Kodi Says Direct Play Fails - Emby Disagrees

dbowles1975
Go to solution Solved by dbowles1975,

dbowles1975

So if I disable play from HTTP and then start a movie I get an error that Kodi was unable to direct play the file. But if I look at the dashboard in the server it says that it's direct playing. I've read every thread I could find about direct play issues with Kodi and I have everything set up correctly as best as I can tell. Any idea what's going on? 

Angelblue05

If @@Luke can confirm the following, it would be great.

I think Emby stopped reporting direct stream and is now reporting it as direct play. They are essentially the same thing, the file is unmodified when played. It's just the way the file is accessed that changes.

Edited by Angelblue05

hoppel118

I also had this problem short time ago.

Do you use samba? If so, do the following:

• check if you built the path substitution with the ip instead of the dns-hostname in the emby server webui (dns path substitutions seem to work with windows only)
  • configure the "network credentials" under "playback" in the emby addon settings
  • configure  "playback mode = Addon(Default)" under "sync options" in the emby addon settings
  • "reset the local kodi database" under "advanced" in the emby addon settings

That worked for me. It was a way of try-and-error to get it to work. Which kind of backend- and frontend-os do you use?

Here I wrote about problems with libreelec against windows 10:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36681-emby-for-kodi-network-credentials-and-ip-path-substitution-needed-under-libreelec-to-play-mp3s/

Greetings Hoppel

Edited by hoppel118

dbowles1975

I also had this problem short time ago.

Do you use samba? If so, do the following:

• check if you built the path substitution with the ip instead of the dns-hostname in the emby server webui (dns path substitutions seem to work with windows only)
  • configure the "network credentials" under "playback" in the emby addon settings
  • configure  "playback mode = Addon(Default)" under "sync options" in the emby addon settings
  • "reset the local kodi database" under "advanced" in the emby addon settings

That worked for me. It was a way of try-and-error to get it to work. Which kind of backend- and frontend-os do you use?

Here I wrote about problems with libreelec against windows 10:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36681-emby-for-kodi-network-credentials-and-ip-path-substitution-needed-under-libreelec-to-play-mp3s/

Greetings Hoppel

Server runs on WIndows 10 and client runs on Android TV.

All of my media is on several 5TB drives pooled using Stable Bit. Right now in Emby I have my libraries added as UNC paths using host name. I'm not using path substitutions. I was under the impression I didn't need to if I used UNC paths. 

Prior to this I had my libraries pointing at the folders via mapped drive with UNC path substitutions set up using host name. That gave me the same error. 

I think I will try using IP instead of host name just for the hell of it. If that doesn't work I'll let it fail three times and forget about it. 

xnappo

Yeah, try the IP address instead.  I also had a hell of a time getting my sharing working on Win10 due to password issues.  I never did get it working via sharing my 'Microsoft' account login for my server - I have to use a local account...

• Like 1

hoppel118

Perform all the 4 points I described above. Path substitution alone didn't work for me.

Is your android able to resolve hostnames? Try a ping to the hostname of your server. What is the displayed message?

• Like 1

• Solution
dbowles1975

Yeah, try the IP address instead.  I also had a hell of a time getting my sharing working on Win10 due to password issues.  I never did get it working via sharing my 'Microsoft' account login for my server - I have to use a local account...

The IP addresses fixed it. It appears to have something to do with passwords as you mentioned because adding the media folders as sources using host names caused Kodi to prompt me for credentials. Adding them as sources using IP addresses did not. 

• Like 2

dbowles1975

Perform all the 4 points I described above. Path substitution alone didn't work for me.

Is your android able to resolve hostnames? Try a ping to the hostname of your server. What is the displayed message?

Thanks for the help.

hoppel118

The IP addresses fixed it. It appears to have something to do with passwords as you mentioned because adding the media folders as sources using host names caused Kodi to prompt me for credentials. Adding them as sources using IP addresses did not. 

Nice, that you got it to work. The question why the initial emby assistant doesn't prompt to specify the "network credentials" remains. This costs a lot of time, if you don't know that network credentials are essential.

It would be nice if the initial emby assistant asks for the "network credentials" if the "primary server address" is an ip address instead of a hostname in a future version of the emby addon. @@xnappo Is that possible?

Greetings Hoppel

Edited by hoppel118

dbowles1975

Nice, that you got it to work. The question why the initial emby assistant doesn't prompt to specify the "network credentials" remains. This costs a lot of time, if you don't know that network credentials are essential.

It would be nice if the initial emby assistant asks for the "network credentials" if the "primary server address" is an ip address instead of a hostname in a future version of the emby addon. @@xnappo Is that possible?

Greetings Hoppel

The network credentials don't appear to be essential as long as you use UNC paths with IP address when adding your media to the server. 

hoppel118

The network credentials don't appear to be essential as long as you use UNC paths with IP address when adding your media to the server. 

OK, this may be correct for your windows environment. Did you setup a homegroup? Maybe this is the reason for not needing network credentials?

I have to use path substitutions, because unc paths didn't work with my zfs pool. For my environment I need to configure the following manually to get it to work:

• path substitution - must be configured with ip addresses and not hostnames
  • primary server address - must be an ip address and not a hostname
  • network credentials - must be configured

Greetings Hoppel 

Edited by hoppel118

dbowles1975

OK, this may be correct for your windows environment. Did you setup a homegroup? Maybe this is the reason for not needing network credentials?

I have to use path substitutions, because unc paths didn't work with my zfs pool. For my environment I need to configure the following manually to get it to work:

• path substitution - must be configured with ip addresses and not hostnames
  • primary server address - must be an ip address and not a hostname
  • network credentials - must be configured

Greetings Hoppel 

No homegroup.