Help converting from WMC

shavid0610

shavid0610

Hi - I am hoping for some assistance converting from Windows Media Centre (With Emby Plug-In) to stand-alone Emby.

I am a long term WMC user with Media Browser plug-in then Emby with the update.  I don't ever use the Web Based version though.  Only the Plug-In.

We have a Video Mate E750 dual TV tuner card.

I have now just upgraded to Windows 10 as the free upgrade is coming to an end within days. 

We use the Emby Plug-in to watch all our digital content - movies, TV series etc.  Plus we use the Live TV, EPG and record program options within WMC to watch live TV, time-shift, pause live TV, schedule shows to record, and watch pre-recorded shows.

I have installed WMC onto my Windows 10 following instructions from Life Hacker but so far can't get it to work properly.  Emby Plug-In works perfectly but the live TV set-up has been problematic for now.

So, if I was to bite the bullet and abandon my beloved WMC what Emby programs/apps etc would I need to re-create a system that will work someone like what I am used to that is easy to set up and has all of the functions mentioned above?

I have signed up for Emby Premiere so I can get whatever is required, however one of the reasons I liked WMC with Emby Plug-In was the simplicity of the set-up so I need simple instructions.

Thank you in advance for any advice or assistance that you can offer.

Sharon

EDIT: I should add I am in Australia in case that limits programs/apps I am able to utilise

Edited by shavid0610

vaise

I will start by saying my setup may not be the best solution, but it is working for us.  We had WMC on one PC, with 6 XBOX360 extenders via ethernet cables to every room delivering content.  When I bit the bullet and upgraded to Win 10, it was BEFORE the hack to get WMC back on the Win10 - however that does not allow XBOX extenders still, so it would not have helped us to deliver content round the house. (The PC is in the garage in a comms rack - which I think is a main difference to your setup).

My final system was to replace WMC with NextPVR for the recording (I tried three different ones before selecting that).  I then sold off the XBoxes, and purchased Roku players for each room.  They have the Emby client (plus loads of other apps also).

I had some issues with the NextPVR emby plugin and watching recordings through that (raised to this forum) and eventually I just created a new Emby library over the content from NextPVR and do it all that way.

Since WMC days, I have lost the ability to watch recordings while they are still recording, but I feel I have gained so much more with the other apps on the Roku players.

Hope that helps.  

Spaceboy

I will start by saying my setup may not be the best solution, but it is working for us. We had WMC on one PC, with 6 XBOX360 extenders via ethernet cables to every room delivering content. When I bit the bullet and upgraded to Win 10, it was BEFORE the hack to get WMC back on the Win10 - however that does not allow XBOX extenders still, so it would not have helped us to deliver content round the house. (The PC is in the garage in a comms rack - which I think is a main difference to your setup).

My final system was to replace WMC with NextPVR for the recording (I tried three different ones before selecting that). I then sold off the XBoxes, and purchased Roku players for each room. They have the Emby client (plus loads of other apps also).

I had some issues with the NextPVR emby plugin and watching recordings through that (raised to this forum) and eventually I just created a new Emby library over the content from NextPVR and do it all that way.

Since WMC days, I have lost the ability to watch recordings while they are still recording, but I feel I have gained so much more with the other apps on the Roku players.

Hope that helps.

Same really but dvblink backend. External services such as dvblink nextpvr can have issues on android tv.

I do find the lack of full live tv functionality an issue and actually use Kodi on a Shield, with dvblink and the Emby for Kodi plugins. This gets me pretty close to the wmc experience.

Just FYI Windows 10 works with extenders I use it daily. The bad part is you have to do a clean install and have windows pro.