takes about 2 hours.

Despite all the initial work, I am confident that once everything is set up, I will be happy with the emby/kodi ecosystem.

I have a few more questions though. So when Kodi loses connection to the emby server whats the best recourse at that point? should I just close Kodi and restart and let the scan begin again or should I do another reset? Another thing if kodi loses connection to emby server and I restart kodi is all the progress lost?

Update: One more question. Once I get kodi's library completely set up on one of my kodi devices can I just back up that device and restore it to my 2 other kodi devices as long as I reset the device id's for the emby addons on those devices? 

Edited by sea3pea0
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Sadly, it's one of these feature the server doesn't do. It doesn't read rating tag from files. So marcelveldt added a way to do it within the add-on as a way to circumvent the situation. Performance wise - it would be faster if the server did the work instead of the add-on.

Yes to your question. You could build your library on a faster device (has to be the same kodi version). Then back up the files and manually add them to your other devices.

For the disconnect - does it not recover from it? When it happens, does your server becomes unresponsive? Are you still able to access the webclient? Let me know.

Edited by Angelblue05

sea3pea0

Finally got my library synced with Kodi, It did take around 12 hours. I didn't think about doing the sync from my windows machine, that probably would have went a lot faster. Oh well, good to know in case I need to do this all over again in the future. 

• Like 1

sea3pea0

@@Angelblue05 - Got a few more questions about this process.

1) If I have multiple Kodi clients, if one client has the setting "Import music song rating directly from file", will those ratings update other kodi clients or must that be set on all kodi clients to get ratings in kodi?

2) If I have the settings "Convert music song rating to Emby rating" and "Allow rating in song files to be updated" what exactly will be written to tags, kodi style 1-4 or emby style?

Thanks

Angelblue05

@@marcelveldt

The only thing I removed was the rating sent to Emby from the context menu, since Emby doesn't have a dislike/like rating anymore.

@@sea3pea0

I'm not familiar with that aspect, sorry. Maybe our wiki will help you, but I'm not sure where it stands right now with the rating system needing rework: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Emby-for-kodi-settings#music-metadata-options-not-compatible-with-direct-stream

Edited by Angelblue05

sea3pea0

I noticed that these 2 options together caused all my music files that did not have a rating tag to be tagged with "<RATING> : 20" which translates in Kodi to a rating of 1: "Convert music song rating to Emby rating" and "Allow rating in song files to be updated"

Another question about ratings if somebody can answer, if a rating is changed on Kodi machine A, will that change be reflected on machines B and C also, assuming all machines are running the emby addon?

Also, if the rating is changed from another music player or tag editor, will emby pick up that change and pass it on the Kodi?