'Video Playback error - Failed to load video' error on Shield

virtualtinker
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

virtualtinker

Server version - 3.0.5933.0

Shield client version - 1.1.76g

So this has been going on for about 2 weeks now.  Prior to that, the media in question played without problems.  Tonight to make sure, I ended up doing a wipe of the Shield entirely and downloaded a fresh copy of Emby from the Play store. The problem still remains.  What happens is I attempt to play the media and an error is thrown, "Video Playback error - Failed to load video". As far as I can tell, the only media that is doing this is media that I had recorded then reencoded via VideoRedo.  The video will play fine if I attempt to view it through the web server client; it only seems to manifest so far when using the Android TV client on the Shield. Below is the media info of one of the files that wouldn't play.

I've also attached some fresh server logs after enabling debugging, restarting the server and recreating the problem.  I also used the 'Send logs' option in the Emby TV client at 11:07 PM Central time on 5/1.

Let me know if there are any further questions or anything else I can do to help fix the problem.  My kid is bothering the heck out of me because her Doc McStuffins won't work!

Thanks!

General
Unique ID                                : 328103287345009347874733127518647275247 (0xF6D665042CF2E2B939C311B95B50CEEF)
Complete name                            : \\media\Kids\Doc McStuffins (2012)\Season 3\Doc McStuffins - S03E01 - Slip 'N Slide.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 672 MiB
Duration                                 : 11mn 48s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 7 952 Kbps
Writing application                      : Lavf52.64.2
Writing library                          : Lavf52.64.2

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 3 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 7 410 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 19.2 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) fps
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.134
Stream size                              : 626 MiB (93%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 fps (1536 spf)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 32.4 MiB (5%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

server-63597739835.txt

Edited by virtualtinker

• Solution

enable the compatible audio setting. by default the app is now trying to use audio passthrough, but if your audio equipment doesn't support it then this will happen.

• Like 1

The problem is related to the Audio but I'm not sure why as, if your device just didn't support it, it should just have no sound.

What is the audio equipment that is attached?

virtualtinker

Switching to compatible did get the video to play properly again. Luke, you mentioned the app is now trying to do direct passthrough. Since it was working 2 weeks ago without problems, what was the behavior before? Was it doing 'compatible' out of the box?

Audio is playing direct from my TV, a Samsung JS8500. Looking at the specs in the owner's manual, these are the supported audio codecs on the TV when playing a video.

Dolby Digital
LPCM
ADPCM(IMA, MS)
AAC
HE-AAC
WMA
Dolby Digital Plus
MPEG(MP3)
DTS(Core, LBR)
G.711(A-Law, μ-Law)

This makes more sense why it didn't play if the TV doesn't support AC3; the vast majority of my videos are in AAC. I guess at the very least, like you mentioned ebr, if the video played with no audio, that would be good. Or if the error thrown was a bit more descriptive as to the audio not being supported, that would be good too.  Not sure how doable that is though.

In any case, I appreciate both of yours help thus far!

Your TV does support AC3 (DD) so, like I said, I don't think that is the actual problem.  If it were, the video would have played just without sound.

These items that you have re-encoded have something done to their audio stream that makes them incompatible with the player.  What, I don't know...

virtualtinker

Your TV does support AC3 (DD) so, like I said, I don't think that is the actual problem.  If it were, the video would have played just without sound.

These items that you have re-encoded have something done to their audio stream that makes them incompatible with the player.  What, I don't know...

If it helps, I copied up the episode that was giving me problems if being able to reproduce it yourself might help in understanding why this episode plays in compatible but not direct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0qbp44gagv7mh7/Doc%20McStuffins%20-%20S03E01%20-%20Slip%20%27N%20Slide.mkv?dl=0

It plays in compatible mode because that causes a transcode which just side-steps the real issue.

I'll see if I can determine anything.  Thanks.

That video failed to direct play on my system as well and I know my system supports DD just fine.

So, it is something with that particular audio track after going through the other program.

Heuer

As an aside I can tell you that if you use the Shield remote controller with headphones attached you get the 'Video failed to load' error on mkv files unless you switch the Shield TV to 'compatible' mode.

As an aside I can tell you that if you use the Shield remote controller with headphones attached you get the 'Video failed to load' error on mkv files unless you switch the Shield TV to 'compatible' mode.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the video container.  Again, likely the audio but I'm surprised it doesn't just play back without sound.

I can probably avoid that though, if I can discover that the headphones are plugged in - which I think I can.

Okay, I was able to reproduce the headphone issue and have solved that.

• Like 2

virtualtinker

That video failed to direct play on my system as well and I know my system supports DD just fine.

So, it is something with that particular audio track after going through the other program.

Thanks for checking on the file.  Can you better help me understand how compatible works? Does it transcode all audio or does the client make any attempt to direct play before transcoding? Just trying to understand what I am giving up if anything in making these videos work.  Thanks!

That option has been renamed to "downmix to stereo" in the next version which is what it does.  It will attempt to still direct play it but there are a lot of variables at play.