Can't games to work with ET

danswan

danswan

Hi

I'm sure the answer to this will be on the forum somewhere, but I've given up looking after an hour. Sorry for the new thread if it's unnecessary.

I used to use Gamebrowser with Classic and Windows 7, and have been being pestered by the family to get it working on ET and Windows 10. I'm running 2.5.7.

I've set things up on the server the best I can remember, for the time being I'm just trying Nintendo 64 with Project64 1.6. The problem arises when I try to configure the external player bit of ET.

I browse in the path to P64, but when I try to tell ET which game system this is for, I get no options:

57aee281e3f50_blank.png

I'm pretty sure there must be something basic I'm missing, but I can't work out what. Further screenshots below:

57aee2bd50b6b_config.png

57aee2df535a0_servergb.png

57aee2f228b02_server1.png

Any advice?

*edit* Thread title should read 'Can't GET games to work.... can't seem to change that either ;)

Edited by danswan

Do you have any nintendo 64 games under there? if not, then add one. If yes, try removing it from the server library, remove any game metadata xml, then add the library back.

danswan

Thanks for replying Luke. Yes, there are lots of N64 games in that folder. There was also a gamesystem.xml file at the root of the Nintendo 64 folder which I removed, then removed the library and re-added, but it's still not showing up any game systems in ET. 

I then removed all XML files from the 'Emu Games' folder (there are lots of other files from other game systems in there, each separated into it's own folder) and tried removing and re-adding the library, but it's still the same. This is my folder structure:

57b0549d34c4d_folders.png

I've attached my server log file from after I re-add the library to Emby. It looks like we're on the right track, as I'm getting lots of lines such as:

2016-08-14 12:28:01.0536 Error App: gameFiles is 0 for \\server\games\Emu games\Nintendo 64\Banjo-Kazooie
2016-08-14 12:28:01.0536 Error App: gameFiles is 0 for \\server\games\Emu games\Nintendo 64\Blast Corps

What next?

server-63606751255.txt

danswan

Little update. 

I noticed that after the scan, no gamesystem.xml was being created in the Nintendo 64 folder. So I removed the library again, and created a new N64 folder and put just one game in it. I then added this new folder to Gamebrowser and removed the other one. 

The subsequent scan did create a gamesystem.xml file, however I still get no game systems when adding external players to ET. 

danswan

I've sorted this. As is usually the case, it was something basic I was missing. The user I was logged into ET as didn't have access to the games library  :rolleyes:

All working now :)

*edit* no it's not :(

Edited by danswan

danswan

Spoke too soon on this one, I was in a rush as away with work so didn't test at all. Now I'm back, I've checked and it picks up the gamesystem OK but I still can't get games to launch, I just get a spinning circle. I've tried adding another emulator (Dolphin for Gamecube) in case Project64 was the problem, but this one's the same. 

All seems set up right, my emulators work just fine when launched outside of ET. I've checked and double-checked the paths but when I launch, nothing happens. There's nothing in the server logs, it doesn't seem to be getting that far. Is there a way of turning on more detailed logging for ET, as there's not much in the local logs at the minute?

Edited by danswan

make sure you've configured command line arguments. your screenshot above does not show any.

danswan

Still stuck on this. It would be really helpful if I could see a log of what ET is spitting out when I click 'Play', but the ET logging is minimal. Can the log be changed to debug mode somehow?

2.5.9 is up and will give you an ugly alert if the process fails to launch. If it launches but then closes with an error, that's a different story. but this will at least tell us which one it is. 

danswan

Thanks Luke. 

I've tried in 2.5.9, which also pushed a .net 4.6.2 download to my HTPC. 

Having installed and retried, nothing is obviously different - I'm not getting any errors, ugly or otherwise, and still just a spinning circle. I can't find any evidence of any attempt to launch the emulator.

Out of interest, I also tried this on my main PC and am also getting the same behaviour.

So that means it is probably launching but closing with an error. As a test, try pointing the external player to another application, like vlc video player, or notepad or anything else.

danswan

OK, I tried using Notepad:

57ba0f93cf209_notepad.png

and when I try to launch it's still just a spinning circle. I wasn't sure what to put in for the command line arguments, so I tried leaving it blank too. Should I be expecting notepad to pop up?

I'm still of half a mind that I'm missing something fundamental with external players. I tried adding mpc-hc for all video types, but when I play it is still launching with ET, mpc-hc doesn't launch.

57ba12e4c880b_extplayers.png

Edited by danswan

When you add a new external player for video it checks the 3D filter checkbox by default, which says "only for 3d", this is probably why your external player for videos is not launching. I need to update the setup screen not to check that filter by default.

danswan

Thanks. So mpc-hc now launches as an external player, nice to see that working. I had a re-test in 2.5.11 and still nothing trying to launch an emulator (or notepad) though.

danswan

Am I the only one with this issue? I'm struggling to work out what in the world is wrong here. Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem , so as many other users ...

its seems GameBrowser issue in the last release ,

Waiting a solution from community brains :)

Regards

• 5 months later...
frankmomma

I have been having this issue for months and have gave up and come back to it multiple times.. still not solution

I need help if anyone has found anything out please!!