Ext. player (mpc-hc) - play state/resume/scenes and remote control

njoak

Hey,

I upgraded from MB2 to MB3 about a week ago and installed both MBC, the android client ant MBT. I must begin by commending the dev team on their work - it felt like a great leap forward! MBT feels much more modern and up to date than MB2/MBC and the server/client setup is awesome. :)

One of the things I have not gotten to work and miss the most in MBT is the play state, resume function and remote control of external players (in my case mpc-hc, have not tried others). It seems to also affect the trakt-plugin in that scrobbling is not working or at best is hit-and-miss. 

If I start a video in MBT, I can see in the web client that it is playing, but unlike videos played in the internal player or in external players started from MBC, the progress is not updated. The time indicator stays put at 00:00.

Of course the resume function does not work either (ext. played videos do not turn up as in-progress at all), and scrobbling to trakt.tv doesn't either. Trakt sees that a video is being played, but does not mark it as scrobbled afterwards. Similarly (I think), I can start a video on MBT/mpc-hc remotely from the web client (and android), but do not see the progress and can not jump forward or backwards or pause. Stop works, though. 

The scenes/chapter function does not work either, I presume for the same reason. If a scene is selected, the video starts from the beginning. 

Is the communication with ext. players not fully functional in MBT or am I doing something wrong? All of the above works with mpc-hc in MBC, and with the internal player.

at the core level that's basically all i'm planning on for external players, since when all is said and done the internal player will be leaps and bounds beyond what mb2 was. so for external players it's really just giving you the ability to launch. i have set it up so that a plugin developer can can add playstate and resume support if they want, but the mbt core is not going to have that responsibility anymore. just need a volunteer.

• Like 1

Makes sense. 

Edit: Naively (I'm not a dev), the necessary code must exist since all seems well with ext players in MBC. Hope someone jumps on this, unless the internal player catches up first.  :)

Edited by njoak

I also use mpc-hc as an external player and have stayed with media browser classic for the exact same reasons. I have been checking media browser theater regularly to see if full support for mpc-hc had been added. I'm glad I now know the situation. I would gladly pay for the plugin if one was developed :-)

Edited by ghytty

• 1 year later...
bnwbass

Hello,

Does Emby Theatre now supports MPC as an external player ?

if yes, how to ?

Thanks !

I am also interested in this answer

The answer is the same as before.

at the core level that's basically all i'm planning on for external players, since when all is said and done the internal player will be leaps and bounds beyond what mb2 was. so for external players it's really just giving you the ability to launch. i have set it up so that a plugin developer can can add playstate and resume support if they want, but the mbt core is not going to have that responsibility anymore. just need a volunteer.