Live TV Playback Not Working (and no error message)

ktcred

ktcred

So....my original post is below where I note I can't get Live TV to function. However, I just realized it is HD content that wont' work (or works for a few short seconds).  I can stream SD content fine through the Emby app.  When I attempt to stream HD content, I run into the issue noted below the dashed line.  I'm going on the assumption that my QNAP device and ffmeg just can't transcode fast enough.  So, my questions are now:

1. Am I making a correct assumption that I just can't transcode the stream fast enough?

2. If my assumption is correct, what I can be done to speed things up?  I can't change the CPU.  I have 8GB RAM.  I'm assuming I can't do something with a graphics card.  Doesn't the HDHomeRun do the transcoding?

------

I’m having issues getting the Live TV capability to function within my Emby environment and I can use some help.  Everything sets up OK (channels, guides, tuners, etc..), but I get a black screen when I attempt to play a channel.  I do not receive an error, just a black screen with all of the Emby controls.  Here is the detail:

My Setup

• Emby Version: 3.0.5986.0 (again, has been an issue for several versions
  • Installed on a NAS: TS-451 firmware version 4.2.1 (although this issue has been happening for several firmware versions) with 8GB RAM
  • Tuner: HDHomeRun Prime with cable card (three tuners) and all configured correctly within the Live TV -> Devices area
  • Transcoding: Following settings under Playback -> Transcoding
    • Hardware acceleration: None
    • Transcoding thread count: Auto
    • Enable Throttling: True
  • Playback attempted on both Firefox (47.0.1) and Chrome (51.0.2704.103 m) browsers

Attached you can find both the server and transcoding logs.

I tried an alternative…I run WMC on my main PC (still can’t figure out how to get it to run correctly on my QNAP), so I tried the serverWMC plugin as an alternative to the out-of-the-box Emby Live TV function.  I was able to configure everything correctly and Emby picked up my Recorded TV folder, guide data, etc..  However, I still ran into a blank screen – sans the Emby controls – when I attempted to playback Live TV.  Additionally, I couldn’t playback any recorded content (I’m guess because it is in *.wtv format, but I didn’t try to troubleshoot…one thing at a time)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I looked through the forums and couldn’t find anyone with a similar issue

**Important note: Right when I was about to post this, I tried a Live TV channel again.  The playback worked for about 1 second (first time I have seen this) and then it froze

Some other questions after we get this one solved:

• Any idea why I can't playback *.wtv content
  • Anyway to use hardware transcoding on this device

transcodinglog.txt

serverlog.txt

Edited by ktcred

And yes we do support offloading transcoding to the HD Homerun but you need a supported HDHR model for that.

As far as using hardware transcoding on the QNAP, if you check out the Emby thread in the QNAP forum, there are alternative builds available that I think will do that.

ktcred

And yes we do support offloading transcoding to the HD Homerun but you need a supported HDHR model for that.

Do you know what the supported models are?  I only see three consumer HDHR models and I have the Prime, which, appears to be the only one that can handle cable card content.

can you also attach the complete emby server log? right now the transcoding log looks fine to me so the problem is not obvious. thanks.

It's the model with the h264 transcoding. i think it's called the HDHomerun Extend.

ktcred

As far as using hardware transcoding on the QNAP, if you check out the Emby thread in the QNAP forum, there are alternative builds available that I think will do that.

I believe you are referring to leveraging the Media Streaming QNAP application through the build available here - https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=109476

I may have to give that a try and report back.

ktcred

I believe you are referring to leveraging the Media Streaming QNAP application through the build available here - https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=109476

I may have to give that a try and report back.

I tried the MediaStreaming QNAP install and I don't feel like anything is different.  The only way to get the playback to stream reliably is to dumb it down to 480p with a low kbps and even then it gets a bit sloppy

Edited by ktcred