Manual Collections

moviefan

moviefan

Emby for WMC has a configuration option to disable "Collections View."

Unfortunately, this option stopped working around the same time it stopped working for the "Folders View" option.

This wouldn't be a problem if it worked.  The problem is that Emby for WMC still doesn't support collections that have been created the old school way.  

Emby Server displays my collections fine vie the web interface but Emby for WMC displays a completely empty field.

If Emby for WMC does not respect these options it shouldn't have them in the configuration view.  Furthermore, if it is unable to display the collections the same way that the web interface does it should have an option to disable.

Thanks.

Both those options are gone from the current beta.

You would now control the display of them from the global options on the server (they used to be per-user but are no longer).

moviefan

Ok so I guess this problem is really just, why can't Emby for WMC display the same collections that Emby Server is able to display?

Will this ever be fixed?  If not, and since you removed the option of doing it locally on the box, can there be an option on the server to prevent sending this item to Emby for WMC since it isn't capable of handling it properly?

I like having collections in the web interface and they work great.  I'd like them on my HTPC as well but if they don't work I am okay with not having them.  What I don't want is an item in my interface that doesn't work at all because it creates confusion for everyone using the system.

I'll look at it when I get a chance but I highly recommend changing to the collections supported by the web client.  That old way was basically deprecated and marked legacy a year ago.  Things like that don't get a lot of testing.

epayson85

I'm trying to understand whats happening here.  You are saying you had manual collections for WMC and you also have the collections setup via the web the correct way?  The web collections don't show up though via wmc?  Because they show up on my setup just fine.  There use to be the issue where collections showed up both in the home screen and the sub views of movies.  It would work via the home screen but not via the sub view where it was empty like you described.  That was fixed a couple months ago to no longer have it in the subview and it only shows up on the homescreen.  This works perfectly and matches up with the collections on all other clients.

moviefan

I'm trying to understand whats happening here.  You are saying you had manual collections for WMC and you also have the collections setup via the web the correct way?  The web collections don't show up though via wmc?  Because they show up on my setup just fine.  There use to be the issue where collections showed up both in the home screen and the sub views of movies.  It would work via the home screen but not via the sub view where it was empty like you described.  That was fixed a couple months ago to no longer have it in the subview and it only shows up on the homescreen.  This works perfectly and matches up with the collections on all other clients.

I am using collections where I have a Collections folder containing the movies from the collections and a collections.xml file inside of the folder defining the collection.

This is the way Emby used to work and I highly prefer this method of sorting my movies in a file structure.

The web interface works completely fine with this format.

Emby for WMC does not.

Is there some way I can get this "new method" to work without changing my folder structure and breaking up the collections?  If so I would be fine doing it although I still feel like since this works in the Web interface it should works in other clients as well.

Well the whole idea is, we're not giving it much testing anymore, that's why it works in some apps and not others. Yes you could probably keep the boxset folder structures but just remove the [boxset] monikers from the folder names (is present), as well as collection.xml files. At that point it's just a plain folder.

moviefan

I don't have [boxset] monikers in my folder names.  Just collection.xml files as well as some folder and backdrop images.

So you are saying if I delete all these collection.xml files and install the autoboxset plugin that Emby should figure the rest out?

Will the pictures still trip it up?

Can I test this out on one collection at a time versus my entire library?  I have 200+ collections and can't imagine redoing them all if this doesn't work.

Edited by moviefan

I don't have [boxset] monikers in my folder names.  Just collection.xml files as well as some folder and backdrop images.

So, please explain again, with pictures if possible, exactly what isn't working.  Because those are not collections as far as Emby is concerned.

moviefan

Okay now I am really confused.  My understanding was that all along for the manual method you had the option of EITHER using the [boxset] moniker or putting a collection.xml file in the collection folder.  And this has always worked for me.

Here is an example of a folder that contains a collection:

57728dc81893c_ScreenShot20160628at74552A

I tried enabling Autoboxset last night after my last post and it doesn't appear to work for files which are in hierarchical folders like I have.  It did find a handful of collections which I hadn't previously defined which were in the flat folder structure and now those show up in the web interface under the top level Collections item.  This used to show all my collections but now only shows the one defined by autoboxset.

My manual collections still show up under the Collections sub-menu item in the web interface:

577293e83d189_ScreenShot20160628at81205A

Before I enabled Autoboxset, I deleted the collection.xml file from one of the collection folders, but this one was also not properly put into a collection afterwards...doesnt show up in this list or in the new top level collections item.

It is looking like I feared based on this test - that Emby is not going to work unless I break up all of my collections and put them into a flat folder structure.  I really hope this is not the case.  Was always what I was worried about when the autoboxset plugin was first announced.

• Like 1

I already said you don't have to move files so I don't know why you're bringing that up again. For now, forget about autoboxsets. just remove the collection.xml. then manually create a collection in the web interface. then after that you can try autoboxsets to automate this for more titles.

moviefan

To be fair, you said I could "probably" keep my folder structures so when it didn't work I thought that meant I couldn't.  My apologies for misinterpreting.  

I installed autoboxset because I thought it would automatically fix my collections after I removed the collection.xml files.  

As you can see in the screenshot I have a couple hundred collections so it will take a decent amount of time to do this.

Are the hierarchical folders the issue that is preventing autoboxset from working?

Thanks for your help.

No the folders are fine. I was suggesting creating one manually just so that you can get an idea of the differences in features with newer style collections vs. the older folder driven ones.