Dolby D 5.1 no longer passes through on latest update1.2.22g

dnastro

dnastro

Never had a problem before with passthrough of DD surround audio on my Bravia Android TV, however in the latest update the only way to get the 5.1 to passthrough to my speakers (via optical) is by changing to a different audio track, then back to the original, if the video doesn't have another audio track I am stuck without 5.1.  It used to be fine until this latest update.  Has anyone else been having this problem?

mini__me

I can test later on my Sony Android TV, I'm not using optical however so I guess there may be different results!

dnastro

I assume it is a glitch in the latest emby update that will hopefully rectified in a future update.  Not sure if it's Emby or how the latest update is behaving with the Andriod OS 5.1.1 I'm running on my 850c.  Passthrough of DD has never worked on certain apps like Plex and Amazon.   Kodi seems to be fine, but unfortunately the Emby plugin can't locate my NAS for some reason :/ 

Never had a problem before with passthrough of DD surround audio on my Bravia Android TV, however in the latest update the only way to get the 5.1 to passthrough to my speakers (via optical) is by changing to a different audio track, then back to the original, if the video doesn't have another audio track I am stuck without 5.1.  It used to be fine until this latest update.  Has anyone else been having this problem?

Can you reproduce this exact scenario (play something and no DD, then switch tracks and back and starts working) and then send me a log from the device?  Then come here and tell me what you played and the emby user that was logged in.  Thanks.

dnastro

I'm out of town but will definitely do this when I get back Sunday.  Wouldn't be the downmix option selected, i went through everything to see if something would get it right.

I uploaded a log shortly after 3PM, the username was Dan and the movie was Deadpool.

I cannot find that log.  Did you do exactly as above and then immediately send it?

dnastro

Hm, I have to exit or logout of the app to get back to the send logs screen...maybe thats why?  I just did it again, the movie this time was The Dark Knight, user login was Dan (but my account name is Dnastro if that helps).

CBers

Hm, I have to exit or logout of the app to get back to the send logs screen...maybe thats why? I just did it again, the movie this time was The Dark Knight, user login was Dan (but my account name is Dnastro if that helps).

If you go into the App Settings (bottom row) and back out, you should see the Send Logs next to the Logout option.

Can you please show me the media info from the web client for The Dark Knight?

mini__me

Sorry it's taken a while to look at this, I have a similar behaviour on my Sony Bravia but using HDMI ARC with bitstream enabled.

If I try and play a film with Dolby TrueHD set as default it will fail to play completely, if I swap to another audio track it will start playback.

I think it's the server (ffprobe I assume) not identifying Audio as Dolby TrueHD and therefore trying to direct play on the Sony and failing.

Dolby Digital is passed through.

DTS-HD MA is identified and transcoded to AC3.

DTS I believe is direct playing and being copied to PCM by the builtin player, well that's what appears to pop up on my receiver anyway.

Image shows a movie with a Dolby TrueHD track as default.

post-1248-0-05410000-1469015382_thumb.jpg

Sorry it's taken a while to look at this, I have a similar behaviour on my Sony Bravia but using HDMI ARC with bitstream enabled.

If I try and play a film with Dolby TrueHD set as default it will fail to play completely, if I swap to another audio track it will start playback.

I think it's the server (ffprobe I assume) not identifying Audio as Dolby TrueHD and therefore trying to direct play on the Sony and failing.

Dolby Digital is passed through.

DTS-HD MA is identified and transcoded to AC3.

DTS I believe is direct playing and being copied to PCM by the builtin player, well that's what appears to pop up on my receiver anyway.

Image shows a movie with a Dolby TrueHD track as default.

I believe this is a completely different issue than the one discussed here and, as you surmized, is related to the fact that we have no idea that is a TrueHD track (if, indeed, it is).

mini__me

I believe this is a completely different issue than the one discussed here and, as you surmized, is related to the fact that we have no idea that is a TrueHD track (if, indeed, it is).

Should I create a seperate topic in the server area?

ffprobe should be able to tell it's truehd assuming I'm reading the link below correctly that infers that it could tell it was a truehd track beforehand and with that fixed it should be able to identify an Atmos track.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3960

nuahsocramid

Wondering if you can assist me with how you got your issue resolved. 

I'm running a Nexus Player that I have both the Kodi & Emby app running on it. When playing a movie that only has 1 audio track on it, which is an AC3 format,through Kodi, my Sonos playbar shows that the format being played is Dolby Digital. Yet when I play that same file in Emby, it plays as a Stereo file. When I looked at my Emby dashboard, the file shows its direct playing. 

Reading through your issue, signing up for the beta app, I wonder if you can tell me what version of the app you now have....or how one can confirm that the recent update I've done...is indeed the beta/fixed app? The version I show is 1.2.26g. 

If I'm on the right app version, would you mind stepping me through the settings you have checked/unchecked?   and are these settings done on the Emby App or on the Emby Server?

So again my components are a Nexus player running the HDMI to a SPDIF splitter....where the HDMI goes to the TV and optical out goes to the Sonos Playbar.  single AC3 audio file through kodi plays as Dolby Digital while Emby plays and it shows as Stereo.

Thanks for your time.

Wondering if you can assist me with how you got your issue resolved. 

I'm running a Nexus Player that I have both the Kodi & Emby app running on it. When playing a movie that only has 1 audio track on it, which is an AC3 format,through Kodi, my Sonos playbar shows that the format being played is Dolby Digital. Yet when I play that same file in Emby, it plays as a Stereo file. When I looked at my Emby dashboard, the file shows its direct playing. 

Reading through your issue, signing up for the beta app, I wonder if you can tell me what version of the app you now have....or how one can confirm that the recent update I've done...is indeed the beta/fixed app? The version I show is 1.2.26g. 

If I'm on the right app version, would you mind stepping me through the settings you have checked/unchecked?   and are these settings done on the Emby App or on the Emby Server?

So again my components are a Nexus player running the HDMI to a SPDIF splitter....where the HDMI goes to the TV and optical out goes to the Sonos Playbar.  single AC3 audio file through kodi plays as Dolby Digital while Emby plays and it shows as Stereo.

Thanks for your time.

Sounds like you have the same kind of setup as @@CBers and that particular hardware combination (optical connection to a Sonos soundbar) will not pass thru DD.

nuahsocramid

So would having 2 Nexus Players in my home, running the same Emby account, with one of the players set to down mix to stereo make my other Nexus player (connected to my Sonos Playbar), yet set to "Direct", be an issue? Again, Kodi plays the same file as DD on my Playbar.

CBers

Sounds like you have the same kind of setup as @@CBers and that particular hardware combination (optical connection to a Sonos soundbar) will not pass thru DD.

The only my difference is that my Shield is connected to my TV via HDMI and optical out from the TV to my Sonos PlayBar.

I do get DD pass-through from my TV to the Sonos PlayBar in the Samsung Smart TV app and Kodi (running on the Shield), but not the ATV app, so it is possible.

@@nuahsocramid - what TV are you using?

So would having 2 Nexus Players in my home, running the same Emby account, with one of the players set to down mix to stereo make my other Nexus player (connected to my Sonos Playbar), yet set to "Direct", be an issue?

No.

Kodi uses their own codecs you play almost even and the ATV app relies on the internal player or VLC for playback.

nuahsocramid

Thank you for the replys.  The TV is a Panasonic T-P60V10 and does not do DD out through the Digital Audio Out port.   The SPDIF splitter I'm using a J-Tech model that I just learned (haven't looked in awhile) button options for Pass-thru/2channel/5.1.   if I pick the 5.1 option, using Emby, my file plays/registers as DD 5.1 through the Playbar...which was nice to see.   So I guess I'll just use that feature of the splitter.   Any thoughts to why the Pass-thru option wouldn't work?

CBers

It maybe your TV, like mine, doesn't support EAC3.

I have a similar splitter box in line, but it seems to confuse my TV to allow DD pass-through without having to connect a separate optical cable.

nuahsocramid

from the splitter my optical cable goes straight to the Sonos Playbar...only the HDMI runs to the TV.     anywho, glad i looked at the j-tech box and found the audio switch in it.

thanks all for your time.