How to get rid of the "Try Emby XXX" promotional messages?

jant90

jant90

For quite a while now I've been seeing these "Try Emby Premiere" and "Try Emby Theater" messages in both the web interface and the Android app.

I think they are pretty intrusive as they completely take over your homescreen and thus I would like to disable them. The most logical way to do this would be that after pressing the X the message would disappear entirely for that user (at least until Emby is updated again), however as that's not the case and it keeps coming back I figured it would be a few weeks tops until these messages would be taken out altogether (with an Emby update).

However as these messages still keep popping up several weeks later I'm getting more and more annoyed by them. I tried disabling them by editing the /dashboard-ui/scripts/sections.js file by tinkering with the getTheaterInfo and getPremiereInfo functions but whenever I think I've got it (because the message is gone for a few login attempt) then all of a sudden it's back, maybe that has something to do with caching. While writing, after also refreshing the browser cache and restarting Emby I think I may have got it by changing return html; to return false; for these functions. However no luck for the app (even after completely resetting it), and I also tried fiddling with the getAppInfo function just now.

Will these messages be removed any time soon? If not, can anyone please instruct me on how to remove them myself properly?

• Like 3

Ponyo

Was just about to post that.

Anyway I do agree that not being able to remove the message is rather annoying. I understand the devs want to draw attention to Emby Premiere and I don't have a problem with that but it would be nice if the frequency could be dialed down a little bit. Now it's there every time you enter your library, even if you paid for the app already. Maybe once every x couple of days/weeks or every x amount of videos played would be better.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
majorsl

Was just about to post that.

Anyway I do agree that not being able to remove the message is rather annoying. I understand the devs want to draw attention to Emby Premiere and I don't have a problem with that but it would be nice if the frequency could be dialed down a little bit. Now it's there every time you enter your library, even if you paid for the app already. Maybe once every x couple of days/weeks or every x amount of videos played would be better.

I would second this. I don't mind so much the Emby Premiere, but respectfully, I have zero interest in Emby Theater and it's continual urging is starting to get annoying.

Keep throwing up the Premiere notifications at me, fair enough, but at least put in a "[ ] don't show again" checkbox for semi-unrelated ads like Theater.  Maybe that's a decent compromise?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

djonnie

Keep throwing up the Premiere notifications at me, fair enough, but at least put in a "[ ] don't show again" checkbox for semi-unrelated ads like Theater.  Maybe that's a decent compromise?

Why a compromise? I've setup everything so that all my devices connect to Emby Server using a webbrowser. I don't need any of the Emby apps and would like to not be bothered anymore about Premiere.

Why a compromise? I've setup everything so that all my devices connect to Emby Server using a webbrowser. I don't need any of the Emby apps and would like to not be bothered anymore about Premiere.

So you are using everything we've provided completely for free and just wish we'd go away now...

• Like 6

djonnie

So you are using everything we've provided completely for free and just wish we'd go away now...

No.

The strength of Emby is in the community. Saying everything's provided "completely for free" is very disrespectful to the forum users who spend literally hours/days/dollars figuring things out, posting error logs, troubleshooting and helping others out for your product. For free. You're welcome.

The developers can't run this completely on their own, and the way they most of the time take very serious what's said on this forum makes Emby stand apart from other products. IMHO bugging end users (like my kids) with "ads" without providing an option to disable this after the first time does not fit very well in in this. Of course you're welcome to disagree.

Edited by djonnie
  • Agree 1

dcook

So you and your kids are using EMBY and you can't afford to support the project and pay $35 year?

Do you really want me to break out what little amount it is on a monthly/weekly/daily basis?

Once I tried EMBY for a couple months the first thing I did was join Premiere to further support the project and have unlimited use of apps within my household.

Its a relativity small amount to pay for this great product.

(despite my ongoing issues with collection images which I hope Luke will address soon!!!)

No.

The strength of Emby is in the community. Saying everything's provided "completely for free" is very disrespectful to the forum users who spend literally hours/days/dollars figuring things out, posting error logs, troubleshooting and helping others out for your product. For free. You're welcome.

The developers can't run this completely on their own, and the way they most of the time take very serious what's said on this forum makes Emby stand apart from other products. IMHO bugging end users (like my kids) with "ads" without providing an option to disable this after the first time does not fit very well in in this. Of course you're welcome to disagree.

djonnie

well, it's not that i can't afford it, but there's simply no advantage in it for me, since i access emby using webbrowsers only - i have tried premiere for some months, so i know what's in it

MrWebsmith

this is an example of why i liked when it was called a "supporter"...  think of it that why.. its not that you "need those other features" its that you want the product to continue to improve and support those that work on it.

• Like 2

djonnie

this is an example of why i liked when it was called a "supporter"...  think of it that why.. its not that you "need those other features" its that you want the product to continue to improve and support those that work on it.

Yes, I guess everybody on this forum wants that. That's why I help translating apps and why I worked on a procedure to get Emby running on a Raspberry.That's my way of supporting Emby.

No.

I agree... every time I go to the supermarket and give them feedback.. they let me get my groceries for free.. lol

dcook

It still says "supporting emby" when you purchase:

576c1c8b557bc_emby.jpg

MSattler

It still says "supporting emby" when you purchase:

576c1c8b557bc_emby.jpg

Jesus, let's get nitpicky.  One could say @@MrWebsmith was talking about being a "Supporter", not something saying "Supporting Emby".  But yet you totally missed the point, and jumped in to try and please the dev's.  again....

You must have some very comfortable kneepads =)

Edited by MSattler

Deathsquirrel

I'm really not sure what the incentive is for the developers to spend their time making it easier for you to not pay them for their work is exactly...

As I'm old I remember the common distribution of shareware on floppies.  The resulting aps came with nag screens to pay for the product.  Most of those didn't let me use even the core product functions for free.  You get a LOT of free functions from Emby server.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

No.

This makes no sense. The product is emby, comprised of the server and its suite of client apps. The forum is a "community". Everything is provided for free, some based upon free trials, some limiting which features come with the free versions. The argument is, since the forum exists, that forum posts equal money? Is that the argument?

Basically...

"Hey I help on the forum and such the value of which is $2300. In effect you owe me $2201, keep the $99 for my premiere membership."

Contributions to the forum are just that. Thank you for contributing to this knowledge database of text. There is no reward for this. The only reward is the "warm" feeling you get knowing you helped someone. The one common goal of every post is to get an answer. So here is yet, another answer....

The point is you chose emby, emby didnt choose you. You made a choice. In doing so you have options:

A) you can pay to support and remove the nags.

B) You can use another platform.

C) You can just deal with the slight annoyance happy in the fact you have no investment in the product.

D) You can do nothing and complain

You chose D. This thread was created by someone who also chose D. You get what you chose. You did nothing, so got nothing. What did you expect?

Run this? What is "this"? The way they "most of the time"? I love the cynicism..but your children "see the ad" because of your choices. Not because emby is doing anything wrong. You paid $50 for your childrens entertainment this week. Bought them ice creams, candy, took them places, spent money on them. Consider the price of emby premiere into that budget. Make a better "choice". Edited by speechles
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
drashna

No.

And you're outright ignoring the FACT that 

• The developers have put many, many hours into the work
  • Their own money (and time) into the product
  • Their blood, sweat and tears
  • They have to pay the bills for ......
    • web hosting costs 
    • IPBoard forum fees (the software isn't free, the spam filtering isn't free, etc) 
    • Bandwidth fees 

By saying that the community is what supports and makes the product, you're essentially telling the devs that their contributions are shit and don't mean anything.

Not only is that disingenuous, but it's wrong. Morally, ethically, and financially. 

You're being a self entitled brat, and people are calling you out on that. 

You really don't want to nagging?  Then shut it, and pay the TINY fee for premium. 

@@Luke, cbers, ebr, etc:

Sorry if this is super ranty, but I work for a small software vendor, doing support... this sort of entitlement really pisses me off, because you developers to SOOO much that "we" don't see. How much effort goes into troubleshooting and supporting a massive product like this, especially as it's cross platform. And all the entitled people like this... It really just pushes my buttons 

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Then shut it, and pay the TINY fee for premium. 

@@Luke, cbers, ebr, etc:

Sorry if this is super ranty, but I work for a small software vendor, doing support... this sort of entitlement really pisses me off, because you developers to SOOO much that "we" don't see. How much effort goes into troubleshooting and supporting a massive product like this, especially as it's cross platform. And all the entitled people like this... It really just pushes my buttons 

As a very new user(1 week) I just found this ad via the web interface and was wondering what others are saying about this.  Found this thread.  

I don't think 100$ is a tiny fee.  $5 a month subscription is not a fee.  Spotify charges students $5 sub but includes all the content... with Emby I have to provide the content.  Without content Emby is just a digital doorstop.  I can see doing something because that is what the competition is doing(Plex) but also keep in mind that you can download and use Plex via webapp for free, no intrusive nagging ads.  Key word here being compete.  That requires providing a product/price/service better then others.  While Emby works, it is nowhere near the polished smooth operation that plex is.  

That being said the reason I don't want to use Plex any more is because they have a bug interfacing with chromecast and despite people reporting and complaining for over a year the company does nothing.  I even got a Pass to report the problem direct.  They do nothing probably because they want corporate growth not a better product and while the UI might be polished it actually is worse then what it was when I first started using it years ago... my 4yr old could use it with almost no instruction; but I digress.

I'm a big fan of micro transactions, but requires thinking big.  1$ per person once then let the internet multiply the people by 1 Billion+.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

As a very new user(1 week) I just found this ad via the web interface and was wondering what others are saying about this.  Found this thread.  

I don't think 100$ is a tiny fee.  $5 a month subscription is not a fee.  Spotify charges students $5 sub but includes all the content... with Emby I have to provide the content.  Without content Emby is just a digital doorstop.  I can see doing something because that is what the competition is doing(Plex) but also keep in mind that you can download and use Plex via webapp for free, no intrusive nagging ads.  Key word here being compete.  That requires providing a product/price/service better then others.  While Emby works, it is nowhere near the polished smooth operation that plex is.  

That being said the reason I don't want to use Plex any more is because they have a bug interfacing with chromecast and despite people reporting and complaining for over a year the company does nothing.  I even got a Pass to report the problem direct.  They do nothing probably because they want corporate growth not a better product and while the UI might be polished it actually is worse then what it was when I first started using it years ago... my 4yr old could use it with almost no instruction; but I digress.

I'm a big fan of micro transactions, but requires thinking big.  1$ per person once then let the internet multiply the people by 1 Billion+.

Just my 2 cents.

So if I follow, Emby has the client support you want and costs less than Plex but really needs to cost less than the electricity I burned typing these letters so they can make it up in volume?

• Like 1

TroyBennett

If you devote enough time to it, maybe you can make your own software, one that does not bug anyone for money, ever....then you can give it away...I'm sure nobody would ever come back to you and ask you to implement new stuff in there...I'm sure that, even though something doesn't work the way they think it should, you wouldn't hear any complaints about it, after all it's free.  Maybe after a while you might start thinking...hmm...maybe I can sell an advanced version of my software for money...but how to get the word out.....i wonder....maybe i can post in a about section in the forums...I'm sure to make some money then...

overClocked!

I don't think 100$ is a tiny fee.

Agreed. Not everyone has this amount of money readily at their disposal to use on an Emby Premiere Lifetime license. However one can set aside a small amount periodically over time until they have enough money to make the purchase. It is worth every penny and then some, even if you don't plan to use all of the benefits and features it unlocks.

$5 a month subscription is not a fee. Spotify charges students $5 sub but includes all the content... with Emby I have to provide the content. Without content Emby is just a digital doorstop.

The primary purpose of Emby is to provide an enhanced experience accessing your own personal collection from anywhere, on a variety of platforms. Spotify is a completely different animal so a fee comparison between the two isn't really valid.

I can see doing something because that is what the competition is doing(Plex) but also keep in mind that you can download and use Plex via webapp for free, no intrusive nagging ads. Key word here being compete. That requires providing a product/price/service better then others. While Emby works, it is nowhere near the polished smooth operation that plex is.

I think you will find many former Plex users in this community that will respectfully disagree with that statement. [emoji3] Emby has evolved and improved at a rapid pace given that it employs only a handful of developers by comparison. So it can't be expected to go toe-to-toe with Goliath...and yet, it holds its own just fine. There are areas where Emby is ahead of Plex. But all of this is a matter of perspective and personal preference.

I'm a big fan of micro transactions, but requires thinking big. 1$ per person once then let the internet multiply the people by 1 Billion+.

Unfortunately, a rather large percentage of that 1 Billion+ internet users would still find $1 too much to pay and complain about not having everything given to them for free. Edited by overClocked!

Deathsquirrel

Unfortunately, a rather large percentage of that 1 Billion+ internet users would still find $1 too much to pay and complain about not having everything given to them for free.

Absolutely true, plus there aren't anything like a billion customers for this kind of product.  It's not a mainstream thing.  See the utter failure of windows media center, which was both free and widely praised.