How do I get Emby to show trailer links?

jant90

jant90

When I'm browsing my movies library using the Emby web interface I don't see the "TRAILER" button for any of my movies. However, if I manually refresh the movie the trailer link appears as soon as I refresh the page. How do I set up Emby to get the trailer link right away when it finds and adds the movie to my library? I'm running Emby 3.0.5934.0 on Ubuntu Server 14.04. Made some screenshots:

post-106187-0-95132500-1462323041_thumb.png

Another thing I just noticed is that my watched/played status is removed if I refresh a movie. I the movie had the status "played" it is removed upon manually refreshing that movie, is that expected behavior? Because it seems like a bug to me.

Also, is this a weird (and small) bug? I have all my movies sorted alphabetically yet the movie "A.I. Artificial Inteligence" shows up under the I instead of the A, why is that? This also happens in Kodi. A screenshot of this weird sorting here:

post-106187-0-19872400-1462322689_thumb.png

Edited by jant90

When you add a new movie does it come with a pre-existing nfo created by another program (or as part of a download)? If so then that metadata is being used as the source. Then you hit the refresh button and Emby Server replaces it with metadata from the internet. 

• Like 1

Andrommy

Also, is this a weird (and small) bug? I have all my movies sorted alphabetically yet the movie "A.I. Artificial Inteligence" shows up under the I instead of the A, why is that? This also happens in Kodi. A screenshot of this weird sorting here:

attachicon.gifA.I..png

The simplest way is to manually set another sort name than the actual name.

• Like 1

jant90

When you add a new movie does it come with a pre-existing nfo created by another program (or as part of a download)? If so then that metadata is being used as the source. Then you hit the refresh button and Emby Server replaces it with metadata from the internet. 

Yes, you are right again :), that is indeed the case. I have CouchPotato add a XBMC/Kodi .nfo-file so Emby always identifies the correct movie (when I didn't have the .nfo-file in there it would occasionally identify the wrong movie or not identify it at all, this .nfo-file is more important for Plex - which has more trouble identifying movies - than it is for Emby by the way). I kinda expected Emby would take the info in there and then scrape any metadata that is missing or even update the metadata that it already found in the .nfo-file. But I now notice that is not the case at all.

Anyways, CouchPotato is also able to make an .nfo-file with just the IMDb link in it, would that give the desired effect for me? So by that I mean: will Emby use that IMDb link to identify the movie and then scrape all metadata for that movie using the configured metadata providers? Or will Emby always use the folder name to identify movies (which occasionally seems to go wrong)? I've tried this with a new movie just now and that movie has all the correct metadata scraped online by Emby but I'm not sure if the .nfo-file was actually used to identify the movie.

Also, is there a way to refresh all movies in my library (preferably without Emby resetting the played status for all those items)? In the metadata manager it's possible to do a "Full refresh" for my entire movies library path, will that refresh all individual movies that are inside that path? If it's not possible to keep played status I can sync it back from Trakt so it's not a big deal if they go lost I guess.

The simplest way is to manually set another sort name than the actual name.

Interesting, I changed the sort name to the actual movie name (so the same name it should have used for sorting anyways) and now it's listed under the A as it should:

post-106187-0-89272100-1462360892_thumb.png

Edit: I just realized what is going on with the sorting, in A.I. the A is thought to be an article (like "the") and thus is skipped for sorting purposes. However it seems articles are taken into account when they are entered in the sort name.

Edited by jant90

i would love to have emby supplement your existing nfo metadata but there are lots of crazy people who constantly complain about the amount of time the library scan takes. therefore, if you have pre-existing nfo, we assume that it's complete from a previous installation.

You can do refreshes from a top level folder using the metadata manager tool, although unfortunately at this time you won't be able to monitor the progress of the individual items getting refreshed.

A.i. I think is just a special case, you can just assign it a sort name and that should take care of it.

jant90

i would love to have emby supplement your existing nfo metadata but there are lots of crazy people who constantly complain about the amount of time the library scan takes. therefore, if you have pre-existing nfo, we assume that it's complete from a previous installation.

Thanks for clarifying that. So what if I just let CouchPotato put the IMDb link inside the nfo file, will Emby use that at all to identify the movie or not? If Emby doesn't use it I'm better off not generating an nfo at all.

You can do refreshes from a top level folder using the metadata manager tool, although unfortunately at this time you won't be able to monitor the progress of the individual items getting refreshed.

Just did that and now everything looks very pretty, awesome  ^_^. I checked played state for a couple of movies and they got lost, still think that's not what's supposed to happen so I'll report it again. I fixed this by syncing back my Trakt watched state to Emby.

A.i. I think is just a special case, you can just assign it a sort name and that should take care of it.

Yeah I agree, I just didn't understand what was going on so I'm perfectly happy with the fix :).