Music Improvements

Luke

chef

Is it possible to show a music video in place of a song title if it is available in the Libraray?

Just wondering. Maybe an option to play the video in place of the audio track.

• Like 1

Disorganise

To be honest, I haven't really played music since upgrading from win 7 wmc with emby classic to win 10 ET earlier this year.

One thing I did notice was that all the albums and artists seemed to be pictures. Whilst that's cool once you're playing, finding something to play is a pain. If it changed already...ignore me, but I miss the text list of wmc.

I reckon there should be a simple toggle switch between pretty and text.

Some way to select multiple genres to play from would be good.

When choosing items to add to playlist (be it from artist list, album list, genres etc) it should be easy to add the entire item (eg artist), or drill down one layer to 'tick' individual albums/tracks/artists, and drill down again if applicable to select tracks. I then "back" out to the upper layer to choose another artist/album/genre. Meanwhile the current track playing is boxed somewhere so its a remote click away to selecting to full screen.

The now playing screen I think should default to basic info, with detailed info about the artist/album a button away. If in the detailed info screen when the track changes to another artist, pop a cancel countdown button of say 10 secs. If I'm still reading the previous artist I will hit the cancel....and it goes away for say a minute before popping again. If I don't cancel, then update the detailed info to the currently playing artist.

For screensaver.....my preference would be to choose between artist/album pics and my own picture library. The way I used wmc was to set up a playlist and then go and play a slideshow of the picture library or subfolder. It's a nice way to have holiday snaps run in the background with music and generate discussion points/memories. I miss that.

• Like 1

JDizzy

For screensaver.....my preference would be to choose between artist/album pics and my own picture library. The way I used wmc was to set up a playlist and then go and play a slideshow of the picture library or subfolder. It's a nice way to have holiday snaps run in the background with music and generate discussion points/memories. I miss that.

I have also used various screensavers at holidays to run a slideshow from a folder with music playing.

Another thought would be if we could play a movie or folder of movies (without sound) as screensaver with a music playlist?

(when screensaver kicks in, the movies take over screen and music playlist continues to play.) If an overlay with basic music info could popup when songs change that would be all the better.

ginjaninja

suggestion for (now playing) navigation

a general theme, but like anywhere, including 'now playing' jumping to a tracks artist / album would be useful....

"get anywhere related from anywhere"...might be a general design principle...that might go for other metadata. ui and ui space allowing...jump to genre, year...composer, tracks of the same name (with a heuristic search) to find covers....

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

artists images may not such a pure representation of genre as album images; when considering auto generated genre images.

But i look at the sea of autogenreated genre images (from album covers) in ET currently....with no names...and they are meaningless to me..or at least not easily differentable...

Four artist images in an auto generated genre image, might be more recognisable than four album covers for some users...

"select top four from Count  number of Albums of genre x by each artist" would ensure that just because an artist went off piste for one of their albums...is highly unlikely to muddy the picture..

that logic is an quick and easy database lookup to identify the 4 most significant artists for a genre...

logic to identify significant album images for a genre is a bit more complex...might be based on

Liked albums in genre take priority

Most played albums of genre next

Most recently added (or produced) albums of genre

and after doing all that..i would suggest is still less significant and recognisable than four artist images..

might be worth a try to see if artist image in auto generated genre images are more recognisable and or adding genre text to ui as overlay or show up text quicker on selection and on mouse hover..

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Let's improve the music experience, so please offer your suggestions. Specially the things I'm looking at changing are:

- music now playing screen (including the playlist - should we just merge them onto one screen?)

- Screensaver during music playback

- what happens after starting music playback - should we just bring you to the now playing screen?

my thinking

now playing is a visualisation, (it functions like a screen saver) and to a lesser extent information giver (current track title/artist...next/previous track info?..and perhaps the ability to bring up simple controls to skip forward / back / hide the info)....maybe making use of an option to substitute music videos in for track content when they exist in the library otherwise showing artist and album image metadata or photo libraries...maybe overlaying lyrics?....ultimately its for looking at.

the playlist editor is related to now playing and reachable from each other, but it about easily manipulating the now playing track listing..adding more content, removing content, moving content, saving playlists, import and load playlists....ultimately its more about controlling and interacting. (very important to be able to jump to related content from the playlist esp. artist)

because they serve different competing functions ...looking pretty and 'doing'...i dont think they should on same ui.

what happens after starting music playback - should we just bring you to the now playing screen?

i dont think so, as the most likely next action is to be adding new content to the playlist.

ie stay on current screen and wait for user input....

'now playing' ('screensaver') can kick in after x seconds of non interaction in any case from any screen (if audio is playing and no video)

the default action when clicking on new music content or music videos should be to add to queue and not overwrite the queue

it is very useful to have the quick option to add next or add to end of the the now playing queue or overwrite current queue, when clicking on content in library.

sakiwi78

For the Music Screensaver I quite like the Windows Media Center one, which had scrolling album covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disorganise

my thinking

now playing is a visualisation, (it functions like a screen saver) and to a lesser extent information giver (current track title/artist...next/previous track info?..and perhaps the ability to bring up simple controls to skip forward / back / hide the info)..

I liked this idea initially....then realised I don't. I want to play music in the background whilst a slideshow of my photos plays. Sure, it would be nice to have the track info display at the start and end (ala MTV) but I wouldn't want "now playing" to be front and centre.

ginjaninja

I liked this idea initially....then realised I don't. I want to play music in the background whilst a slideshow of my photos plays. Sure, it would be nice to have the track info display at the start and end (ala MTV) but I wouldn't want "now playing" to be front and centre.

perhaps we are in agreement..its just that you want the visualisation to be primarily photos to look at...and i might want the visualisation to be artist / album image metadata to look at ..possibly lyrics...possibly track display ala mtv......i think we are describing different skins to what is a visualisation....something to look at rather than interact with...

I noticed before, when I clicked into what was playing and then clicked again on the album cover, it used to show me what format the song was i.e. flac or mp3. This doesn't happen anymore, I don't know what format is playing now. I've got both in my library separately under flac and mp3. When I search under artists for instance in my flac folder, all of the artist's albums appear whether they are flac or mp3. Is there any way they can be kept as a separate entity and not mix the formats together? Hope this isn't confusing.

TomTiddler

Only recently started using Emby to play music. I would like to be able to have a "play next" feature when browsing music, which should effectively "cue up" the selection into the now playing list/queue. I thought that maybe that's what "queue" did, but it doesn't seem to work that way (in fact I'm not sure what queue does :-)). My model, which is probably wrong, imagines Now Playing as a list/queue of content, with "Queue" adding to the end. In this model, "Add next" would insert the selection immediately after the current song. Hope some of that makes sense.

Secondly, I'd like the screensaver to only show artwork from music, as opposed to right now, where it shows artwork from all media. Again, maybe I've missed a setting somewhere that already restricts the screensaver to music.

TomTiddler

So, just been playing around with the music interface, and it becomes obvious that I have no idea a)What "Queue" does, or B) What it's intended to do. Can someone explain, or point me to an explanation?

Also, it seems to me that I think of "Now Playing" as a special kind of Playlist. If it was in fact considered as such, then it would be nice to 1) have a shuffle capability which would re-order the Now Playing list in random order, and point the "next song" to be the new top of the list, and 2) have the ability to "Save" the Now playing list as a new playlist. Thoughts?

Also, it seems to me that I think of "Now Playing" as a special kind of Playlist. If it was in fact considered as such, then it would be nice to 1) have a shuffle capability which would re-order the Now Playing list in random order, and point the "next

song" to be the new top of the list, and 2) have the ability to "Save" the Now playing list as a new playlist. Thoughts?

Yes, I think those are good suggestions.  That is how it works now in the Android TV app.

• Like 1

porkbone

When I had Windows 7, I could adjust the sound with the built in EQ for WMP. After upgrading to Win10, I have flat lifeless music in Emby Theater. Any possibility to add an EQ or is there a way to do this now?

cshaun

autor @im85288  rotating oval cd-art =brilliant idea

add

+description artist

+album description

+a description of the song

Not a rotating CD. Please no! Way too tacky.

If we do a rotating CD, we'll spend forever debating if it should rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise.

• Like 3

JDizzy

When might we see some of these changes creep into the UI?

I would be happy to just have it just the way it is now, but info moved to lower left and made smaller as to not cover the background.

I like the rotating backgrounds as they are now and if movement was added (burns effect) all the better.

If more was added it would be nice to toggle off/on all options if possible (ie:lyrics, descriptions, etc)...  push the up button to bring up the menu and set your options  from there.

Sometimes less is more in my opinion.

Edited by JDizzy

cshaun

Another major thing I'd like, is for the sound to follow the speaker arrangement we choose in the settings. I have mine set to 7.1, but music is played in stereo. I'd like it played through all speakers.

That would need to be a separate option. Music is generally stereo should is generally played that way. Up mixing shouldn't be a default option.

cshaun

If we do a rotating CD, we'll spend forever debating if it should rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise.

What do CD's look like? I haven't seen one in many many years. We should rather have a spinning record with a simulated needle. Vinyl baby! (JKs)

And yes to all three of your OP questions Luke. Except if adding to playlist for the last one.

(Isn't it simpler using a hold down enter to get context menu in the GUI rather than lots of clutter on screen? For less used controls anyway.)

cshaun

I really like the existing playback on Kodi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKaIuAY6qM

Wow i can reaffirm the turning CD is ugly... CD irrelevant now, and will only be more so in 5-10 years.

I think lyrics would need to be optional. The visualizations I think is quite dated too (makes me think of music players from 20 years ago). The other suggestions with cover art, similar to Zune's is far more modern, and just looks better.

Some of the additional file format display is interesting, though I think for many that just have flac etc probably irrelevant i.e. all the same for 99% of their content. And does it really matter anyway (do you need to see it every time when playing your music?).

• Like 1

cshaun

It's pretty obvious isn't it? Coriolis... Clockwise direction in the Northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the Southern. :-D

Though the discs actually do spin clockwise in a reader.

"Clockwise (right), when observing from the back side (the side not being read) of the CD." - answers.com