Skip Issue (Shield TV)

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I am seeing an occasional issue with skipping forward that I can't seem to reproduce and know exactly what I was doing when it happened. I am not sure what or how to post logs when it occurs and which ones you would need or if they would help or show what may be causing the issue to happen.

So, here is what I see happening. I can skip forward successfully most of the time. Then, all of a sudden, I will hit the icon to skip forward and the video will suddenly show the time at the start of status bar as some really long number with a lot of 1s in it, the video will pause and suddenly stop, go back to the screen you start playing the video from and show it marked as watched (even though there may be 30 minutes left before the end of the video).

I can do some more testing on it tomorrow to see if I can reproduce it with certainty and know exactly what I was doing when it occurred. However, before I start doing that I wanted to find out what logs you would need from where.

The video file is a Live TV recording using the Emby TV setup with my HDHomerun Extend and I have the setting to automatically convert the recordings to MP4 while preserving the audio format which is AC3. I am using this because it will allow my TV recordings to direct play on the Shield TV which is playing and looking very nice by the way. 

I am on Server Beta version 3.0.5965.0 and the App is version 1.1.90g. 

Let me know what you think I may be able to do and give you that may help isolate what is happening. 

Turn on the debug option in the app and then, the next time it happens, go back to the home page and hit the "Send Log" button on the settings row.  Then post out here the time you did this and the Emby user that was logged in.  Thx.

jasonmcroy

Ok, I just was able to reproduce it. I did as you said above. It occurred at 2:58pm and the user is Jason.

jasonmcroy

I was wondering if you received my logs and had a chance to look at them?

Is it always the same content or source of content?  I'm seeing this from the player just before it jumps to the end.

05-11 14:58:49.345 14543 14662 W AudioTrack: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 47616, 39623424714, 39623441429, 89479477333
05-11 14:58:49.854 14543 14662 W AudioTrack: Spurious audio timestamp (frame position mismatch): 72192, 39623936859, 39623950280, 89479989333

jasonmcroy

I have had it occur on the converted Emby TV recordings (MP4 with audio preserved), with the direct TS files from TV recordings and the .mpg recordings from the HDHomerun DVR software (which are just .ts files in a different container).

Since the last App update and server update I haven't had it occur. Although, I have been more careful in skipping when I am not purposefully trying to recreate it. I will skip forward 4 or 5 times, stop and let the on-screen display go away and then skip forward or backwards again as needed. This seems to keep it from doing that.

It seems more likely to happen if I skip forward more agressively and back too fast or something.

Like I said, it's sometimes difficult to reproduce.

jasonmcroy

Hi Ebr,

I was playing with this a little bit more just now. I tested on a .mpg file recorded via HDHomerun DVR (it is a movie I recorded). On that file, I went through the entire movie with no issues at all. The App transcodes that file by the way. It seemed to skip forward/backward with no issues.

Here is the media info on that file:

Media Info
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate375 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo
Audio
Languagespa
CodecAC3
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate93 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo
Video
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level4
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedYes
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate11471 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Containermpg
Path\\MEDIA-SERVER\Bluray\First Blood (1982)\First Blood (1982).mpg

I then tested with a TV Series that was also recorded in the HDHomerun DVR as an .mpg file. Again, this one transcodes in the App. It also worked fine on skipping forward/backwards all the way through.

Here is the media info on that one:

Media Info
Video
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level4
Resolution1280x720
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate59.94006
Bitrate8904 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Audio
CodecAC3
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate187 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo
Audio
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate375 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo
Containermpg
Path\\MEDIA-SERVER\TV Series\Archer\Season 7\Archer S07E02 The Handoff.mpg

The last file is a downloaded file in the .mkv format. This one direct plays in the App. Now this one did the same thing as I described above at a point near the end of the file. I sent you the log for this one. It occurred around 7:54 pm and the user is Jason.

Here is the media info for that file:

Media Info
Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x720
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate2977 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames5
NAL4
Audio
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate375 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Containermkv
Path\\MEDIA-SERVER\TV Series\Archer\Season 7\Archer S07E03 Deadly Prep.mkv

It almost seems like it's occurring on files that are direct played. Not sure why that would be.

I am also curious as to why the .mpg files transcode since they are essentially the same type of file as a .ts file in a different container.

Thanks. 

jasonmcroy

I am on version 1.1.90 and I don't see an option to use VLC so I figured it's using the internal player? 

Or, if I have it set for Direct Stream Live TV does that automatically use VLC or the internal player? I didn't know both were running in this version.

EDIT: By the way, I don't know if you have noticed this, but I saw last night that if you go into a season of a Series and there are previous seasons to the one you're watching and you don't have episodes in the earlier season folders, it creates the little flag across the corner of the earlier season poster but it says "Future". Shouldn't it say "Past" or something like that?

Edited by jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I just noticed another new issue I haven't seen before. I am not sure if you want me to start a new thread or not, but I am seeing some of my recent recordings that are giving me this error: "VIdeo playback error - failed to load video".

This seems to occur with the same type of recording format as other recordings that are playing back fine. I am running all my recordings now through the Emby Live TV interface and have them set to convert to MP4 while preserving the audio. 

I just tried an episode of Seinfeld and received that error above. I sent you a log. It happened at 3:15pm and the user is Jason.

I just recorded this episode over night along with 2 others. The other 2 recordings play back fine.

I just tried an episode of Seinfeld and received that error above. I sent you a log. It happened at 3:15pm and the user is Jason.

What's the audio format?

jasonmcroy

What's the audio format?

Media Info
Video
CodecH264

Codec tagavc1

AVCYes

ProfileHigh

Level41

Resolution1920x1080

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate29.97003

Bitrate6174 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames4

NAL4

Audio
Languageund

CodecAC3

Codec tagac-3

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate437 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

Containermp4
Path\\MEDIA-SERVER\TV Shows2\Seinfeld\Season 6\Seinfeld S06E09 The Secretary.mp4

jasonmcroy

And just to give you another sample, I am posting the media info of the episode that recorded right after the episode above and it plays back just fine:

Media Info
Video
CodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x1080
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate6163 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
NAL4
Audio
Languageund
CodecAC3
Codec tagac-3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate437 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Containermp4
Path\\MEDIA-SERVER\TV Shows2\Seinfeld\Season 6\Seinfeld S06E11 The Switch.mp4

jasonmcroy

I realize the issue I am posting here (and once above) is not how this thread started, but I am having the failed to start video error on almost every new recording now. 

I just sent you my latest logs from the App. It occurred about 4:04 pm and the user name is Jason.

Don't know what is different but it is related to the audio.  Setting the audio mode to downmix will probably solve it.

jasonmcroy

Were you able to reproduce it for yourself? 

I will do some more testing with down mix turned on and see what happens.

No, I can't reproduce it as it is somehow related to specific audio content.

There was one other person who had a similar problem with items that he had converted with handbrake or something similar.  He sent me a sample file and I did reproduce that with that particular item.

jasonmcroy

Ok. Well, I just did some testing and turned on down mix to stereo and I can confirm that the files that wouldn't play before at all will play with that setting on. If I put it back to direct, it fails to play the video.

I also tried the skipping feature with down mix turned on with 4 different TV Shows and I could not reproduce the issue on skipping with that option turned on.

By the way, I recorded a show last night and turned off the conversion feature and let it just record as a .ts file. It direct plays just fine and seemed to skip just fine but there were two points in the show where the audio dropped out for a second (not sure if it was a problem with the original recording or not) and after the second audio drop out the audio went out of sync. I finished watching the show in the SPMC app and it didn't seem to have any further issues. 

I don't like down mixing to stereo though, even though my receiver will convert back to 5.1 it sounds different to me on playback. It sounds better when I can use the direct method. 

It sucks because I moved my server computer upstairs to a closet because the cpu and fans were too much in the living room and now just try to watch everything from my Nvidia Shield which for the most part works great. The picture quality from the App is awesome.

I have been using SPMC (the Kodi Android fork) with the emby addon as a back up when the Emby app won't play a file and it works well except that skipping forward on SPMC is way more laggy than in your app. When skipping works on your app it's fast and responsive. 

I always prefer the Emby App for movies though since I don't have to do any skipping anyway.

Is this something that can eventually be tracked down and fixed as you evolve the app? 

The issue resides in the internal player trying to handle those specific audio tracks.  It appears that something in the conversion process is causing a problem with the player.  The best solution will probably be to turn off the conversion.

Kramerika

By the way, I recorded a show last night and turned off the conversion feature and let it just record as a .ts file. It direct plays just fine and seemed to skip just fine but there were two points in the show where the audio dropped out for a second (not sure if it was a problem with the original recording or not) and after the second audio drop out the audio went out of sync. I finished watching the show in the SPMC app and it didn't seem to have any further issues. 

I am having similar issues on the non-beta version of the server but beta version of the app on the Shield TV.  I tried keeping the recordings to the native TS + AC3 and having Emby convert it to MP4 + AAC, and both ways exhibit inconsistent behavior with fast-forwarding where the audio gets out of sync at times.  The only way to correct it is to pause or stop it altogether and start again although that is flaky as well.  I also use the SPMC app as an alternative, and it does not have this problem which I assume is related to different players being used for the apps.

According to my research .ts (transport stream) is not truly seekable due to a lack of positional (or maybe length) information in the stream.  For this reason, the Google player refuses to even attempt to seek them.  So, we use VLC for them or transcode them instead.

VLC attempts the seek using a "guessing" technique that appears to be fairly accurate but this may account for why the audio and video streams go out of sync in this case as the "guesses" may not be exactly the same for the two streams.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

According to my research .ts (transport stream) is not truly seekable due to a lack of positional (or maybe length) information in the stream.  For this reason, the Google player refuses to even attempt to seek them.  So, we use VLC for them or transcode them instead.

VLC attempts the seek using a "guessing" technique that appears to be fairly accurate but this may account for why the audio and video streams go out of sync in this case as the "guesses" may not be exactly the same for the two streams.

Interesting. So, when you convert a .ts file (to MP4 or MKV) do you still hit the same issue or does the conversion add the positional information? 

But the Shield TV player is the exoplayer right? Or do you have both in there and the App decides which one to use based on the file? 

This is very interesting to me because it helps me get over my frustration on this point. To be honest, I have even tried the Plex setup just to get a comparison in the Apps on the Shield, the Nexus Player and the Fire TV player. I see the same issue in their player with .ts files. It usually switches to transcoding as well and then skipping works (although on the Shield TV they don't even have it set up to skip forward/back, it fast forwards/rewinds but in a blind way so you can't tell where you are in the process - very frustrating). 

I notice when you skip forward in increments in a file that is being transcoded there is sometimes a lag or brief hang up while the transcoder tries to catch up or something. That is the only issue I run into with that. 

It has been my goal to figure all this out because I would love to only have my Shield TV in the Living Room and 90% of my usage is watching recorded TV and I am sadly hooked on commercial skipping. lol

The Kodi player also lags quite badly trying to skip, so I know this must be a challenge to get working correctly. 

Edited by jasonmcroy

The latest version of the app on the shield now also has VLC available to use in certain situations.

jasonmcroy

Cool. I will try it out and see how it responds. Thanks.