Folder Depth Question

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

Greetings,

I'm trying something a little different for my own sanity.

Previously, I was using using the following naming convention for series

<SERIES TITLE> [YEAR RELEASED] [iMDB TAG] \ Season XX

Generally speaking, it was working great.

Now, for my own sanity, I tried shifting things around so I dropped series in folders.

For instance, I moved all the Marvel series to 

Marvel \ <SERIES TITLE> [YEAR RELEASED] [iMDB TAG] \ Season XX

Now Emby is treating each of these series as if they are seasons of Marvel.

Is there a way to have Emby understand that these are groupings for sanities without going into the Server Configuration and add each of these folders as defined folders in the library manager?

I may end up going back to how things were, but this would add a lot of sanity to finding things if I could keep the sub folders in the already defined folders.

jordy

You could try EMBYs "Collections" feature. Just name them how you had them previously - eg. each series in its own folder without the "Marvel" parent. Then follow the instructions in the Wiki. You can then see them all together by showing a collections tab in the webUI. Worth a try anyway :)

• Like 1

You could try EMBYs "Collections" feature. Just name them how you had them previously - eg. each series in its own folder without the "Marvel" parent. Then follow the instructions in the Wiki. You can then see them all together by showing a collections tab in the webUI. Worth a try anyway :)

Collections even have a newly written wiki article:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35170-collections-wiki/

Greetings,

I'm trying something a little different for my own sanity.

Previously, I was using using the following naming convention for series

[YEAR RELEASED] [iMDB TAG] \ Season XX

Generally speaking, it was working great.

Now, for my own sanity, I tried shifting things around so I dropped series in folders.

For instance, I moved all the Marvel series to 

Marvel \ [YEAR RELEASED] [iMDB TAG] \ Season XX

Now Emby is treating each of these series as if they are seasons of Marvel.

Is there a way to have Emby understand that these are groupings for sanities without going into the Server Configuration and add each of these folders as defined folders in the library manager?

I may end up going back to how things were, but this would add a lot of sanity to finding things if I could keep the sub folders in the already defined folders.

Hi, welcome. The answer to this question is in our TV naming wiki. Check out the complex structure examples:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

Thanks.

Lighthammer

What I was hoping to do was something like this:

How it CURRENTLY is is like this:

TV Shows - Animation\ (this is the mapped directory in the backend)

Wolverine and the X-Men [2009] [tt0772145]\

Season 01 [2009]\

01 - 

02 - 

03 -

The Avengers - Earth's Mighiest Heroes [2010] [tt1626038]\

Season 01 [2010]\

01 - 

02 - 

03 - 

Season 02 [2012]\

01 - 

02 - 

03 - 

I'd like to do this:

TV Shows - Animation\ (this is the mapped directory in the backend)

Marvel Collection\

Wolverine and the X-Men [2009] [tt0772145]\

Season 01 [2009]\

01 - 

02 - 

03 -

The Avengers - Earth's Mighiest Heroes [2010] [tt1626038]\

Season 01 [2010]\

01 - 

02 - 

03 - 

Season 02 [2012]\

01 - 

02 - 

03 - 

There obviously isn't any database support for these sorts of Collections such as IMDB or TheMovieDB (yet) but I am starting to find it difficult to easily keep track of the collection on the backend. 

Marvel and DC, for instance, both have an insane number of series to keep track of to the point where they could be subdivided even further. 

For the record, I already use collections in the Emby interface to sort a lot of this sort of stuff, but I'm finding I'm in need of a way to deal with these collections both in a better way on the back end and on the front end.

I almost feel like "we're" in need of a database that specifically addresses series that take place in the same universe.

TheMovieDB, for instance, has strict rules that you can't create collections unless its a series of sequels. This doesn't go far enough to deal with Animated or TV universes that take place in the same continuity.

That being said, I will state that I realize EMH and X-Men aren't in the same continuity; I'm currently moving a lot of files around and I wanted to provided correct information for the example. Grouping Spiderman, X-Men, Iron Man, Hulk and Fantastic Four would have been a more apt example for this. 

dcook

Why don't you just leave them all flat under Movies or TV on your file system and use the Collections feature in Emby?  

There is no need to have the physical structure match the lack of a better word "virtual" structure inside Emby?

Lighthammer

Why don't you just leave them all flat under Movies or TV on your file system and use the Collections feature in Emby?  

There is no need to have the physical structure match the lack of a better word "virtual" structure inside Emby?

The more files you get, the harder it is to navigate them. In the case of Marvel Animations, there are 33 series and about the same amount for DC.

You're already talking around 75 series if you collected just those two.

Have you ever seen load times from 75 folders containing nearly 5,000 files? It's especially compounded when you remote into a server.

The bigger collections get, the better structure you need.

dcook

Yes I use my system every day, currently 221 series, which contain 21,840 files

As I said there is no need to structure the file system that way, just setup collection in Emby

Lighthammer

Yes I use my system every day, currently 221 series, which contain 21,840 files

As I said there is no need to structure the file system that way, just setup collection in Emby

That solution isn't going to work for me. It's far too unorganized for my tastes. If it works for you awesome; but please don't keep trying telling me the same solution I've already clearly said won't work for me.

Edited by Lighthammer

dcook

You said:

Have you ever seen load times from 75 folders containing nearly 5,000 files? It's especially compounded when you remote into a server.

I answered your question, stating I have 4 times more files that you with no access time issues.  I remote into my server every day, so I am not sure how it would be compounded?

Edited by dcook

Happy2Play

I guess some of what is being said here has to do with the quality of the machine running Emby and it's network also.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Lighthammer

Didn't I give you the answer you're looking for?

I used your answer to give you a more specific case use of what I am trying to accomplish. 

Lighthammer

I guess some of what is being said here has to do with the quality of the machine running Emby and it's network also.

The server is currently running on an ATOM with 16 GB.

A better case setup would be to use the Linux release, but I found I was just too used to the Windows environment to be fond of the idea of letting the server run and not be able to maintain it well.

Regardless, it still makes it stupidly easier to find things in the file system if they are better organized and a file system that is a 100+ loose folders just isn't; especially when you're adjusting things routinely.

Edited by Lighthammer

Happy2Play

Everything you want to do can be done, but it will require you to do some work in the Metadata manager per the wiki.

It's also possible to have a sub-folder group multiple shows together in an otherwise normal directory structure. Use the metadata manager to change the content type of the sub-folder to TV.
\TV --- content type TV
     \TV show 1
       \Season 1
     \Star Trek  --- change content type to TV using metadata manager
       \Star Trek
          \Season 1
       \Star Trek: The next Generation
          \Season 1

Everything you want to do can be done, but it will require you to do some work in the Metadata manager per the wiki.

Don't think he read it. I think he just wants the answer :)

Lighthammer

Don't think he read it. I think he just wants the answer :)

Seriously Luke? You need to go there? =(

I said in my ORIGINAL POST:

Is there a way to have Emby understand that these are groupings without going into the Server Configuration and add each of these folders as defined folders in the library manager?

Happy2Play

The only other way is to change your mapped directories.  Since you are creating a nested folder structure.

Personally I would create a custom collection.xml for your collection folder.

Lighthammer

The only other way is to change your mapped directories.  Since you are creating a nested folder structure.

Personally I would create a custom collection.xml for your collection folder.

Hmm, someone offered that solution in the past (like a year or so ago), but I think at the time there was little to no documentation on it.

Is there any documentation on this now?

Edited by Lighthammer

Happy2Play

No documentation.

Probably one of my posts since Emby still honors legacy collection.xml as created my MCM (nested structure).  Just doesn't honor them in the same way as created by Auto Box Set plugin.

Lighthammer

No documentation.

Probably one of my posts since Emby still honors legacy collection.xml as created my MCM (nested structure).  Just doesn't honor them in the same way as created by Auto Box Set plugin.

Yea, I think you might have been the one to suggest that before and we knew the box system was coming.

I'm kind of really railing at the idea that we need something like the box system for TV series.

With the popularity of TV series taking place in the same universe, it's both making people want to completely build out these collections as well as group them together.

TheMovieDB doesn't seem to want to budge on their stance that collections can only be movie sequels. 

I guess what I'd really like to do is be able to start a new database that allows us to group TV series or if someone has significantly more gloute with someone at TheMovieDB to make such a suggestion for the purpose of this sort of meta organization. 

At the very least, it would be awesome if the file system could look one addition folder down the hierarchy. 

Edited by Lighthammer

jordy

If you could add sub collections would that fix you problem?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

Lighthammer

I think that would fix a different problem that I'd love to address at some point.

For the Marvel Cinematic Universe, for instance, it would be wonderful to be able to go:

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Iron Man

Iron Man 1

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Imately, the problem is, the file structure doesn't support collections in TV Shows.

Happy2Play

I think that would fix a different problem that I'd love to address at some point.

For the Marvel Cinematic Universe, for instance, it would be wonderful to be able to go:

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Iron Man

Iron Man 1

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Imately, the problem is, the file structure doesn't support collections in TV Shows.

It is supported but requires some manual intervention.

Lighthammer

Could you give a good example how to deal with it ?

I know you said it has to do with file modification. I'm decent at scripting, I just need to know the proper format and calls.

Edited by Lighthammer