2 versions of the same actor

onewaytrigger

onewaytrigger

While navigating through my movies (and my 'People' folder) I noticed that some actors have the names written in chinese (?) (a total 5 as I saw 'People' folder).

Without wonder why on eart that could be happening I tried to fix the names of 3 of them manually and performing a refresh but... they simply vanished from the movie cast they used to be, and no matter if I refresh those movies those actors doesnt' get back to cast...

Even more  odd, I noticed those "chinese name' actors have their proper counterpart:

579d797bd3382_2versionsofsameactor.jpg

I tried to refresh people and movies to no avail.

Maybe at the time they were first retrieved, there was bad data on the internet provider side, and now it's been corrected and your manual refreshes are pulling down the newer data. Who knows. 

onewaytrigger

The main problem is that after the refresh they vanished and I can't get the back, althought the 'correct version' still showing up should'n a movie refresh pull all cast (including the missing actor)?

Edited by onewaytrigger

it pulls whatever data is available from the metadata provider. the actors are you see are dictated by the actors that come back to us during that retrieval.

onewaytrigger

The only way that worked was re-identify the movie. While re--identifying King Kong i noticed that were 2 versions of the same movie, I choose the first and worked. Could be all that a metadata provider issue?

Edited by onewaytrigger

It's probably just that the internet metadata you got the second time around was different than what you got the first time. that could be for any number of reasons, maybe the identification process changed the ID's, or maybe the metadata just changed on the website.

the-dumb1

I think some assumptions are being made about the videos. I've seen instances where when I add a video to my library, Emby will pull metadata from the video's embedded metadata--in my case none of the videos I collect will be found in online databases.

What probably happened is that Emby pulled the metadata from ONE of the videos instead of an online source the first time it found that video. When he fixed the Chinese instance, the NFO for that file would then be respected by Emby such that future library scans wouldn't uncover that Chinese instance--but that metadata is still there because it is embedded in one of those videos.

Everyone has different use cases, but I would love it if Emby would NOT read metadata embedded in video files--at least provide that as an option.

The embedded metadata is secondary to internet metadata though, so you would only be seeing that if internet metadata could not be found.

the-dumb1

The embedded metadata is secondary to internet metadata though, so you would only be seeing that if internet metadata could not be found.

Yes, this is my point!   IF Internet metadata could not be found.

Let's assume for a moment that Internet metadata couldn't be found.  This could happen for any number of reasons, but given the presence of Chinese characters, I'll bet that the filename of the video is also spelled incorrectly and further, that Emby went to pull existing metadata from the file itself.  Or, maybe there was no connection to the Internet at the time the library scan began.  Perhaps the metadata source on the Internet was down.  Whatever the case, I believe that if you dumped the metadata of those videos which Adrien Brody plays in, you'd find his name in Chinese characters.

It'd make more sense for videos with missing metadata to be flagged/tagged instead of pulling in the embedded metadata which, depending on where the video came from, will more than likely be wrong.  Just my two pennies.

It'd make more sense for videos with missing metadata to be flagged/tagged instead of pulling in the embedded metadata which, depending on where the video came from, will more than likely be wrong.  Just my two pennies.

But then what would you say to the other users who say that it makes no sense not to use the embedded metadata?

the-dumb1

But then what would you say to the other users who say that it makes no sense not to use the embedded metadata?

In this case, I would provide an option to the end user by way of a metadata setting: always ignore embedded metadata OR if online metadata cannot be found, use embedded.  Maybe more thought would need to go into that, but the flexibility of Emby is what has made it most attractive thus far--I imagine such a setting would only make it better.

onewaytrigger

I believe that if you dumped the metadata of those videos which Adrien Brody plays in, you'd find his name in Chinese characters.

There are any traces of chinese character on embebbed metadata:

Untitled.png

I had 5 actor on this condition, with duplicated profiles, when I tried  to refresh them they simply vanished from movies they belong. I performed invididual movie refresh and refresh on all movies to no avail. So I had to open all my movies .nfo on Notepad++ and search for the chinese names, once I found a movie with chines actor I had to re-identify it. I did it for about 10 movies.

You're saying "vanished" as if this is some phenomenon that cannot possibly be explained. Yes there is an explanation - either the internet metadata has changed since the first time it was downloaded, or your Emby settings have changed which are causing the metadata to be downloaded differently.

Happy2Play

With the actor in Chinese, is there any other metadata for those movies in Chinese or just that actor in Metadata Manager?

onewaytrigger

With the actor in Chinese, is there any other metadata for those movies in Chinese or just that actor in Metadata Manager?

Just the actors, the metadata for the movies itself was fine.

Edited by onewaytrigger

Happy2Play

I've seen issues similar with Genre or Rating but not with actors.

the-dumb1

I've seen issues similar with Genre or Rating but not with actors.

I think it is dependent on the file type. Mp4 videos can contain actor metadata whereas WMV cannot. Might be wrong about WMV but it is dependent on file type.