Tuner doesn't stop streaming if using upnp

NightmareOn

NightmareOn

if i use livetv and stream it to osmc using upnp. the tuner doesnt stop the channel if i stop watchign it. which basicly means i cant watch anythign else since the tuner is in use. it only happens if i stream to a device using upnp.

5798b3720c331_8.png

if i just watch it normally in the brower it works fine. however i would love to watch it on my tv using my raspberry pi. the only way i found yet was using upnp. the only way to fix it i found is restarting the emby server.

did some more testing it also happens while using upnp as a video source on osmc. also i noticed that you dont have to restart the emby server killing the ffmpeg.exe process works aswell

Edited by NightmareOn

NightmareOn

i'm using Next Pvr. i dont think that i got an error log. since there is not real error. the only error i could force would be no tuner available. its just that emby keeps listening to the tv tuner (ffmpeg.exe keeps runnign decoding it) when i stop the stream on my raspberry pi.

thanks for your reply

I understand but we still would like to trace through the activity. Thanks.

NightmareOn

i think i didnt say that before. it only happens if i stream to a device using upnp/dlna i think. if i watch it in my browser it will stop the ffmepg.exe process as i should. if i use a modern tv using dlna it will also keep the ffmpeg.exe process even after i stopped the movie

NightmareOn

alright would be great if you could remove my log file i feel better if its not shared to the public somehow

cnc137

I ran into a very similar problem last night after upgrading to Windows 10 and switching from Windows Media Center to NextPVR for recording and watching live TV using my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 TV tuner. I used to use my Xbox 360 to watch live TV from Windows Media Center, but that option is no longer available, since Windows 10 doesn't support Windows Media Center.

I had tried Emby on my Roku in the past connected to Windows Media Center via ServerWMC, but when watching live TV it wouldn't close the stream and ended up filling up my hard drive with the recorded stream file. Because of this I switched back to using the Xbox 360 for live TV. When I upgraded to Windows 10 and switched to NextPVR I thought I would try Emby again. Once again it will allow me to watch a live TV channel on my Google Nexus Player (I didn't try my Roku this time.) and change the channel, but at some point it will tell me it cannot play the stream since it isn't available. If I look on my computer in the NextPVR's "Live TV" cache folder I can see the files getting larger and larger like it is still playing, but I cannot see the stream in Emby.

To fix the problem I have to stop NextPVR from recording everything and restart the NextPVR service. I don't know if this is a NextPVR problem or an Emby problem, but it seems odd that I would run into the same problem with Emby when using Windows Media Center and NextPVR. I looked on the NextPVR forums and didn't see anything mentioned about this problem. I also haven't noticed the problem when watching TV in NextPVR or changing channels. It is only when trying to watch live TV in Emby that the stream file keeps growing on my hard drive without being able to see the video playing on my TV via my Nexus Player.

I am using the free trial version of Emby right now and I am tempted to become an Emby Premiere member, but it is hard to pay for Emby if it isn't working as expected to fill the gap that upgrading to Windows 10 and losing Windows Media Center has created.

Edited by cnc137

I ran into a very similar problem last night after upgrading to Windows 10 and switching from Windows Media Center to NextPVR for recording and watching live TV using my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 TV tuner. I used to use my Xbox 360 to watch live TV from Windows Media Center, but that option is no longer available, since Windows 10 doesn't support Windows Media Center.

I had tried Emby on my Roku in the past connected to Windows Media Center via ServerWMC, but when watching live TV it wouldn't close the stream and ended up filling up my hard drive with the recorded stream file. Because of this I switched back to using the Xbox 360 for live TV. When I upgraded to Windows 10 and switched to NextPVR I thought I would try Emby again. Once again it will allow me to watch a live TV channel on my Google Nexus Player (I didn't try my Roku this time.) and change the channel, but at some point it will tell me it cannot play the stream since it isn't available. If I look on my computer in the NextPVR's "Live TV" cache folder I can see the files getting larger and larger like it is still playing, but I cannot see the stream in Emby.

To fix the problem I have to stop NextPVR from recording everything and restart the NextPVR service. I don't know if this is a NextPVR problem or an Emby problem, but it seems odd that I would run into the same problem with Emby when using Windows Media Center and NextPVR. I looked on the NextPVR forums and didn't see anything mentioned about this problem. I also haven't noticed the problem when watching TV in NextPVR or changing channels. It is only when trying to watch live TV in Emby that the stream file keeps growing on my hard drive without being able to see the video playing on my TV via my Nexus Player.

I am using the free trial version of Emby right now and I am tempted to become an Emby Premiere member, but it is hard to pay for Emby if it isn't working as expected to fill the gap that upgrading to Windows 10 and losing Windows Media Center has created.

Hi, welcome. This particular issue only happens with DLNA and is unrelated to your issue report. 

Hi, welcome. this issue only occurs with DLNA and is unrelated to what you're mentioning. You can find a similar but different issue for the android tv app here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37012-emby-not-releasing-tuner-after-watching-live-tv-serverwmc/

Additionally, what kind of tuner do you have? If you have a network HD Homerun then you can use Emby's native functions without next pvr for a much simpler setup.

cnc137

Thank you for the link to the other thread. That sounds like the problem I am having with my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 TV tuner ( http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html ) in my Windows 10 Pro computer using NextPVR and Emby.

I was playing around with the settings in NextPVR and disabled the two cable QAM tuners that were appearing and the IP tuner. I now only have the two ATSC tuners enabled and showing in Emby also under the NextPVR plugin. I thought it started working, but then the video started getting choppy when the bitrate was set to "Auto". I changed it to 5Mbps and it seemed to be working and allowing me to change the channel and continue watching. I thought I fixed it, but then I change the bitrate to 10Mbps and I received an error saying "Video playback error - failed to load video". After this happened I couldn't watch any live TV until I restarted NextPVR to release the streams. 

I lowered the bitrate to 5Mbps again and it seemed to work while watching one show via live TV, but I haven't time to fully test it.

Would the bitrate setting have anything to do with the stream not being able to play and staying open?

This issue is only related to DLNA and is on our list for review. Thank you for your patience.

NightmareOn

i think its fixed now is it? i just tryed it again and i didnt have to kill the process. or was it just random luck?

• 1 year later...