UWP App Out

jhoff80

jhoff80

Not sure if everyone is aware already, but I didn't see a news update or anything...

Just got an update in the store that is a brand new UWP version.  Also available on phone.

Looks great for a first version.

Though there is a typo in settings, 720p 2Mbps is there twice.

A few things missing, but I'm sure it'll continue to improve.

Edited by jhoff80
  • Like 1

icthusman1

Yeah, it would have been nice to see an announcement about this. I grabbed it as soon as I saw it was available on both my phone and tablet. Tried on my Xbox One but it's not in the store there yet :(

SilentAssassin

It's because it was developed by a third party developer, not the development team behind Emby itself.

icthusman1

It's because it was developed by a third party developer, not the development team behind Emby itself.

That's a silly reason. More people knowing about the app means (hopefully) more people buying the app. More people being happy with the app means (hopefully) more Emby premiere users. It's a cycle. The Emby team should let everyone know when a major app is released. Constant changelogs are not necessary (but should be in the apps store listing) but major releases would seem to make sense to let people know about.

7illusions

Actually, no one has refused me to do a blogpost.. I just haven't gotten around writing one yet.

• Like 4

icthusman1

Actually, no one has refused me to do a blogpost.. I just haven't gotten around writing one yet.

That makes more sense.

jds828

Thanks for the heads up.

Just tried it on my 640 but it was a no go when I tried to get the TV guide up. Just had the spinning circle then back to the main Windows screen.

I would imagine the 640 hasn't got enough grunt for the app.

7illusions

So what is needed for this to be released on the xbox store? Is it a dependency on MS?

It's a MS dependecy.. They've said they will announce it during August, so it can't be far away. :)

• Like 1

jds828

Any help if you can.

I didn't realize that the old Emby was still there. I tried the same film with the same streaming settings. On the old Emby it plays fine, on this one the video is choppy and stuttering.

I also noticed that in the new version when used in landscape, the play button disappears. I have to hold the phone upright, press play and then turn it. Could this be linked to the problem above?

The TV guide on the new version still crashes the app.

I do get the early releases of Windows on this phone and updated to the latest yesterday

Thanks for any help.

7illusions

Any help if you can.

I didn't realize that the old Emby was still there. I tried the same film with the same streaming settings. On the old Emby it plays fine, on this one the video is choppy and stuttering.

I also noticed that in the new version when used in landscape, the play button disappears. I have to hold the phone upright, press play and then turn it. Could this be linked to the problem above?

The TV guide on the new version still crashes the app.

I do get the early releases of Windows on this phone and updated to the latest yesterday

Thanks for any help.

Can you please get a serverlog. What I need is the start of playback command from both apps.. I would like to know if it's the same command being passed or not.

7illusions

Love the new app! Quick question: are you still sending a magic packet on startup?

That part hasn't changed, so most likely yes. But I would need to confirm.

jds828

Can you please get a serverlog. What I need is the start of playback command from both apps.. I would like to know if it's the same command being passed or not.

Thanks for getting back to me

Will do if you can just hand on a short time. One of my RAID arrays has had issues so just rebuilding and i'll try the same video to both versions of Emby.

sprtfan

Can you please get a serverlog. What I need is the start of playback command from both apps.. I would like to know if it's the same command being passed or

I had a question about the app working when Emby server is located on a computer running a VPN?  I have MBT installed also and it works fine but the Windows 10 app can't find the server?  If this is something that should be working I can get the log or any other info you need.  Thanks

7illusions

I had a question about the app working when Emby server is located on a computer running a VPN?  I have MBT installed also and it works fine but the Windows 10 app can't find the server?  If this is something that should be working I can get the log or any other info you need.  Thanks

There's a bug in the  current version, a new version is in final stages of beta testing that should resolve this. Should be available any day now. :)

sprtfan

There's a bug in the  current version, a new version is in final stages of beta testing that should resolve this. Should be available any day now. :)

Awesome, thanks

jds828

Logs sent.

Thanks again for looking into it.

7illusions

Logs sent.

Thanks again for looking into it.

So, the old app was transcoding, while the new app tries to directplay it.. Could be that your device can't handle the bitrate.. not sure 

In the app, click on your user icon in top right corner, then Playback Settings and under Advanced, change the Max Streaming Bitrate, which most likely is set to 1080p 60Mbps, to 1080 6Mbps.

Does this improve playback? 

icthusman1

This is great on my PC.

Do I need to re-purchase it to download on my phone?

Thanks,

CFC

No. As long as you are running Windows 10 for phones. It's a UWP app.

• Like 1

SilentAssassin

@@7illusions, Its a bit confusing on phones with Win 10 Anniversary update because when searching the store for Emby you find two apps, both with the exact same Emby logo, both titles exactly the same. If you don't look carefully for the developer you could end up downloading and paying for the wrong app.

• Like 3

7illusions

I know. Scott is looking into hiding the WP version on Win10 devices.

Also, I'm looking into logos etc, but that will take a bit longer I'm afraid.

Edited by 7illusions
  • Like 2

jds828

So, the old app was transcoding, while the new app tries to directplay it.. Could be that your device can't handle the bitrate.. not sure 

In the app, click on your user icon in top right corner, then Playback Settings and under Advanced, change the Max Streaming Bitrate, which most likely is set to 1080p 60Mbps, to 1080 6Mbps.

Does this improve playback? 

In my original test I had them both set to 6. I've not changed anything on the phone so I would imagine it's still the same. The WiFi or the specs of the 640 aren't that good so if the new Emby is trying to direct play, that would cause problems.

I'll have another look later and double check the settings are still identical and let you know what happens. Do you want more log files from it?