Incremental sync, discs spin up

Vaseer

Vaseer
I have 3 discs storage (unRAID). Every Monday at 2.00 AM Emby does weekly library scan and add new content to library. When library scan is done and new content is added and I turn on Kodi (Kodi has addon Emby for Kodi installed), Ebmy addon does incremental scan of library. While incremental scan is in progress, often 2 or all 3 discs spin up. Why is that?

I am not 100% certain but I think, that discs spin up only when new content is added to library (when there is no new content, discs don't spin up).

• Like 1

The only way to know if something on a drive has changed is to look at the contents of that drive and the only way to look at the contents of a drive is for it to be spinning.

Also, unRaid has the concept of "spin groups" so the behavior would be affected by that as well.

Vaseer

I understand that drive has to be spinning for data to be read from it. Spin groups aren't the reason because when I add new content to the drive only Disc 3 and Parity spin up (new content is added only do Disc 3).

I don't understand, why it has to be read twice - first when library is updated (Emby server) and second when incremental sync is done (Emby addon for Kodi).

Shouldn't Emby addon get data from library (Emby server)?

I understand that drive has to be spinning for data to be read from it. Spin groups aren't the reason because when I add new content to the drive only Disc 3 and Parity spin up (new content is added only do Disc 3).

I don't understand, why it has to be read twice - first when library is updated (Emby server) and second when incremental sync is done (Emby addon for Kodi).

Shouldn't Emby addon get data from library (Emby server)?

Library data yes, but images no. In order to prevent drive spin up, we'd have to keep a copy of every single image you have underneath the server's program data folder.

Vaseer

I there a way, to set different location for images and video info? In server I have SSD that server as cache drive.

• Like 1

puithove

Look at your kodi.log at the time when the incremental sync is going on.  It should tell you what is happening.  I believe as new items are synced to the kodi library, the addon is doing a check to see if the path to the item is directly accessible.  It does this by checking the existence of the path.  Any access to the path is going to make the server spin up idled drives hosting that path.