CoverArt 4.0.13.0 - Codec Identification

pgriffith

pgriffith

While I have been using Coverart for as long as it's been around, I've only had it do television, which works well.

I've still been using the old discontinued program StarkCovers to process my movies. It accurately identifies and creates folder art with DIVX, XVID, MP4, H264  tags etc etc

I thought I'd try Coverart for my movies as well but I can't get it to do what Starkcovers can.

I've unchecked the 'Use container instead of codec' check box and I've also setup specific covers for all the common codecs.

Those being MKV, H264, XVID, MP4, DIVX, MOV, MPEG & AVI

I'm having an issue where is not getting the covers right, for example

Movie1

From the media info section for that movie, It has the codec as MPEG4 and the Codec Tag as XVID, but has a MPEG cover

Movie2

Codec of MPEG4 and a codec tag of DX50 (which is DIVX), it gets a DVD cover

I have lots of H264 movies, some get DVD covers, some get H264 covers, and a few get Blu Ray Disc covers

Not one single DIVX or XVID movie gets the right folder.

I also have some HEVC content (H265), there is no allowance for this at all in the plug in and it gets a generic Matroska cover.

Codec tags of MP4V gets a DVD cover as well.

Am I doing something wrong? I'd like to keep using it over starkcovers as it removes the manual process completely, but it just seems all over the place with it's identification.

I've only removed the starkcovers generated files from one section of my library, so I have lots that have double treatments applied which makes it very easy to see what coverart is getting wrong (example pic attached). As you can see starks knows it DIVX, coverart doesn't.

Cheers

post-408-0-32503900-1469255196_thumb.png

In the metadata editor check the value for "Treat Image As". If that's been filled in then it overrides the auto-detected media info. Then, check the media info at the bottom of the web client detail screen, because those are the characteristics that it uses.

pgriffith

Ok

That had Treat Image As DVD, I've cleared that and restarted the server. New cover art attached and screenshot of media info.

It's now MPEG, still not DIVX.

I checked a few other movies and some have the Treat Image As field populated and some don't.

Where is this field populated from, I've never manually changed one.

Also how can I clear this field from over 3200 movies ?

I imagine I'd only want this set to DVD is I had DVD ISO's or ripped DVD VOB content in my library.

Cheers  (thanks for super fast reply as well)   :)

post-408-0-07419700-1469256027_thumb.png

post-408-0-89659100-1469256064_thumb.png

CoverArt does not read Codec Tag only the actual Codec. 

You probably have very old metadata and, if you used something like MetaBrowser or maybe even MB 2 it may have been filling in the treat image as field.  In older programs that may have been called "Type" or "DisplayType".

pgriffith

Some of the movies would be from the days of Metabrowser and MB2. Is there any way to clear the field without doing it manually 3200 times. (which ain't gonna happen)

Wouldn't it be more correct to read the Codec Tag, how is a movie ever going to be flagged as DIVX or XVID is it's not going to read that tag?

It basically makes having that feature in the plug in useless as it will never get used.

Is it possible to add the option to read that tag instead? I'd really like to ditch starkcovers for good, but this plugin, as good as it is, just can't do what it proclaims to. When you tell it to use a specific cover for a file type in it's settings, it's not going to be able to do it for the vast majority of them.

Happy to be a guinea pig for testing if needed.

Cheers

Edit.. Looking at a selection of movies, obviously all have the codec, but a lot don't have the codec tag as well, mainly H264 & H265 movies. So I think the logic would need to use the contents of codec tag if it exists, otherwise use codec to determine the actual content type.

Edited by pgriffith

Happy2Play

Something similar to this with a little tweaking.

Codec tag is actually rather new a few stable releases ago (looks like 3.0.5879).

Edited by Happy2Play

Some of the movies would be from the days of Metabrowser and MB2. Is there any way to clear the field without doing it manually 3200 times. (which ain't gonna happen)

Wouldn't it be more correct to read the Codec Tag, how is a movie ever going to be flagged as DIVX or XVID is it's not going to read that tag?

It basically makes having that feature in the plug in useless as it will never get used.

Is it possible to add the option to read that tag instead? I'd really like to ditch starkcovers for good, but this plugin, as good as it is, just can't do what it proclaims to. When you tell it to use a specific cover for a file type in it's settings, it's not going to be able to do it for the vast majority of them.

Happy to be a guinea pig for testing if needed.

Cheers

Edit.. Looking at a selection of movies, obviously all have the codec, but a lot don't have the codec tag as well, mainly H264 & H265 movies. So I think the logic would need to use the contents of codec tag if it exists, otherwise use codec to determine the actual content type.

For the most part, when it comes to playback all we really care about is that it's the Mpeg codec. The fact that it came from Divx doesn't really mean anything. It's only the occasional user who wants to see Divx displayed that it becomes needed for.

pgriffith

Something similar to this with a little tweaking.

Codec tag is actually rather new a few stable releases ago (looks like 3.0.5879).

Thanks Happy, that worked a charm. Gave NP++ a workout though, opening 3200 files, took quite awhile, but it managed it.

• Like 1

pgriffith

For the most part, when it comes to playback all we really care about is that it's the Mpeg codec. The fact that it came from Divx doesn't really mean anything. It's only the occasional user who wants to see Divx displayed that it becomes needed for.

Count me in as that user. My concern is more the fact that plugin which is one of the main reasons I became a premium supporter to access, can't do what it says it will do.

The attached screenshot shows what I want the plugin to make my media to look like but it just can't be done.

I really hope this is considered as a future option, and also adding H265 detection as well. The reason I have/had starkcovers tagging everything with actual codecs is so I know what is and isn't compatible with things like older televisions/media players that can play media straight off a USB key. Some can't do H264, and very little can do H265.

Makes it easy to give my grandparents a USB key with some movies that I know will play on their device, and I know what I have to re-encode if they want something specific. (such a good grandson  :) )

I think the plugin is great with the overlays it does for all my TV content and the indicator overlays for movies, I just want all its features to work.

Cheers

post-408-0-06856100-1469374861_thumb.jpg

There is no reason to setup all of those mappings since they all point to themselves they aren't having any effect.

• 3 weeks later...
freaksed

I have the same problem not seeing h265, it just puts mkv. fyi my metadata is super fresh, I moved to a new computer so all the metadata was just created, the only plugins are this, auto box sets, and trakt