New Emby with Kodi Setup

idhToronto

idhToronto

Hi 

I am hoping this is the right form to post this in. 

I was having problems with my Kodi library which was on mySQL and decided to start using Emby instead. I installed the Emby add-on and have a few questions:

1. I was under the impression that a Kodi library is not necessary if using Emby so I removed my Kodi sources and library and rely on the Emby add-on. Is this correct or does Emby work with a Kodi library?

2. When I performed an initial library scan I found that a lot of my movies did not identify correctly and do not contain any 'scraped' information. I have done some research and it seems that Emby does not get information from IMDB. Is this correct? Does Emby only rely on NFO files?

3. The initial library scan of my TV SHows identified the TV SHow but dd not download any information about the show and when I go to refresh I am presented with a long number and not the TV Show name to refresh on. Is this the way it works?

I really like Emby's deisgn and functionality and woud like to keep using it so hope I can get some answers to the above. If more informaton about my setup is needed please let me know

Thank you

Ian

benbour

Hey there.

I recently started using Emby with Kodi too as a solution to have a synced library throughout my home.

1) You were right to remove the Kodi sources, I think.  I tried to merge them when I first started out, and I was told it's best to start from scratch. Emby does work with a Kodi library, but Emby creates it and manages it.

2) As for identifying media, Emby does a great job of it, as long as it's well organized. I use local metadata (that's just my preference). You can tell Emby how you want it to handle metadata from your server side. I'd make sure everything is the way you want it on there first, before you throw Kodi into the equation. I use Sonarr and Couchpotato to move and name my media, but I use Emby to create the metadata for it. This works perfectly and Emby hasn't missed anything as of yet.

3) This ties right in with what I've posted above. If something does not show up correctly, you need to make sure it's presented to Emby properly. If you're leaving everything named how it is when you downloaded it, it can get very out of hand quickly.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

You can start with the links above to get your media in order. I do recommend having Emby create local metadata for you after as it can save you a lot of time later. Filebot is a good program to rename files.

idhToronto

Thanks for the reply.

I had previously been using a Kodi library so all my media is using the Kodi naming format which as far as I can tell is also the suggested format for Emby. I only used NFO files for special cases (e.g. foreign movies that I wanted to be displayed as English titles etc)

When I initially scanned my library in Emby I had mixed results - some movies were identifed correctly and some were not. For most of the movies Emby kept the year in the title. I did read that Emby does not use IMDB to get information so I may end up having to geenrate an NFO file for each movie and place that in the folder with the movie.

For TV Shows - I have not had much luck at all. No TV Show episode information is downloaded and I cannot refresh the entry as it uses a long number and not the TV Show name.

Did you store the NFO files in a central metadata directory or did you select the option to store it with the media file?

What do you use to create the NFO files? or is that what Sonarr and/or Couchpotato do?

Edited by idhToronto

benbour

The first thing you'll need to do is get everything identified correctly. I have them stored with the media file. If you're library isn't too big, you can go through your library with Emby and correctly identify movies or shows that haven't been seen correctly. When you tell Emby what it is, it will produce the proper metadata for it.

Previous to using Emby, I strictly used Sonarr (for TV) and Couchpotato (for movies) to keep everything organized (naming, moving, creating metadata) for new and existing media. When I scanned everything with Emby for the first time, I don't think anything was wrong. I think Emby scrapes using themoviedb and open movie database. If your naming conventions and folder structures are correct, clean and organized, you may have to spend the time in Emby to go through it all.

idhToronto

It looks like this will be more work than I thought. All media files are identified in the proper format. I ddin't have any issues with Kodi finding the information for the movies or TV shows but I do seem to have issues with Emby. Not enough to make me regret Emby though.

I just tried again with a TV Show and replaced the long number with the name of the TV Show and still no luck. TV Shows do show the season and episode but leave the whole file name and no overview or details are scraped. 

Edited by idhToronto

benbour

You should remove the Emby library and start fresh with a test library. Make a folder and put 1 TV show in it that doesn't show up correctly. Add this folder to your Emby library and see if it does the same thing. If it does, you can make changes to it easily and find what's wrong.

Here's what my tv structure looks like:

5745e58648fce_tvshowroot.jpg

5745e5969d03a_seasonroot.jpg

If your shows are named like that, I can't see how they'd be falsely identified.

idhToronto

Thanks a lot for your help! 

My structure is similar to yours it's just that in Emby I don't have any overviews or other details for the episodes. 

I will try start again from scratch when I get home

idhToronto

Benbour

Thanks for your help. I have just:

1. Removed by old library from Emby.

2, Created a new TV Shows folder and moved one TV Series to it - named as per the standard which I already used

3. Added the new TV Shows folder to the library in Emby

4. Scanned the library and the TV series was identified and metadaa downloaded

5. Checked in Emby client and all info was there

6. Checked in Kodi and info was there

Now to decide whether to move on series at a time or hope a full scan of all TV Series will work.

One thing that I did notice is that if I am in Kodi and refresh the TV information it removes it from the display. I need to refrain from doing that and let Emby manafe the library

benbour

Looks like you're making good progress. I would try adding a few more shows now and see what it does. If that works, throw the rest in. While Emby processes it all, be patient with it. Wait until it's completely finished before even starting up Kodi. If you try to force things while Emby is still working, you may have issues like you're describing.

• Like 1