Unable to direct play file

huffyX0X0
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

huffyX0X0

Hello emby Community!

First time posting!

So I have a little dilemma, I have kodi installed on my PC as well as Android phone. I can play all the files from my network (external hard drive connected to router via USB - Seagate 1 and Seagate 2), external hard drive (Segate 3) on the PC and local files on my PC. With  that saying I can access my PC and network drives as well as the local files on the PC from my Macbook by enable the share settings.

Now, when I try to play something off my android phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) with kodi (and emby add-on is installed) I am only able to play files from Seagate 1 and 2 that is connected on the router. But not Seagate 3 or the local files on the PC.

I've tried connecting to the server with my macbook with the remote IP address and playing files from all sources works. I've tried connecting to the server from my browser on my phone (and not connected to wifi, yes on LTE) and all files work from the sources. 

I just can't seem to figure out why the kodi client can't play the files from Seagate 3 and Local files on the PC

I have attached the kodi.log files

Please help, I would really appreciate it!

kodi.log

Angelblue05

Does the path look correct?

smb://GLENNARJAY-PC/Seagate 3/The.5th.Wave.2016.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-ETRG/The.5th.Wave.2016.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-ETRG.mkv

Otherwise, try the following: In Kodi settings > add-ons > install from zip > navigate to your seagate 3 via smb. Make sure credentials are in if needed and the path corresponds to what I pasted here.

huffyX0X0

Thanks for replying back!

And yes the path is correct. 

As for going to install from zip and selecting the smb option - Windows network (SMB), once opened there are no options i can browse to. There is no credentials pop up that came up. That could probably be the reason, how can I add my credentials?

shorty1483

Thanks for replying back!

And yes the path is correct. 

As for going to install from zip and selecting the smb option - Windows network (SMB), once opened there are no options i can browse to. There is no credentials pop up that came up. That could probably be the reason, how can I add my credentials?

Did you add network credentials inside Emby?

If not or just to be sure to reenter, navigate into the Emby settings (Addons->User Addons->Video->Emby). Inside this is a menu point for network credentials. Click it and you will be asked for your server name/address + login credentials.

Also be sure that path substitutions inside Emby are all correct. 

Additionaly to angels suggestion, have you tried out to navigate to your Seagate 3 through the Kodi File Browser? If network credentials set on the PC, there should be a prompt when you navigate to the HDD over SMB.

Edited by shorty1483

Angelblue05

What do you mean by there are no options when selecting smb? Are you not seeing your storage at all, even for your other content?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

huffyX0X0

What do you mean by there are no options when selecting smb? Are you not seeing your storage at all, even for your other content?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is correct, once I open up Windows network (SMB) i only have the option for to go back to parent folder the .. option.

As for network credentials that would be for the same as my user name and password associated with my PC?

huffyX0X0

As for my PC kodi, when I check the Windows Network, there are options to navigate to the Seagate 1 and 2 and PC

• Solution
Angelblue05

The fact that you are not seeing anything under smb is very odd? You should see your workgroup/pc names.... I've had that problem where accessing SMB didn't return anything last year. I have multiple PC on my network. This is what helped me, but I don't know if it would at least resolve that issue for you - might be worth trying: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=126007&pid=1060307#pid1060307

Yes, the credentials are the ones needed to access the PC shares. So they would be your windows account user/password where the content is located.

Edited by Angelblue05

huffyX0X0

The fact that you are not seeing anything under smb is very odd? You should see your workgroup/pc names.... I've had that problem where accessing SMB didn't return anything last year. I have multiple PC on my network. This is what helped me, but I don't know if it would at least resolve that issue for you - might be worth trying: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=126007&pid=1060307#pid1060307

Thanks, I'll check out the link.

Yes, the credentials are the ones needed to access the PC shares. So they would be your windows account user/password where the content is located.

With this, when it asks for the server name or ip address. Would I put the Computer name for the server name or the static ip address of the PC, correct? 

Would I need to add the :(Port#) after the ip address?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

With this, when it asks for the server name or ip address. Would I put the Computer name for the server name or the static ip address of the PC, correct? 

Would I need to add the :(Port#) after the ip address?

You'd put your server name as it is in your paths. The logic behind it is so Kodi can associate the credentials with the correct path. So if your paths are smb://GLENNARJAY-PC/ for example: GLENNARJAY-PC would be the name you'd put in. If your paths are smb://{ipaddress}/, then you'd put the ip address as server name.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

huffyX0X0

This is weird. When I go to file manager under settings > add source > browse, and add a network location with the same credentials. It shows the path and I'm able to access the PC and play the files.

Angelblue05

Yea, sounds like you are having the same issue I was. The issue is having Kodi discover the PCs on your network (the problem) vs telling it where to look (not the problem).

What I suggested wasn't towards resolving the playback issue/credentials, but if you are able to navigate via SMB to your content, then we would most likely have the answer to resolving your playback issue. :) Either being credentials missing/incorrect or incorrect path or something else completely.

Angelblue05

@@huffy204

What worked? You said you added the source? But really you should not, otherwise it will mess with Emby for Kodi. Or did you hit cancel afterwards? :)

Just curious for future reference.

huffyX0X0

@@huffy204

What worked? You said you added the source? But really you should not, otherwise it will mess with Emby for Kodi. Or did you hit cancel afterwards? :)

Just curious for future reference.

Oh hahaha. The link you've sent about changing the 2 registry files worked. 

• Like 2

Angelblue05

Oh! That's great, and this also resolved your playback issue with your seagate 3? :o

Edited by Angelblue05

huffyX0X0

Yes it did. I am able to play the videos.

But If i were to install from zip and go to windows network. I still can't see anything on my network. But am I able to play from Segate 3

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Very interesting, thanks for the info. Glad it's working now.

It's still odd you are not seeing the shares in the file browser. Might be worth reporting that you can't see the shares in the official Kodi forums, because it's definitely not normal.

Edited by Angelblue05

Hi Guys - I'm having a similar issue.

I'm running latest Kodi Emby Add On and I recently had to rebuild my windows server which hosts Emby. Everything is working great on the new server except I cannot direct play via Kodi.

I have followed this thread as best I could. I can browse / play natively via Kodi (using file manager). But via Emby add I get the direct play error. Paths are verified, access accounts are verified. Kodi can play my music library using the same credentials without issue.

I can also browse my server via the Plug-in SMB method as suggested. Out of ideas on what could be causing this.

Log example:

7:32:12 T:140306967693056  NOTICE: EMBY.playutils -> Verifying path: smb://mcserver/video/tv/Air Crash Investigation/Season 6/Air.Crash.Investigation.S06E01.SWESUB.PDTV.XviD-REMAiN/aci.s06e01.xvid-remain.avi
17:32:12 T:140306967693056  NOTICE: EMBY.playutils -> Failed to find file.
17:32:12 T:140306967693056  NOTICE: EMBY.playutils -> Unable to direct play.

huffyX0X0

I'm running latest Kodi Emby Add On and I recently had to rebuild my windows server which hosts Emby. Everything is working great on the new server except I cannot direct play via Kodi.

Where are you playing kodi off from? 

When I was having problems it was from my Android phone and my PC was working fine.