Play counts and watched status all messed up

moviemadnessman

moviemadnessman

I noticed this started sometime within the past week or so, and according to my activity logs the server has updated about once a day or so (running beta 3.0.5951.0 as of this post).  According to my Roku, quite a few of my watched movies are now marked as unwatched, and play counts show as 0 (I use the blue moon app).  Thinking this was a fluke, I used the official app, checked on my android app, and even used the web client, to the same effect.

Not all the movies reset, so I do not know how it chose to stop and why.  Nor have the play counts disappeared completely, which makes it even stranger (see picture):

572bec2a8d335_20160505at205250onMonitor_

Notice how, as an example with the Saw collection, only Saw, Saw 3, and Saw 6 are marked as watched.  This is far from correct, as they have all been watched many times.  I have the .nfo pulled open for Saw 2 (which is showing as unwatched and unplayed on all Emby apps), but the nfo is clearly showing that it has been played 57 times.

Again, I don't know how it is picking and choosing which movies to change, but somewhere within the past week the server or apps have stopped pulling the correct play counts (even for the ones that are still marked as watched, the play counts show as 0 on the roku, though the nfo has the correct playcount).  The only difference to this is Tuesday night I watched Saw, and when it finshed the Roku app went from saying 0x played to saying 6x played, and checking the nfo after that did show it had changed to 6 times (where it was over 50 in reality and showed as such this time last week).

So I guess I'm asking: did one of the recent beta server changes stop grabbing the play counts?  I've restarted my server and system several times and have run all scans, but this hasn't resolved itself.

• Like 1

Hi, as a test, try removing the MovieDb (tmdb) id, from one of the affected titles. Just set it to blank and let me know if that makes a difference. you may need to restart the server afterwards in order to clear some internal caches. thanks.

moviemadnessman

Hi, as a test, try removing the MovieDb (tmdb) id, from one of the affected titles. Just set it to blank and let me know if that makes a difference. you may need to restart the server afterwards in order to clear some internal caches. thanks.

Did this (using Saw 2 to keep everything consistent); saw no change.  Restarted server, no change.  Going to try scanning the library, so I will report if anything changes (once it finishes).

To be clear, I literally removed the <tmdbid>215</tmdbid> line from the file, then saved it.

Sorry...tried searching for this issue, but didn't find anything

Edited by moviemadnessman

ok, i meant using the emby interface. editing and scanning the library should have the same result though.

moviemadnessman

Upon doing the scan, it now shows Saw 2 as watched, and on my roku, shows the correct play count.

Does this help narrow down the cause of the issue? And if the fix is to remove all the tmdbids from my movie nfos...is there a bulk way, as i have thousands of movies.

Well you don't want to remove them. Truthfully I don't think the loss of user data is associated to any server update, but rather they're associated to metadata changes.

Let me explain. For movies, we associate your user data to MovieDb Id first, then Imdb Id if not present, followed by an internal Id if neither are present. At the time you first imported your movies into Emby, you must have only had an Imdb Id, so we associated the user data to that value, and watch data got saved using that value. But now, since then, at some point those movies got refreshed and now you have a MovieDb Id, which becomes the primary value, but that's not what your user data was saved under.

This is actually a scenario I'm working on handling during this server release cycle since we've seen it with a couple other people too. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I have an immediate fix for you other than using the multi-select tool to mark them watched using bulk operations. You could use some bulk xml editor to remove the Tmdb Ids all at once, but really I think it would be nice to keep that value for metadata purposes, so I personally wouldn't suggest that. I am looking at cascading the user data between all of the Ids, but I can't say when that will be ready so you might not want to wait for it.

Quiffster

So I guess I'm asking: did one of the recent beta server changes stop grabbing the play counts?  I've restarted my server and system several times and have run all scans, but this hasn't resolved itself.

Would be useful to have a "Me Too" button on the forum.  After the last Beta update - My "watched" status for hundreds (about 1100 of the 1250 or so in the library) of movies are now showing as 'unwatched'..

Steve.

moviemadnessman
Let me explain. For movies, we associate your user data to MovieDb Id first, then Imdb Id if not present, followed by an internal Id if neither are present. At the time you first imported your movies into Emby, you must have only had an Imdb Id, so we associated the user data to that value, and watch data got saved using that value. But now, since then, at some point those movies got refreshed and now you have a MovieDb Id, which becomes the primary value, but that's not what your user data was saved under.

Ok, fair enough ... but what caused this change, because it happened within the past week, and I have my server set to scan for new media every 8 hours, so all that information should have gotten messed up a while ago.

In addition, if it is associating user data to various ids and not using the information stored in the nfo (which also keeps track of the play count), then where is it getting that information from?  Clearly it still has all the information there, and it would seem that something like "If <playcount> exists, playcount.  Else, Playcount = 0" would be able to fix that...same with watched status.

It sounds like by adding information, instead of having more information, it acts like it has less information to work with.  It also doesn't really explain how it chose which movies to "forget" are watched, though, as that would imply that the scan is only adding this new id to some of the movies, even those that have been on the server a while.

I also wonder if this user data id issue has any correlation to the issue involving TV seasons being out of order, as in this thread: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34604-season-order-is-out-of-order/

Correct, the data should still be in the database, it's not just being used because it is tied to an ID that is  considered secondary now that your Tmdb Id is filled in. I am thinking about ways to handle this scenario but I don't have anything imminent so that's why I suggested some bulk marking with the multi-select tool.

geoff511

Hi,

Why when you write these programs do you try to make things so difficult ??

The simple way is to have the Emby program create a small .NFO file for each Movie / TV show / Series / Episode. This file contains the watched status and where (if only partially watched) position it is up to. That way IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH DATA BASE meta info etc. comes from or is updated to, Emby looks at it's .NFO file and works from it. At the same time Emby (if it finds metadata from other db's it can add it's info to it the same as it does now) and relay watched/unwatched status to that site.

But ALL Watched / Unwatched status will ALWAYS be correct and stop changing every night.

I have over 200 TV series on my server, and I never know what I've watched or not because Emby changes the watched / unwatched status all the time  - so I'm not really sure if Emby is worth using it or not.

Vidman

Hi,

The simple way is to have the Emby program create a small .NFO file for each Movie / TV show / Series / Episode. This file contains the watched status and where (if only partially watched) position it is up to. That way IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH DATA BASE meta info etc. comes from or is updated to, Emby looks at it's .NFO file and works from it. At the same time Emby (if it finds metadata from other db's it can add it's info to it the same as it does now) and relay watched/unwatched status to that site.

But ALL Watched / Unwatched status will ALWAYS be correct and stop changing every night.

I have over 200 TV series on my server, and I never know what I've watched or not because Emby changes the watched / unwatched status all the time - so I'm not really sure if Emby is worth using it or not.

I look forward to trying out your much simpler media server software

Hi,

I have over 200 TV series on my server, and I never know what I've watched or not because Emby changes the watched / unwatched status all the time  - so I'm not really sure if Emby is worth using it or not.

How can you be you sure Emby is changing the watched status? We do support watch status within nfo files. have you looked at the settings for that? also, have you searched for similar issues? You will find lots of threads where Emby writes the watch status to nfo, then some other program updates the nfo such as Sonarr, Sickbeard etc updates the nfo but doesn't preserve the watch data. Emby sees the change and updates based on the new nfo, which removes the watched status. Naturally, and unfortunately for us, users always assume it's an Emby problem. 

Please also keep in mind, this thread is related to recent changes in a pre-release version of the server, and should have no effect on your reflection of the stable release. If you are running stable, then these things will be worked out before release and as far as you're aware there will have never been an issue. Or, if you are running pre-release, then thank you for participating in testing.

moviemadnessman

Hey @@Luke,

I added the tmdbid back into my test nfo (saw 2), and emby has been seeing everything correctly in that regard (playcount intact, watched status and position).

However, obviously other counts are still off, seeing no playcount or watch status. Unsure if maybe removing the tmdbid allowed things to move to another id, then adding the id back had no change, i dunno. I have noticed there have been at least a server upgrade a day though.

Also, if it helps, I'm not using anything that would change the info in the nfo files, and in fact, emby is the only program that accesses a few of the drives to be honest. I just want my watched status and play count back...and tv shows to be listed in the correct order :)

EDIT: I see tv episode sort issue is resolved now, after restarting emby on my roku.

EDIT 2: I had a little time to check things out, and determined that the "missing" playcounts and watched statuses only "disappeared" from videos played between january 1st and april 15th of this year. All watched and plays from before the start of 2016 appear to be intact, as are all those played since mid april. Don't know if this helps, hopefully it will.

Edited by moviemadnessman

Mopar_Mudder

Haven't watched a movie in a couple of weeks and just noticed all of my movies are messed up also, this really blows.

As far as data base goes here is my take on it. A few months back I noticed that the movie video back drop was not downloading hardly any, I found out if runs off the TMDB and I had only been filling the IMDB in. So I added the TMBD to all of my movies and then the video back drops downloaded, awesome. Well then at that time it messed up all of my watched status because of that change, I accepted it because I did make a change and manually changed about 800 movies.

Now here we are again, but I have changed nothing, have not even added any media at all and I show 700+ movies unwatched when it should be in the 30's

Haven't watched a movie in a couple of weeks and just noticed all of my movies are messed up also, this really blows.

As far as data base goes here is my take on it. A few months back I noticed that the movie video back drop was not downloading hardly any, I found out if runs off the TMDB and I had only been filling the IMDB in. So I added the TMBD to all of my movies and then the video back drops downloaded, awesome. Well then at that time it messed up all of my watched status because of that change, I accepted it because I did make a change and manually changed about 800 movies.

Now here we are again, but I have changed nothing, have not even added any media at all and I show 700+ movies unwatched when it should be in the 30's

If you are running a pre-release version of the server, then thank you for your efforts in helping with the testing.

Mopar_Mudder

If you are running a pre-release version of the server, then thank you for your efforts in helping with the testing.

I am running Version 3.0.5958.0

Is their anything I can do to try and fix the watched status other then going through them all again?

• 3 months later...
Mopar_Mudder

It happened again. Emby was asking to install .NET or something like that and now my watch status is all boogered up again, this is getting old.

If something else alerts your metadata and does not preserve the watch state, emby will react to that. So I would ensure that is not happening. Emby did not do anything to your watch state in its own.