Embedded Forced subtitles do not display

puithove

Guest asrequested

So, I was just testing ripping forced subs, to see if I was able to get the forced text isolated and have all the extraneous text removed while ripping. I was successful. I'm not sure if you want all the text, but if you want just the forced text, so that it will display correctly, it is achievable. Personally, I only want the parts that need translating, so I am happy with that.

• 1 year later...
SofaPilot

So, I was just testing ripping forced subs, to see if I was able to get the forced text isolated and have all the extraneous text removed while ripping. I was successful. I'm not sure if you want all the text, but if you want just the forced text, so that it will display correctly, it is achievable. Personally, I only want the parts that need translating, so I am happy with that.

I realize this is a late entry to an old post, but can you tell us how you managed to isolate only the forced text within a subtitle track that has both forced and non-forced subtitles?

Edited by SofaPilot
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I realize this is a late entry to an old post, but can you managed to isolate only the forced text within a subtitle track that has both forced and non-forced subtitles?

That would be nice if it could.  I've got several mkv files like this with PGS style subtitles where there are only a few forced lines within the one full movie subtitle file but Emby can't pick out the lines which are marked forced.  I usually end up having to convert them to text based subtitles like SRT and saving just the forced parts.

Guest asrequested

MPV has support of forced subs. I'm going to experiment and see what it does

5a0e5682a9c7e_Snapshot_301.jpg

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

MPV has support of forced subs. I'm going to experiment and see what it does

5a0e5682a9c7e_Snapshot_301.jpg

Well, that appears to work, perfectly. I ripped a disc and only remuxed it, using the original content. Both sub tracks are PGS. One of them has the forced text among the rest of the text. Putting sub-forced-only in my conf, and selecting the sub tracks on playback, it only plays the forced text. Removing that command from the conf and playing the same sub track, all text is displayed.

• Like 2

SofaPilot

Doofus, thank you for the suggestion to use DVDFab's "Display only forced subtitles" option on the Ripper. 

For everyone else, that suggestion works great, only capturing the forced subtitles out of a mixed subtitles file.  It doesn't mark the whole track as "forced", so it doesn't automatically load like other forced tracks, but his other suggestion to use MKVTooknix to mark that track as forced and remux does make it load automatically.  Sweet!  :)

Guest asrequested

And remember, if you're using Theater desktop, you can create an mpv.conf with the line sub-forced-only, and if you have PGS forced subs, it will display only the forced text.

puithove

That's a great find @ - I think ET's current behavior though would break this.  If you use ET's Forced Only subtitle option, it will only select/enable a subtitle track if the whole track itself is marked as forced.  So in that case I don't think mpv will even use it to pass it through its own forced-only option.  ET would probably need to be changed to switch to telling mpv to enable this option, and select all subtitle tracks that match the preferred language.  Then mpv can check each individual subtitle text and display it if it's forced.

Guest asrequested

That's a great find @ - I think ET's current behavior though would break this. If you use ET's Forced Only subtitle option, it will only select/enable a subtitle track if the whole track itself is marked as forced. So in that case I don't think mpv will even use it to pass it through its own forced-only option. ET would probably need to be changed to switch to telling mpv to enable this option, and select all subtitle tracks that match the preferred language. Then mpv can check each individual subtitle text and display it if it's forced.

It works perfectly for me without the track being marked. This works specifically for picture based subs. It looks at the text tags, directly. So if a specific line is marked forced, that's what it shows. I tested it several times. It worked perfectly, every time. Of course you have to manually choose which track it is, but that's easy. All I did was name it forced. No tagging required. But if you want automatic selection, yes you'll need to tag it. But ET will remember your choice for next time you play it. And it doesn't work with srt and subs like that. For those, the track has to be tagged as forced. This at least allows you to use the PGS forced subs, when you couldn't before.