Linux Setup

Luke

You shouldn't run this as root. Create a user for it.

That would be safer. But it is easier to run as root so I don't have to worry about all the file permissions.

abeloin

Can someone test this version on something else than Fedora? Preferably without mono installed.

https://copy.com/7nMGGgiH0yko

Steps:

1. Install libgdiplus from distro ( Ubuntu >= 12.04, Debian >= jessie, Fedora >= 16)
  2. Extract archive, cd in mediabrowser_3.0.5121_arch
  3. Run mb3_3.0.5121.i686 or mb3_3.0.5121.x86_64 depending on your system's arch.
Edited by abeloin
  • Like 1

Can someone test this version on something else than Fedora? Preferably without mono installed.

Steps:

1. Install libgdiplus from distro ( Ubuntu >= 12.04, Debian >= 7, Fedora >= 16)
  2. Extract archive, cd in mediabrowser_3.0.5121_arch
  3. Run mb3_3.0.5121.i686 or mb3_3.0.5121.x86_64 depending on your system's arch.

Is a 32-bit libgdiplus no longer required? I'm running a 64-bit system, but I thought you had told someone earlier to specifically install the 32-bit libgdiplus.

Anyway, I just uninstalled mono and ran your x86_64 build on arch linux. I have the arch package libgdiplus 2.10.9-3 installed, but NOT the 32-bit version of libgdiplus. It seems to work the same as the build from Luke with mono installed.

Anything in particular you would like me to test?

By the way, when the app is running, the output prints "appHost.Init" and then "Running startup tasks" but it never prints "Completed running startup tasks" so (unless you specifically check the logs) it kind of looks like it never completes the startup tasks, even though it does complete them

thanks for that. i will improve the console logging at startup, because unlike the windows version there's obviously no splash screen with a progress bar so you can't always tell what's going on.

abeloin

Is a 32-bit libgdiplus no longer required? I'm running a 64-bit system, but I thought you had told someone earlier to specifically install the 32-bit libgdiplus.

In this case its depends, if you run mb3*.i686 you will need the 32 bit version and if mb3*.x86_64 then the 64 bit.

Anyway, I just uninstalled mono and ran your x86_64 build on arch linux. I have the arch package libgdiplus 2.10.9-3 installed, but NOT the 32-bit version of libgdiplus. It seems to work the same as the build from Luke with mono installed.

Anything in particular you would like me to test?

Try adding some files, see if you see the images(background, chapters images),which requires libgdiplus, works.

By the way, when the app is running, the output prints "appHost.Init" and then "Running startup tasks" but it never prints "Completed running startup tasks" so (unless you specifically check the logs) it kind of looks like it never completes the startup tasks, even though it does complete them

When you see "running startup task" the server is up and running, but it need better message. On the todo list.

Another thing worth mentioning about abeloin's build (as well as Luke's build that I tried) is that it does not get along with the Google Chrome web browser. I am running Windows Chrome Version 32.0.1700.72 m, and when I try to access various pages like dashboard or metadata manager on MBS running on my linux machine, there are freqeuent (and seemingly random) freezes and timeouts for the pages. A frequent occurrence when I first try to access the dashboard is that I get a blank screen as Chrome spins its circle and after several seconds of this I click on X to stop the load and the dashboard page suddenly appears.

This can be compared to using the same Chrome browser to access the same pages from the MBS server running on my Windows machine, no problems at all.

My workaround is just to always use Firefox to access the linux MBS web pages. Firefox does not seem to have this problem.

I remember seeing other people mentioning this in the other linux MBS thread.

Another thing worth mentioning about abeloin's build (as well as Luke's build that I tried) is that it does not get along with the Google Chrome web browser. I am running Windows Chrome Version 32.0.1700.72 m, and when I try to access various pages like dashboard or metadata manager on MBS running on my linux machine, there are freqeuent (and seemingly random) freezes and timeouts for the pages. A frequent occurrence when I first try to access the dashboard is that I get a blank screen as Chrome spins its circle and after several seconds of this I click on X to stop the load and the dashboard page suddenly appears.

This can be compared to using the same Chrome browser to access the same pages from the MBS server running on my Windows machine, no problems at all.

My workaround is just to always use Firefox to access the linux MBS web pages. Firefox does not seem to have this problem.

I remember seeing other people mentioning this in the other linux MBS thread.

@@abeloin sounds like the web socket server possibly failing.

jwill - we really need a server log attached to every issue. thanks.

i put a new build up to drop box. it adds some sqlite fixes from abeloin. keep in mind this is coming from source, so if you're familiar with the windows version you'll probably notice new stuff that hasn't been released yet.

abeloin

@@abeloin sounds like the web socket server possibly failing.

jwill - we really need a server log attached to every issue. thanks.

I did a network trace in Chrome(not chrominium) and this what i get:

• jquery.mobile-1.4.0.min.css take around 15 sec to load
  • jquery-2.0.3.min.map failed with error 400 ArgumentException Chrome related not an issue
  • jquery.jstree.min.js take around 15 sec to load
Edited by abeloin

Joao Correa

Congratulations!

I have a Debian Wheezy with mono from offcial repo instaled and using a DropBox repo.

# sudo mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

I've got this errors:

Could not load signature of MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1[TApplicationPathsType]:CheckForApplicationUpdate due to:
Could not load signature of MediaBrowser.Common.IApplicationHost:CheckForApplicationUpdate due to:
Missing method .ctor in assembly /home/xbmc/Release Mono/MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.dll, type System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute
Can't find custom attr constructor image: /home/xbmc/Release Mono/MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.dll mtoken: 0x0a000a24
Missing method .ctor in assembly /home/xbmc/Release Mono/NLog.dll, type System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute
Can't find custom attr constructor image: /home/xbmc/Release Mono/NLog.dll mtoken: 0x0a00001b
Missing method .ctor in assembly /home/xbmc/Release Mono/NLog.dll, type System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute
Can't find custom attr constructor image: /home/xbmc/Release Mono/NLog.dll mtoken: 0x0a00001b

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: LayoutRenderer cannot be found: 'longdate'
  at NLog.Config.Factory`2[NLog.LayoutRenderers.LayoutRenderer,NLog.LayoutRenderers.LayoutRendererAttribute].CreateInstance (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.LayoutParser.ParseLayoutRenderer (NLog.Config.ConfigurationItemFactory configurationItemFactory, NLog.Internal.SimpleStringReader sr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.LayoutParser.CompileLayout (NLog.Config.ConfigurationItemFactory configurationItemFactory, NLog.Internal.SimpleStringReader sr, Boolean isNested, System.String& text) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.SimpleLayout.set_Text (System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.SimpleLayout..ctor (System.String txt, NLog.Config.ConfigurationItemFactory configurationItemFactory) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.Layout.FromString (System.String layoutText, NLog.Config.ConfigurationItemFactory configurationItemFactory) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.Layout.FromString (System.String layoutText) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.Layout.op_Implicit (System.String text) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Targets.TargetWithLayout..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Targets.TargetWithLayoutHeaderAndFooter..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Targets.FileTarget..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Logging.NlogManager.AddFileTarget (System.String path, LogSeverity level) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Logging.NlogManager.ReloadLogger (LogSeverity level) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.ArgumentException: LayoutRenderer cannot be found: 'longdate'
  at NLog.Config.Factory`2[NLog.LayoutRenderers.LayoutRenderer,NLog.LayoutRenderers.LayoutRendererAttribute].CreateInstance (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.LayoutParser.ParseLayoutRenderer (NLog.Config.ConfigurationItemFactory configurationItemFactory, NLog.Internal.SimpleStringReader sr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.LayoutParser.CompileLayout (NLog.Config.ConfigurationItemFactory configurationItemFactory, NLog.Internal.SimpleStringReader sr, Boolean isNested, System.String& text) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.SimpleLayout.set_Text (System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.SimpleLayout..ctor (System.String txt, NLog.Config.ConfigurationItemFactory configurationItemFactory) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.Layout.FromString (System.String layoutText, NLog.Config.ConfigurationItemFactory configurationItemFactory) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.Layout.FromString (System.String layoutText) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Layouts.Layout.op_Implicit (System.String text) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NLog.Targets.TargetWithLayoutHeaderAndFooter..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Logging.NlogManager.AddFileTarget (System.String path, LogSeverity level) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Logging.NlogManager.ReloadLogger (LogSeverity level) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Joao Correa

with mono from offcial repo instaled ?

am i reading that right that you did not build mono as noted?

To install mono, i run this command:

sudo apt-get install mono-complete

After is necessary to build?

Could you explain the steps?

Thank you very much.

Joao Correa

@Joao Corra, try the link abeloin posted above.

It seems he included all the mono stuff as well? Am i correct abeloin?

I had removed default mono and exec ..mb3_3.0.5121.i686, any mistake?:

root@debian:/home/xbmc/mediabrowser_3.0.5121_arch# ./mb3_3.0.5121.i686
./mb3_3.0.5121.i686: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./mb3_3.0.5121.i686)
root@debian:/home/xbmc/mediabrowser_3.0.5121_arch#

Congratulations!

I have a Debian Wheezy with mono from offcial repo instaled and using a DropBox repo.

# sudo mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

I've got this errors:

Could not load signature of MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.BaseApplicationHost`1[TApplicationPathsType]:CheckForApplicationUpdate due to:
Could not load signature of MediaBrowser.Common.IApplicationHost:CheckForApplicationUpdate due to:
Missing method .ctor in assembly /home/xbmc/Release Mono/MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.dll, type System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute
Can't find custom attr constructor image: /home/xbmc/Release Mono/MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.dll mtoken: 0x0a000a24

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: LayoutRenderer cannot be found: 'longdate'
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.ArgumentException: LayoutRenderer cannot be found: 'longdate'

with mono from offcial repo instaled ?

am i reading that right that you did not build mono as noted?

Nate8727

Has anyone tried OS X, and if not, does anyone here have the capability to help us with some testing on it?

I could test, but I'm stuck on how to run the Release Mono distro of MB3.  I installed the Mono software, but when I open it in Xamarin Studio, it says build successful, but it doesn't do anything.  I'm also not sure where libdgiplus is located.  Was it included in the Mono software package I installed on OS X?

Is there something I'm missing?

There is a bug in the installed mono version that is affecting us. Until a new one comes out, you have to build mono from source as noted in step 1.

Joao Correa

Thanks Luke.

I did the step 1  and probably works fine:

root@debian:/home/xbmc/Release Mono# mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.5 (tarball Thu Dec  5 16:30:27 UTC 2013)
Copyright (C) 2002-2012 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Notifications: epoll
        Architecture:  x86
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen
root@debian:/home/xbmc/Release Mono# mono ./MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
appHost.Init

What's the port?

?

Thank you.

Edited by Joao Correa

Has anyone tried OS X, and if not, does anyone here have the capability to help us with some testing on it?

./mb3_3.0.5121.i686: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./mb3_3.0.5121.i686)
Joao, have you tried

Install libgdiplus from distro ?

For ubuntu/debian it shoul be

sudo apt-get install libgdiplus

Steps:

• Install libgdiplus from distro ( Ubuntu >= 12.04, Debian >= 7, Fedora >= 16)
  • Extract archive, cd in mediabrowser_3.0.5121_arch
  • Run mb3_3.0.5121.i686 or mb3_3.0.5121.x86_64 depending on your system's arch.

Working on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit headless server:-)

I had an old monodevelop installed long ago, and left it as is.

Downloaded, decompressed an ran it.

Added a couple of movies, via local mounts, and the server is getting all metadata.

Can also stream movies via the web interface.

Great work guys!

abeloin

Thanks Luke.

I did the step 1  and probably works fine:

root@debian:/home/xbmc/Release Mono# mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.5 (tarball Thu Dec  5 16:30:27 UTC 2013)
Copyright (C) 2002-2012 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Notifications: epoll
        Architecture:  x86
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen
root@debian:/home/xbmc/Release Mono# mono ./MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
appHost.Init

What's the port?

?

Thank you.

Try http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/

abeloin

It means that the glibc version in debian is lower than 2.15. Wheezy is 2.13. :( Jessie is 2.17.

Better use mono patched instead.

abeloin

I could test, but I'm stuck on how to run the Release Mono distro of MB3.  I installed the Mono software, but when I open it in Xamarin Studio, it says build successful, but it doesn't do anything.  I'm also not sure where libdgiplus is located.  Was it included in the Mono software package I installed on OS X?

Is there something I'm missing?

Try Run -> Start Debugging(F5)

In the application output you should see AppHostInit and then Run startup task

abeloin

@Joao Corra, try the link abeloin posted above.

It seems he included all the mono stuff as well? Am i correct abeloin?

Yes it does include everything except libgdiplus.

im85288

I did make an attempt to run it in on OS X, and in fact did get it to run. However as soon as I tried to add media it crashed and I could never get it to run again.