Metadata Manager - Missing Fields in 3.0.6000

MarcusJ

MarcusJ

Hi. 

I'm running Emby on a Windows 10 system, and I have 2 issues, both related to 3.0.6000, I think.  I say this because I started seeing these issues only after the recent upgrade.

Issue #1:  My system auto updated to 3.0.6000, and since then the Metadata Manager looks completely different. Most of the fields are now missing.  For example, there are no longer fields for "Short Overview", "Genre", "People", "Studios", "Plot Keywords", and most everything else??? They are just not there, at all.

I have re-started the server, and have even re-booted the system (computer), but still, there are missing fields in the Metadata Manager. 

Attached is a screen shot of the Metadata Manager with the missing fields.

Issue #2: Since the upgrade, I have seen a huge resource increase (CPU Utilization), and it appears to be caused by a ffmpeg.exe process. I have read the other posts about this, and checked the "Transcoding Thread Count to confirm it was set to "Auto", and it was, and has been since my first Emby install. This ffmpeg process has never been an issue prior to the 3.0.6000 upgrade.

As always, thanks for your help!

post-124799-0-38446000-1469386959_thumb.jpg

Edited by MarcusJ

Hi, just to avoid mis-information from spreading, there is nothing associated with the server release and increased cpu usage from ffmpeg. The best way to determine the reason is to recreate the issue, then see how to report a problem.

We'll look into the metadata manager. thanks.

MarcusJ

I may have a third issue, but I am guessing it is related to issue #2 above.  I am, for the first time, noticing buffering delays on movies that are being served up from my local NAS. Again, I have never seen this before the upgrade to 3.0.6000.

• 4 weeks later...
jump007

Sorry for my ignorance and it may not be the right thread, but I cannot even find the Metadata Manager.

Seeing that there seems to be a Metadata Manager in Emby gives me hope. Where is it or how can I access it????

Thanks

I am using Emby version 3.0.302.0 with WMC on Windows7. I have several problems between Media Center Master (v2.14): losing Information such as description and people (now Emby is not using anymore .xml metadata (which I manually edit because many of the German movies are not in IMDB). This was all much easier with the old Media Browser Classic...

Sorry for my ignorance and it may not be the right thread, but I cannot even find the Metadata Manager.

Seeing that there seems to be a Metadata Manager in Emby gives me hope. Where is it or how can I access it????

Thanks

I am using Emby version 3.0.302.0 with WMC on Windows7. I have several problems between Media Center Master (v2.14): losing Information such as description and people (now Emby is not using anymore .xml metadata (which I manually edit because many of the German movies are not in IMDB). This was all much easier with the old Media Browser Classic...

Hi there, welcome. It's in the main menu of the Emby Server web interface. If everything is on one machine, just locate the tray icon near the clock, right click -> configure emby server. Since you're here and using Emby for WMC, you might enjoy checking out Emby Theater for Windows:

http://emby.media/emby-theater.html

jump007

Thanks for your quick help..

I still have not resolved the problem that Emby does not read the Movie description which I entered using MCM. MCM is generating an xml file and an NFO file (nfo does not contain the description when generated by MCM). My guess is that Emby keeps updating the newly edited movies and overwrites my description in xml.

I am still using MCM, because there is a search function and I can enter the IMDB number (I have many old movies and German TV movies that are not in any movie data bases).

In Emby I have disabled change description and name. And will test what happens.

In Metadata Services I have moved up Emby Xml to read first, but there is no option to write into xml files (only Nfo). Should I just un-tick this and Emby writes into the xml file?

Thanks

MCM is generating an xml file and an NFO file (nfo does not contain the description when generated by MCM). My guess is that Emby keeps updating the newly edited movies and overwrites my description in xml.

This makes perfect sense then because nfo gets first priority over xml. So if the nfo is there, it gets used, not the xml, and you're saying the nfo does not have the description.

I am still using MCM, because there is a search function and I can enter the IMDB number (I have many old movies and German TV movies that are not in any movie data bases).

We have this too. In the metadata manager click the dot menu in the upper right -> Identify. it allows you to look up movie by name or ID and then you can replace all of the metadata in one shot.

In Metadata Services I have moved up Emby Xml to read first, but there is no option to write into xml files (only Nfo). Should I just un-tick this and Emby writes into the xml file?

So if you've changed the priority, now xml gets top priority, but this only affects new titles that are scanned going forward. It is not going to rescan all previous titles.

I don't expect you to follow this advice if you're feeling loyalty to MCM, but I would suggest returning Emby to default settings and trying it all by itself with out MCM.

jump007

Thanks for the advise. It is not about loyalty, but functionality. Since I changed from Media Browser to Emby, I have these problems.

I would be happy to use Emby to make manual changes.

I tried this just now , but cannot find the dot menu on the upper right in the Metadata Manager. There are only 4 icons (Display, search, Profile and Cock wheel back to dashboard).

jump007

I just don't have these options. Only: Add to playlist, Edit images, Refresh and Shuffle.

I am missing Add to collection, Edit Subtitles, Download and Identify. Is this a different version?

I just don't have these options. Only: Add to playlist, Edit images, Refresh and Shuffle.

I am missing Add to collection, Edit Subtitles, Download and Identify. Is this a different version?

Different options are available depending on what kind of media you're using it with. Is this a movie, episode, home video, or what is it? thanks.

Right because on the left hand side you've selected your movies top level folder. you first need to use the arrows on the left hand side to drill down lower and select movie or tv show.

jump007

Great, thanks, I found it. It only comes up at a single movie/video level, not a group (in my case).

One comment; why is it not using existing information as defaults? All fields are empty and I have to re-enter the name year also they are there. If it does not find anything, I would make changes.

In general, I can see now much more what I can do with Emby's Metadata Manager.

I am just somewhat disappointed that Emby did not keep existing field by default (rather then one has to de-select the fields to be kept). A better option would be to "add data ONLY if field is empty fields". As it is now, I have to enter them all manually to protect those I have edited manually). Not knowing this, Emby has replaced description more than thousand videos with nothing or text such as "no overview found" (I had edited these manually by investing many hours). I had backups, but I did not anticipate that this happened. Hence the backup is already overwritten... and I have to redo them all over again.

Cheers

We do keep existing fields by default. That is our default behavior because that is what the vast majority of people want. 

The information the server reads depends on what is inside your nfo or xml (whichever has higher priority, nfo by default). at the time it was first scanned. In other words, you said you had nfo's without overview and probably at the time the server first scanned the content this is what it read.

I think honestly you are overcomplicating things by using both nfo and xml, and Emby with MCM. Now you've got all these variables at play and things are hard to predict. My suggestion would be to return the server back to default settings and just let Emby manage your nfo's.

jump007

Hi Luke,

I appreciate your help and I am impressed by the quick responds.

I should have tested more and asked more questions before upgrading from Media Browser to Emby (I though it was build on a similar structure).

You are right about the "overcomplicating things", but please understand, I am just in the process to learn how Emby is handling this (since I was used to MCM and MB, without realising that Emby does most of what MCM does). Hence, I was puzzled why field suddenly where overwritten with undesired text.

I will change back to nfo.

But. here is my dilemma.  Emby can only manage properly nfo's of my English Movies. It cannot find the titles and content of many of my movies  because they are old, in German and not in the major movie data bases. Whenever Emby found something (e.g. on IMDB) it overwrote the contents (mostly with rubbish it found there).

Also: I selected English / Australia, because I prefer the movies in original language; resulting in: all German movies it found are being changed to English Descriptions....(mostly "No overview found")....... Bummer.

One more question: how do I have do arrange the settings in order to achieve the following behaviour for new movies/videos?

E.g. assumptions are:

Setting is: Name and Overview is unchecked (locked to prevent it's data from being changed).

Name: I would assume it takes initially the name from the file name (and even ii it find the movie at IMDB it does not overwrite the name). This actually happened to many of my German movies. It found the German movie and changed the name to English).

Overview: I would assume it takes the text from the initial findings and then does not update any changes at the next search (since it is filled with data).

Again, thank you for your help. It is really appreciated.

We don't have a way of pre-locking the fields so my suggestion would just be to correct them after it's imported. 

Alternatively you could lock all metadata for a parent folder and then it won't use internet metadata at all.

jump007

Hi Luke,

Thanks for that.

If I understood you correctly, after Emby filled the fields (on first time search) it will no longer update the fields.

Does it fill empty fields (missing data) on subsequent scans?

Cheers

On a library scan? No, the regular library scan is only looking for new content and changes to existing content. So for example if the video file changed, or if the metadata file changed. If nothing is changing then everything will remain as it is.