Cast & Crew Images Missing after defining custom path for Metadata

Michael K.
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Michael K.

My issue is that Cast & Crew images are not displaying after I defined a custom path for Metadata. The issue is only with existing media in the library. Any new piece of media I add to the library does not have this issue.

I moved the Metadata to the new custom location. I double checked that the images are present in the new location D:\Emby-Server\metadata\People

I can solve the issue by deleting the .NFO file from each piece of media and then re-add the media to the library, then the issue is fixed for that piece of media. This method is too tedious and overwhelming for the large quantity of media. I'm looking for a bulk method to fix this.

Please advise. Thanks!

P.S. I know there have been many posts related to this same topic, but I have not been able to solve my issue by reading those posts.

• Solution
Happy2Play

I can see how that is an issue with all the original paths written in the nfo.  Still holding on to the past with xml files here.

As a test does doing a Refresh of a movie resolve the issue on that movie?  If so then you can do a Refresh at library level.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Where don't they display?

Because the nfo will contain wrong path since it was changed.

example

<actor>

<name>Samuel L. Jackson</name>

<role>President William Alan Moore</role>

<type>Actor</type>

<sortorder>0</sortorder>

<thumb>C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\People\S\Samuel L. Jackson\folder.jpg</thumb>

</actor>

Because the nfo will contain wrong path since it was changed.

example

Samuel L. Jackson

President William Alan Moore

Actor

C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\People\S\Samuel L. Jackson\folder.jpg

The path in the nfo actually only matters to Kodi.

Right now this is expected behavior and I think we just need to present this information to you when you change the setting.

Because people data is stored under that path, and because we do not migrate any files when you change the path, that is why this is happening. If you want to retain files from the old path it is up to you to copy them over.

Happy2Play

I would have to find the post but you can use Notepad ++ to search all nfo files for C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata or what ever path is in yours and replace it with D:\Emby-Server\metadata.

You don't need to do that. Just copy the people back in and gradually the nfo's will get corrected to the new location.

• Like 1

Michael K.

Where don't they display?

They don't display in the browser (Firefox and Chrome) nor on Apple TV. For example, when you select a movie and you look at the movie info below where the 'Cast & Crew' are listed - each person's thumbnail photo is missing.

You don't need to do that. Just copy the people back in and gradually the nfo's will get corrected to the new location.

I copied the Metadata to the new custom location. I double checked that people and their respective images are present in the new location D:\Emby-Server\metadata\People.

As a test does doing a Refresh of a movie resolve the issue on that movie?  If so then you can do a Refresh at library level.

Yes, refreshing the movie does resolve the issue for that movie, excellent!

Now, in order to do this in bulk - I have not tried refreshing the entire library yet, because I have a question first. I have several movies whereas I've enabled the lock in the metadata -  will the metadata be overwritten, even if it's locked, if I refresh at the library level using the Metadata Manager?

Edited by Michael K.

Happy2Play

Haven't tested it recently but I have heard mixed results.  I would do another Refresh test changing the refresh mode to "search for missing metadata" and see if you get the same results.

Michael K.

... I would do another Refresh test changing the refresh mode to "search for missing metadata" and see if you get the same results.

I changed the refresh mode to "search for missing metadata" on a movie with locked metadata. The metadata was not affected by the refresh, which is good, so it kept the custom metadata that I had. This did not fix the issue with the Cast & Crew images.

It seems like having the metadata locked is safe,. I know I have locked every piece of media that I have custom Metadata, so I will go ahead and try a refresh on the library level to see what happens.

Michael K.

You will need to unlock them if you want the metadata to change. 

Understood, but for the moment I don't want the metadata to change on the locked media. The ones that are locked are locked because metadata was originally incorrectly matched, so I will do those manually later.

Is there anywhere within emby I can view the status of the metadata refresh progress?

Edited by Michael K.

Michael K.

Here are the results of the test:

When I Refresh on the library level, the Cast & Crew images are not fixed.

When I Refresh an individual media, the Cast & Crew images are fixed.

I noticed that when an individual image is fixed on one movie, that same individual is then fixed on all movies.

Edited by Michael K.

Michael K.

After looking deeper in the People folders, I can see that some of the people have folders, but the images are not necessarily present in the folders. This would explain the missing Cast & Crew images. Something must have gone wrong in the copy of the metadata when I transferred it.

The only way I have found to fix this is to refresh each media individually. If anyone finds a way to do the library in bulk let me know, thanks!

Michael K.

I noticed all the images have reappeared. I believe a refresh on the library level fixed this issue.

I think it wasn't obvious at first, because the refresh probably took a very long time to complete. I noticed that the folder size has grown about 1GB in size, so it probably took a while to download, and I did not have any way of viewing the progress of the refresh.

I will also note that the files which had locked metadata were not overwritten by the refresh; however the images were still fixed on those files as well.

Edited by Michael K.