no direct play, so no music, movies only via http

Hopsakee
Go to solution Solved by Hopsakee,

Hopsakee

Something seems to go wrong with my direct play.

Maybe it's just that I'm not able to figure out how path susbstiturion works

or

something else.

any help is appreciated. Since I can't play any music at the moment (I could on my other machine, a raspberry pi).

And I can only play movies via http.

My path substitution is as follows.

from

/media/zwijn/Media/Movie

to

\\192.168.1.100\Deanstonzwijn\Media\Movie

I have my log attached kodi.log. In which I both try to play a movie and a music album.

Maybe it's just that I should refresh something. Either the Emby database or the Kodi database. But I can't figure out where to do that for emby. I think in the metadata manager. But than I don't know how to figure out when it's finished so I don't know when to reset my Kodi database.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Hopsakee

hoppel118

I also had this problem short time ago.

Do you use samba? If so, do the following:

• check if you built the path substitution with the ip instead of the dns-hostname in the emby server webui (dns path substitutions seem to work with windows only)
  • configure the "network credentials" under "playback" in the emby addon settings
  • configure  "playback mode = Addon(Default)" under "sync options" in the emby addon settings
  • "reset the local kodi database" under "advanced" in the emby addon settings

That worked for me. It was a way of try-and-error to get it to work. Which kind of backend- and frontend-os do you use?

Here I wrote about problems with libreelec against windows 10:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36681-emby-for-kodi-network-credentials-and-ip-path-substitution-needed-under-libreelec-to-play-mp3s/

Greetings Hoppel

Edited by hoppel118
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Are you certain the path is correct? Did you test it?

What you can also do is verify Kodi settings > add-ons > install from zip > Navigate to your content via smb, it should display the path at the top; Make sure your emby path substitution is the same.

\\192.168.1.100\Deanstonzwijn\Media\Movie

Is it possible Deanstonzwijn is your server name (ip address points to your server already)?

\\192.168.1.100\Media\Movie
Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Hopsakee

@@Angelblue05

When I navigate to my content using your proposed strategy I see

smb://DEANSTON/Deanstonzwijn

I can't go any further because the contents of this map is protected by a password. Kodi doesn't ask me for the credentials.

But, if I first go to that network map in my windows explorer, than windows does ask me for my credentials. After I give those, I can also go to the network map in Kodi. Than I see:

smb://DEANSTON/Deanstonzwijn/Media/Movie

DEANSTON is fixed to 192.168.1.100

So Deanstonzwijn is not my servername I think.

In my Ubuntu linux server I created a samba share. I did as follows:

mount external HDD on /media/zwijn/

Share the extHDD by adding the following to /etc/samba/smb.conf

[Deanstonzwijn] #folder name for client (if I understand correctly)

path = /media/zwijn

available = yes

valid users = jelle

read only = no

browsable = yes

public = no

writable = yes

Maybe I shouldn't have made the folder name for client different from the folder name on the server. So I should name them both 'zwijn'?

Anyway.

With the following setting I can get my music and movies to play.

Sync settings => use music library

Sync settings => direct stream music library

Playback setting => play from http instead of smb

But I'd like to be able to not direct stream my music library, since I'd like to use the metadata settings for music.

I think I'd like to use SMB for my movies instead of http. Although I don't know what the difference is concerning playback quality and features (can I delete movies after I watched them if I use http?)

@@hoppel118. I had already tried what you proposed. But nevertheless thanks for the reply. And it did help me, because it reminded me that I could get my music to play using 'direct play music library'. Although that's not what I want. It is a better (hopefully) temporary solution than no music at all.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok, maybe something is wrong with your passwords.xml

Can you do the following, close Kodi. Then go to the Kodi directory > userdata > passwords.xml - Delete any credentials that might be related to your server path. Then try the trick again, and see if Kodi asks you for credentials. Let me know.

Hopsakee

I closed kodi.

I removed the contents of passwords.xml in C:\Users\Jellede\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

Then restarted my computer.

Kodi still doesn't ask for my credentials if I browse to the media map using 'install from zipfile'.

But, if I try to add new credentials using the Emby addon. I can modify my credentials and Kodi (emby addon) still knows the adress of 192.168.1.100.

I think that's strange. There shouldn't be anything to modify I think.

The 'good' news is. passwords.xml didn't look healthy to my untrained eye. A lot of passwords all refering to the same location (artefact of my many tries to get it working I think.

Angelblue05

Hmm, I'm not sure what could be wrong :/ hopefully someone that is familiar with linux shares can help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

hoppel118

@@hoppel118. I had already tried what you proposed. But nevertheless thanks for the reply. And it did help me, because it reminded me that I could get my music to play using 'direct play music library'. Although that's not what I want. It is a better (hopefully) temporary solution than no music at all.

I wrote you should configure "playback mode = Addon(Default)" under "sync options" in the emby addon settings.

Kodi still doesn't ask for my credentials if I browse to the media map using 'install from zipfile'.

But, if I try to add new credentials using the Emby addon. I can modify my credentials and Kodi (emby addon) still knows the adress of 192.168.1.100.

I think that's strange. There shouldn't be anything to modify I think.

How, I wrote above, you have to configure the "network credentials" under "playback" in the emby addon settings manually. The addon doesn't ask for the network credentials by itself (what it should do in my opinion). My backend is debian and my frontend is libreelec, I also had to do this. ;)

Greetings Hoppel 

Edited by hoppel118

Hopsakee

@hoppel18

I know. Maybe I wasn't clear. I already did what you said. I even did it again because it works in your case and just to be sure. "I always mess up some mundane detail..".

But when I did what you did. I remembered how I used to get it working. That helps for now. But I'd like to get it working as you propose.

• Like 1

hoppel118

OK, now we understand us. ;)

Share the extHDD by adding the following to /etc/samba/smb.conf

[Deanstonzwijn] #folder name for client (if I understand correctly)

path = /media/zwijn

available = yes

valid users = jelle

read only = no

browsable = yes

public = no

writable = yes

by the way... My smb.conf looks as follows for the global and the share definitions:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = %h server
dns proxy = no
log level = 0
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog only = yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
obey pam restrictions = yes
unix password sync = no
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
pam password change = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
guest account = nobody
load printers = no
disable spoolss = yes
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
unix extensions = yes
wide links = no
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
map to guest = Bad User
use sendfile = yes
aio read size = 16384
aio write size = 16384
null passwords = no
local master = yes
time server = no
wins support = no
[movies]
path = /mediatank/movies/
guest ok = no
read only = no
browseable = yes
inherit acls = yes
inherit permissions = no
ea support = no
store dos attributes = no
printable = no
create mask = 0755
force create mode = 0644
directory mask = 0755
force directory mode = 0755
hide dot files = yes
valid users = "user1","user2","user3"
invalid users =
read list = "user2","user3"
write list = "user1"

Maybe you see something relevant to your configuration. I configured this per webui from the distribution "openmediavault" with debian jessie 8.5 as a basis.

Greetings Hoppel

Edited by hoppel118

Angelblue05

@@Hopsakee

Did you find a solution? The fact that Kodi can't access the share seems to indicate something is wrong in the settings of your share at that location. Keep us posted.

• Solution
Hopsakee

@@Angelblue05

I didn't find a sollution to SMB. But I did find a solution using nfs.

I got NFS working. And now I'm able to do what I want.

I really think I messed up my permissions or ownership up somewhere. The working smb.conf file from hoppel118 looks different in (I think) significant ways. But I'm not (at the moment) enough of a linux user to (make the time to) find out what I should change.

Thanks a lot for the help. Both @@Angelblue05 and @@hoppel118. Because of your posts I figured my problem probably has got something to do with my permissions or ownership. So I thought I should try NFS. Which is more straightforward with permissions.

(by the way. I find the NFS wiki (http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS) misleading. I got it working using this post: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=180387 )

Edited by Hopsakee
  • Like 1